Tailgating (Read 402 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Re: Tailgating
Reply #15 - 08/08/10 at 00:04:34

On the news sounded like they were trying to lay the blame on a vehicle pulled clean off the road.
Supposedly the bus driver never even seen the SEMI and SUV stopped in the road!
Sounded to me like the bus driver wasnt paying attention and needs her arse tossed in jail for manslaughter.
There was NOTHING on the highway between her and the suv she ran over but empty space. And she didnt see it or the semi, and was it construction or another accident, cant remember now.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #16 - 08/08/10 at 06:35:56

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=210751&odyssey=mod_mostread

Another report said the first bus had moved left to give more room to a stopped vehicle on the shoulder. The driver was checking her mirror while (or before) she moved back to the right lane, and didn't see the stopped pickup/semi tractor crash in time. The second bus was said to have been following too closely.

When I took the training course to drive a school bus, the instructor said the most dangerous seats in the bus were the two at the rear, because of rear-end hits. And in this crash, the girl in the back seat was the one killed. Oddly enough, those back seats are in highest demand by the students.

There seems to be enough blame to go around. The pickup driver seems to have caused the first crash by hitting the stopped semi tractor. The rear lights on a bobtail semi aren't as obvious as they could be, since they are on the frame inside the rear wheels. That may help explain why the pickup driver didn't stop, but under the circumstances he cannot be questioned. The ensuing bus collisions are probably a combination of inattention and following too close. Legal penalties will undoubtedly follow, but both bus drivers have to live with their mistakes for the rest of their lives.

Now, let me ask. Which of us has never followed too closely? Which of us has never disobeyed a traffic law? Which of us has never made a mistake, whether or not it broke a law? Let him who is without sin...

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 08/08/10 at 07:05:41

Driving a motorcycle or car is little like playing a sport some people just aren't good at it no matter how much they practice.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #18 - 08/08/10 at 09:44:24

Bill, many many moons ago i came to the conclusion there are some folks that should NEVER have a license to drive.
Im a firm beleiver that after a certain age there should be a mandatory retakeing of the written and driveing test as well every few years.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 08/08/10 at 12:08:18

Charon wrote on 08/08/10 at 06:35:56:
There seems to be enough blame to go around. The pickup driver seems to have caused the first crash by hitting the stopped semi tractor. The rear lights on a bobtail semi aren't as obvious as they could be, since they are on the frame inside the rear wheels. That may help explain why the pickup driver didn't stop, but under the circumstances he cannot be questioned. The ensuing bus collisions are probably a combination of inattention and following too close. Legal penalties will undoubtedly follow, but both bus drivers have to live with their mistakes for the rest of their lives.

My 1st thought was, what made the semi stop?  and can he be at fault for stopping well short rather than slowing?  Stopping well short of traffic means there was no surrounding lights to indicate an all lanes slowing or stoppage.  A young man wouldn't have the experience to be on the alert for a stoppage so I can easily see him ramming the semi w/o regard to how well the brake lites shown.  But the 75 yr old bus driver hit him at near full speed.  That pickup couldn't have been better smashed than in a car compactor.  Insult to injury was the second bus finishing the job.  Which btw shouldn't be held at fault.  If the 1st bus had pulled over would've completely obscured his view.  If the 1st bus made a safe stop, he could've done the same.  But the 2 second rule (which probably is much more for buses) only allows enough time to react to the 1st cars actions, and requires that the 1st actions are safe.  In such events with minimal spacing, whatever happens to the 1st vehicle will happen the 2nd.

WWW   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #20 - 08/08/10 at 17:14:18

Wolfman wrote on 08/08/10 at 09:44:24:
Bill, many many moons ago i came to the conclusion there are some folks that should NEVER have a license to drive.
Im a firm beleiver that after a certain age there should be a mandatory retakeing of the written and driveing test as well every few years.

I've said the same thing several times on this list and others.  I live near the hospital and my town is full of retirees and there are more than a few that flat out could not pass an vision test, and certainly not a driving test.

It is a constant threat to cages AND bikes here because too many elder folks just pull on out, dont see oncoming traffic, and some cant even see over the steering wheel.

There is a woman who stops by my office every so often and she honks the horn for us to come out to her because she has trouble opening her car door due to being so small and frail. She looks THRU the steering wheel because she is so low in the seat, and of course, its a huge boat of an old Buick that could easily mow down multiple other cars or bikes and she wouldnt see, hear or feel a thing.

There have been 6 cases of people running into BUILDINGS here over 2 years - they dont even know what gear the car is in!

I'm not saying everyone cannot drive at 80+, but you should be tested to prove you CAN annually after age 69 or so when the vision starts to waver and the reflexes slow down.  

My grandfather drove at 92 but I sure never wanted to be in the car with him when he was driving!  Shocked

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #21 - 08/08/10 at 17:30:46

The older I get the less accidents I have.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #22 - 08/08/10 at 17:51:13

At least one of the reports said the bobtail semi either slowed or stopped because of a traffic backup from construction a mile ahead. The pickup rear-ended the bobtail. The first bus hit the pickup and pushed it up onto the bobtail. The second bus hit the first bus and pushed it on top of the pickup, crushing the pickup.

