Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Key Ignatieff adviser dies in car/motorcycl crash (Read 78 times)
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Key Ignatieff adviser dies in car/motorcycl crash
08/12/10 at 10:03:43

Yet another Motorcyclist killed in Ottawa by guys "Not Seeing" them.
SUV turned left in front of the guy.
Drive safe guys. Cages are out to get you!
Guy was Director of Communications for the Leader of the Opposition up here.

Quote:
Charges are pending against a 49-year-old Quebec man after he crossed in front of a motorcyclist at Parkdale and Scott streets Thursday claiming the life of senior Ottawa political advisor, police said.

The victim is Mario Lague, 52, communications director for federal Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff. Lague was married with two children.

"He was a really great father. He was a great man," said Lague's daughter,

Arianne, through her tears on Thursday morning."He enjoyed life. We miss him already."

Rescue crews were called to the Westboro intersection just before 7 a.m. and arrived to find a motorcycle and SUV had collided. The motorcyclist was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics after attempts to resuscitate him failed.

Charges had not be laid by Ottawa police as of 12 p.m.

"I heard it happen and I thought jeez," said a witness who gave his name only as Steve who lives about 10 metres from the intersection. "It didn't sound like a normal accident. It wasn't a normal crunch. It was a really serious thud."

When he came outside it looked as though a blue motorcycle had T-boned an SUV from Quebec.

Police said Lague was heading eastbound on Scott when and SUV attempted to turn left onto Parkdale heading westbound on Scott.

The SUV turned right into Lague said police.

Steve said he saw the motorcyclist on the pavement in a large pool of blood.

His bike saddlebags had ripped off, the bike lay fender down on the road and paramedics were around the man.

Before emergency crews arrived Lague laid facedown in the street with a group of about 10 onlookers, including a construction worker who walked up to Lague.

Police were first on scene and immediately went to Lague's side and began stopping traffic.

Firefighters and paramedics arrived who began CPR.

"They were pumping on his chest," said Steve. "They were trying to resuscitate him."They stopped and then they put him on top of a gurney."

Paramedics wheeled him to an ambulance.

"The doors were open and they weren't doing anything. Pretty sure he was dead. I knew right and there."

The driver of the SUV had a neck brace and was treated by paramedics.

"I really feel for that poor man," said Steve, watching as investigators worked at the scene.

"And the poor (man)," adds the man beside him, referring to the driver of the SUV.

"(He's) is going to live, though. He didn't," says Steve.

Lague was also a public servant under Prime Ministers Jean Chrétien and Paul Martin and Ambassador to Costa Rica said Ignatieff in a statement.

“While we will miss Mario’s extensive talents, we will miss most of all his warmth, his humour, and his passion for Canada that inspired us all," he said.

“On behalf of the Liberal Party of Canada and our Parliamentary caucus, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family, loved ones and the many, many friends and colleagues that knew him.”

Road closures are in effect while collision investigators work at the scene.

Both Scott and Parkdale are shut leading to the intersection, and commuters should avoid the area if possible.

Kenneth.jackson@sunmedia.ca

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa/2010/08/12/14999061.html

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re:  Key Ignatieff adviser dies in car/motorcycl c
Reply #1 - 08/12/10 at 12:25:10

You ARE invisible.  That is not "ride as your are invisible" -- you are invisible.
You NEVER have the right-of-way until and unless the other has obviously yielded the right-of-way.
You CANNOT avoid the collision if you do not see.  

I drive in Los Angeles.  It is NOT relaxing.  If you want to hit be you have to be a better driver than I am.  You are not.  You are the Slithery Dee and you will not catch me:

http://andruschak.net/mike/SlitheryDee.mp3

WWW   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #2 - 08/12/10 at 18:11:34

Always a sad occurrence.  

Of course, quoting Shel Silverstein is always appropriate, Paladin!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #3 - 08/13/10 at 04:15:15

I thoroughly agree about your being invisible, unless you take steps to make yourself visible.

The law requiring headlights to be on helps only a very little bit, because study after study has shown that a fixed light source doesn't grab another's attention very much at all.  If you want to be seen, get a headlight modulator and hook up your tail light to it also.  That's why all emergency vehicle lights modulate.

Also, throw away that black jacket and black helmet; get attire that is brightly colored.  For instance, my jacket is bumble bee yellow, and my helmet is cherry red.

Then, in the end, still assume that no one sees you.  You can't be hit be someone turning left in front of you if you're not moving, or approaching any intersection with your brakes covered, head up, totally alert, and going slow enough to stop if you see any car ahead or going thru the intersection in any manner that could be a threat if the car driver screws up.

Don't mean to lecture, or to demean the tragedy that befell this fellow.  But with proper defensive attire, attitudes, and technique, many of these types of accidents can be avoided.  The life you save will be your own.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 05:49:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Key Ignatieff adviser dies in car/motorcycl crash

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.