tool kit (Read 268 times)
jspace
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

tool kit
08/05/10 at 21:00:01

hey,  
my savage never came with any tools in the tool box, so i thought i'd just ask what you guys tend to carry with you?  common wrench sizes and things like that.   ..also a real stupid newb question.  when you ride where exactly do you keep your registration and insurance stuff???  i just wrapped mine up in plastic zip lock bags and put it in the tool box hoping it wouldn't melt.    Grin

thanks

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Re: tool kit
Reply #1 - 08/05/10 at 21:18:10

I carry basic tools, allen wrenches, cresent wrench, screwdrivers, duct tape. Cel phone is the most important thing. I keep registration and insurance in my wallet.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #2 - 08/05/10 at 21:38:02

Carry something you can get your seat off with:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1274492241/0

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
tldk1678

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/06/10 at 05:45:16

Here is a link that shows what is in a stock tool kit.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1108327792

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 08/06/10 at 07:16:53

Digger's seat removal adapter is an excellent idea, though I have yet to make one up. The S40 also requires an allen wrench to remove the rear fastener on its one-piece seat, though that allen screw could easily be replaced with something else. When I mounted the windshield on mine, I also put the allen wrench that fits it into the tool kit. A tire pressure gauge would be good to have along.

I carry my registration and insurance card in a Zip-Loc bag inside the tool cover.

The most important tools you can carry will be a cell phone, a credit card, and an insurance card that covers road service and towing. Make sure it covers motorcycles, as many do not. Make sure it covers towing to an authorized repair facility for your machine, not just a tow to the nearest town. The idea of servicing a broken-down vehicle on the roadside is highly over-rated.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 08/06/10 at 11:39:51

I guess I have to quit riding I have never owned a cell phone.Charlie you are what they call a candy A$$ here in the land of motorcycles The Mid West.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #6 - 08/06/10 at 12:17:21

The only things that I have needed on the road while riding are a leatherman (which I was carrying on my belt), allen wrenches (I now carry a full set in my trunk (I did have the ones I needed with me, but it's easier to keep track of them in a set), a 10 mm wrench which I had a couple of in my tool pouch, and a magnet (which of course I didn't have which lead to me replacing a bolt that had fallen into the frame). For everything else, I've managed to make it home to my garage.

I think good preventive maintenance and thinking ahead are key to not getting stranded. My son has been stranded twice on his MC. Both times, I think it had to do with not thinking about keeping fuel in the tank.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 08/06/10 at 13:07:43

I don't wear a life preserver when I'm fishing/boating,because I don't plan on getting dumped in the water unexpected.

I still don't wear a seat belt (unless I'm forced to) because I don't plan on crashing,....let alone going rubber side up.

And I'm not packing a shop full of tools w/ me, because I don't plan on a bike failure,....let alone ever fixing anything on the roadside anyway.

But I do carry a $9 a month trac phone,......mainly because I have one anyway, and I really hate walking ! Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 08/07/10 at 09:09:02

Routy, my brother told me that when he got unexpectedly tossed out of the boat, he didn't have time to grab the life preserver he wasn't wearing. He considered himself quite fortunate he didn't hit his head on the way overboard, so was able to swim until rescued.

Bill, you are good at calling names, but not so good at posting anything useful.

My last failure was a simple nail in the rear tire on my KLR 650. When the tire went flat, it unseated from the rim and spun, ripping the valve stem out of the tube. Unless I had been carrying another tube, repair was simply not possible at roadside. Installing another tube requires removing the wheel from the bike, a difficult roadside job on a bike with no center stand. My cell phone, insurance, and credit card were the tools I needed.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 08/07/10 at 09:20:53

Charlie Sea Foam has been used by more people here than anything you had to offer, with amazing results.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #10 - 08/07/10 at 09:51:22

I have to say Progressive with the road side assistance added. (bought through a local reseller. I like to support my local community)

Just a phone call and they will come jump my battery, tow if needed, bring me gas, help fix a flat, etc.  Best 20 bucks I spent all year.

Having tools is good for tightening up anything that may jiggle lose. I haven't done any "real" repair work roadside. And I always carry a fuel bottle with almost a liter of regular 87 for those time I misjudge how far the reserve really gets me  Wink

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #11 - 08/07/10 at 10:46:12

Bill, read the topic of the thread. It is "tool kit". Unless you carry SeaFoam (that Heaven-sent mixture of two-stroke oil, lighter fluid, and rubbing alcohol) in your tool kit, you are off topic.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 08/07/10 at 10:51:11

Sorry Charlie a cell phone didn't come in my too kit.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 08/07/10 at 11:09:02

Tool kit is for handling something minor on the side of the road.
Most likely thing to be handled is adjusting something or tightening a bolt.

Any kit you get will need 8, 10, 12 and 14mm socket and wrench sizes, a 6in1 screwdriver would be great.  With an adjustable metric wrench and a plug wrench you could handle most everything.  Not saying you'll get everything tightened to spec, but tight enough to get home.

Using the stock kit for getting the tank off is painful, but can be done.
I've replaced the seat bolts with locking speed pins, have considered doing the same with the tank.

And of course for everything else a cell phone is handy.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 08/07/10 at 11:45:04

With a cell phone you can call your local ACE hardware and they will bring any tool you need out to you.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:23:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tool kit

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.