When I drove a semi the "approved" following distance was seven seconds. I couldn't remember the reasoning, and attempted to find it. It seems to be one second for every ten feet of overall length, and since most semis are about 65 feet long it ends up seven seconds. Buses are not as long, so presumably their following distance would be more like four seconds. Interestingly, the links that showed up for various States' driving manuals are now recommending three seconds instead of the older two even for passenger cars.

I have long thought ALL drivers should be periodically retested. Pilots are required to undergo a flight review every two years. Once into the Private Pilot ranks there is also a requirement for a physical exam every two years, just as there is for commercial drivers. Trouble is, the expense both for the driver and the State examining offices would be high, and the political fallout would be disastrous. Perhaps just as bad, many if not most drivers would simply opt to drive without licensing and thus exacerbate the problem.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #23 - 08/09/10 at 00:44:27

Another thing is those that have been through physical therapy for things such as strokes.
The docs rely on the therapist to tell them if they think their safe to drive.
Test is if they can get in and out of a car by themselves????
After a major injury they should have to retake the test but they dont.
Dad gave up his keys after a gal rear ended him and blamed him(was HER fault!)
Mom i had to take her keys away from her. I still get greif for that as she thinks shes fine to drive. I wouldnt ride with her before her stroke as she scared the HE!! out of me.

Id be fine with everyone haveing to retake the written and driveing test every 3rd renewal or so untill 60 then every renewal after that.
Yeah most are still good at 60 but some arent and it would save some lives.

Standard procedure is 1 car length for every 10 miles an hour your traveling. Thats fine for passanger cars and pickups with good brakes. On a loaded 10 wheeler, bus or semi it just aint enough.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #24 - 08/09/10 at 03:07:06

All the accidents around here are always young people under 50 years old.I guess before all the driver training baloney people learned to think for them selfs.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #25 - 08/09/10 at 03:47:17

Youngsters have the reflexs but not the skills or experiance. They overdrive their 'perceived skills'.
Oldsters have the experiance and skills but reflexs are'nt what they used to be. Eyesight is another hinderance.
As with firearms and hunter safety the older crowd gets complacent. They have done something a thousand times and it gets to where they do it by rote(habit). This can and does lead to accidents with firearms and in/on vehicles. They expect the results to be the same as it always has before.

So far three riders have went down on the road to sturgis so far this year. Youngest was 57, oldest was 67 i think it was.
All three according to the state patrol was rear tire failure due to overloading and probably underinflation(blowouts).
Youd think they would of known better at that age.

Got to remember there are generaly more younger drivers percentage wise if you go by age groups then the older group. So you see more youngsters in accidents.
Percentage wise the over 50 crowd has more accidents per their age group though.

On that note of the half dozen bike accidents localy the last couple months ALL have been over 50 except for one 47 year old. And sounded like he overrode his bike and highsided and the bike rolled over him.

All of us have to admit we're not the young bucks/buckettes we were 10/20 years ago. Reflexs have slowed, strength aint the same, eyesight has dimmed, and theres a LOT of things we do just as we have done a thousand times before without even thinking about it. And sometimes that gets us in trouble. Shocked

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #26 - 08/09/10 at 06:13:15

My kids had a WI game that tested what age you were,Some of it was to do with balance,I came out 35 years old all my kids came out higher than me,My youngest daughter was next lowest with a 36,I was a carpenter I climbed and moved a lot,I didn't sit at a desk,When we were kids we walked on on stiles,play on railroad tracks jumping from one to the other,Walked on one rail for miles at a time,I'm sure kids to day with computers and I pods want learn a lot about balance.We were always making something to play with,Not sitting on a couch exersizing our fingers.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #27 - 08/09/10 at 06:36:39

The issues surrounding older drivers are only going to get worse, as we baby boomers, who are the largest bulge in the population curve, grow into our senior years.

I have no problem being re-tested, or better, required to take a safety course every few years once past, say, age 70.  I'm now 63, and quite frankly, haven't lost much yet.  Once in a blue moon I can tell that I've lost just a little bit of what I once had as a driver, but I'm talking about the top end of my skill level, as I once raced many eons ago, and had a national level competition license.

What Charon mentioned about pilots is true - we take what is called a "flight review" every two years, administered by a licensed flight instructor.  That's better than a re-test, because the instructor tailors the review to the kind of flying each pilot does.  For instance, one guy may have a light sport plane that he only flies locally on nice days at rural airports, while another guy may be using a 200 mph business type aircraft for long distance travel and who flies in less ideal weather.  The skills needed to be safe in each of those two environments are quite different.

Same for cars - the problem is that the auto world doesn't have the same set of instructors.  Going to the typical driving teacher is worthless - I recently was talking with one who didn't even know how to drift thru a curve, and who, herself, could not drive a manual transmission car.  The typical driving school that kids attend to get their licenses is a joke.  Just don't exceed the speed limit, signal every turn and lane change, and don't knock over the cones in the parkling test - then you are deemed a good driver.  What crap.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #28 - 08/09/10 at 09:01:53

I've driven this stretch of 44 during construction. You get plenty of warning that the left lane is closing ahead, but invariably as traffic slows down to merge two lanes into one you get someone that has to shoot right to the leading edge of the merge and cut someone off leading to everyone behind them doing a semi-panic stop. It's usually a sportscar or bigazz SUV, never a minivan or semi. Either way the results are the same. If you travel around road construction, you look for, even expect it. It would seem to me inexperience or lack of attention, not age, is the factor.
 It sounds like the semi was reacting to traffic in front of him. It wouldn't be hard for a kid in a SUV to miss the low and narrow brakelights of an unloaded tractor. There's one accident. You'd think experienced school bus drivers would be looking for and expecting slow downs in an area like this. The first driver gets my guarded consideration for having their attention diverted to immediate trouble to their side. They should also know to recover ASAP. The second driver, knowing the hazards and weaknesses of their own vehicle, was traveling too fast/ not maintaining distance for the vehicles involved. After listening to the blurbs and people in the area talk, my guess NOW is they were ALL following to close to keep from having other cars "butt in line" in front of them. Hell of a price to pay for a couple hundred yard of traffic space. The bus drivers and their companies will get the brunt of the blame, but the selfish attitude and lack of common sense of surrounding drivers seem to be contributing factors.

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #29 - 08/09/10 at 13:22:16

Common sense or lack there of and impatiance seem to be a big factor in accidents anymore regardless of age.
Our society has got to the point everyone is in a hurry anymore. Need their food faster, the need to be first in line, and cell phones, I-phones ect all contribute. Wouldnt bother me a bit if they had motion sensors in the stupid things that disabled them if you were going over 5 or 10 miles an hour.

I had two different jerks pull right out in front of me yesterday in the wal-mart parking lot. I was'nt watching for that kind of nonsense i would of easily T-boned them. Had my youngest on the back so i just had to behave myself and NOT let them know what i thought of them.
BOTH looked right at me before pulling out right in front of me.

I honestly think more drivers would be respectfull of bikers IF they thought they were more of a danger to them like another car is or a semi. They think bikes can stop on a dime and their safe in their cages. Where as getting broadsided by a semi or car might HURT them. Roll Eyes
Maybe if we put stickers on our bikes and did a few adds saying (Caution-explodes on impact) they might give us a lil more room/respect. Wink

Bill, no argument here, most kids aint got a clue now days compared to how we grew up. 5 mile ride to town on a bicycle to a ballgame or the fair was'nt even an afterthought for us.
Can you imagen trying to get enough guys together now days in 90+ degree heat to haul in 2000 or more bales a day everyday for the first few weeks of summer???? For 3-5 cnts a bale? Not happening.
Getting them to walk anywhere? Getting them to work and earn anything they get?(McDonalds and Taco Bell dont count in my book).
Its gimme gimme and set on their arse for most of them now days.
Cars, cell phones, x-box's, computers ect just fall in their laps for the asking. We had to earn most everything we got.

I saw a lot of 'giveaways' when working as a firearms and hunter safety instructor. Some instructors just pushed em through like an assembly line so they could get their points and awards, really ticked me off. I didnt care squat about the awards or points.
When they went through my classes they earned everything they got. Passed or failed on their own merits, no gimmies here.(I got to hunt around these knotheads.)
Scariest thing was the adults(some of them) takeing the classes to hunt out west. Folks that had hunted for 15 or 20 years. Or the odd hunter you ran into afield. I spend as much time watching for other hunters anymore as i do watching for deer or turkeys. Spooky!

Society has gotten soft, from the bottom of the age group to the top. Everyone is in a hurry, has no patiance and their attention span is usualy in seconds not minutes.
As for drivers ed its a bad joke, same deal. Push em through like an assembly line and help em pass if they cant do it on theirn own.

Course we had an edge. We usualy started driveing when we were 10 or 12 in the hay fields or around the farm doing chores. (Running the roads to...lol)
By the time we were old enough to 'legaly' drive we usualy had 4 or 5 years experiance when we took the test.

Biggest problem now days with the younger crowd and bikes is over confidance. "Yeah an R6R or 900RR is a good starter bike, or take it easy and that 1000cc cruiser is a good starter bike". Roll Eyes
Nimrods with no common sense, maybe 6 months in the saddle(and even some old timers) telling beginners those types are good starters 'if your carefull'.
Its like giveing a 10 year old a full auto and half a dozen mags and saying go shoot something. Someones going to get hurt eventualy.
I think britain has it right. Have to start under a certain cc level and ride for so long before you can move up. They have like 3 or 4 different levels you have to go through.

Need something on that order for new drivers here, limit the HP on vehicles they can drive. Make the driveing tests harder and retest EVERYONE on some kind of schedule. Might not make a BIG differance but it would make a differance. The life it saved might be yours(or MINE!) Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 02:35:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › Tailgating

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.