Send Topic Print
Gas Mileage? (Read 406 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Gas Mileage?
Reply #15 - 07/25/10 at 18:12:31

Charlie why are cars geared a lot higher than they were years ago,And if you want your S40 to get better mileage just forget about fifth and leave it in fourth.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #16 - 07/25/10 at 18:16:53

1996 with Jardine pipe - no carb mods - stock filter 7K miles - 87Oct. no ethanol - 400lbs rider 50mpg regularly - never over 50mph - no highways etc - just to & from owrk 45-50 zones

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 07/25/10 at 19:58:57

Oddly enough, the article in the September 1996 Motorcycle Consumer News mentioned that the new 5-speed version of the Savage got poorer mileage than the older 4-speed version, and the reviewer hypothesized that Suzuki messed with a good thing. He said he left the bike in 4th for a tank of fuel, and the mileage went up 7.6% from the previous five tanks run in 5th. Perhaps the bike is geared too high instead of too low. Nonetheless, documented experimentation is the way to find out.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 07/25/10 at 20:32:55

surely this is odd, but the 4speed is slightly higher geared.  I don't think it's enough for 8% better gas mileage.  that would be better explained by one less gear shift.  And with the 5speed came leaner jets.  So lean that when I went from a stock 145 to a 150, i got better gas mileage.  So if anything it wasn't zuki's fault, blame the epa.

WWW   IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #19 - 07/26/10 at 05:27:30

I keep a record each time I get gas and for the last 50 times my mpg is between 58-63. This makes hd riders at work cry.

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #20 - 07/26/10 at 05:31:22

To answer james may: Quoting Widipedia 'Royal Enfield is now the oldest motorcycle brand in the world still in production with the Bullet model enjoying the longest motorcycle production run of all time'. First in England, of course, and now in India.

The 500cc Bullet thumper has about the same horsepower/torque and weight of the Savage/S40. It's been modernized to fuel-injection (claiming 85MPG), electronic ignition, front disc brake, and a unit construction engine. Two-year unlimited miles warranty. See http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/models/classic-g5.html

It's chain driven and much more handsome than the Savage/S40 if you prefer standards to cruisers, as I do. A cafe racer, trials, and continental kit are offered. I'm thinking of getting one. Cheaper than a Savage-based Ryca conversion. See http://www.rycamotors.com/

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 07/26/10 at 06:36:12

That ryca bike is cool, what is the price tag for a conversion?

I have 9 bikes and the gearing has been changed on nearly all of them.  Near 100% of the time the gas mileage goes up when taller gearing is added to a bike especially over 250cc bikes.

My 500 customized Vulcan has seen 66 MPG it averages 57 mpg and its mostly in town riding with the low being 52.  My 500 Ninja has seen 65 MPG and it will run 132 MPH. Its had a drastic change 9 smaller on the rear a 1 up on the front.

My Triumph Bonneville went from 42 to 50 mpg after i went up 2 teeth on the front sprocket.  taller gearing works!

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #22 - 07/26/10 at 06:50:32

I get between 35 and 40. jardine pipe with the baffles blown out, cone air filter, 155 main jet, don't recall the pilot, stock white spacer.

no clue why i get such poor gas mileage. i mean, i do get on it and live in a hilly area, but there i haven't figured out why i'm getting this low...

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #23 - 07/26/10 at 08:53:29

Fully Filled tank....until I ran out of gas on the super-slab was 138 miles.

Works out to 49.29 miles/gal. Filled with 93 (10% E)

Road with a Harley Night-Train and Road King for the day.
I was gunning it on the back-roads to keep up, mostly hanging around 50-60 & cruising it at 70+ on the slab.

Oh and I keep a 950 ml (about .25 gallons or a quart) gas bottle I used to use for camping in m bags. It's my Extra-Reserve to get me to the station...if I ever run dry. Saved my Arse more than a few time from walkin'.

And that's about what I get around town too.. 50mpg

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #24 - 07/26/10 at 10:58:20

This is the fuelly page for my '06 S40: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/sjaskow/savage-ls650.  It's got mileage back to the first time I put gas in it in August of 2007.  The bike is 100% stock with the exception of a Suzuki wind screen.

If you don't want to read the data, I get between 58-60 mpg on my normal commute loop which is about 85% surface streets and 15% interstate, i.e. 70 mph+.

I can get mid 60's if I keep off the interstate and keep the speeds down to 55 or less.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #25 - 07/27/10 at 09:54:27

sjaskow - FSO wrote on 07/26/10 at 10:58:20:
If you don't want to read the data, I get between 58-60 mpg on my normal commute loop which is about 85% surface streets and 15% interstate, i.e. 70 mph+.

I can get mid 60's if I keep off the interstate and keep the speeds down to 55 or less.

well, i guess i found some reasoning behind my poor mileage. i ride all twisties to and from work, and i make it a goal to get above 70 every time i can. lots of accelerating and stopping. lots of fun.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #26 - 07/27/10 at 10:50:51

Whenever I ride a trip with speeds between 45-55 and try to be relaxed on the throttle I can get up to 63mpg, like last weekend when we did the Talimena Scenic Drive at night. Whenever I fix something on the bike and the make a test run, usually on Hwy 69 North for about 15 miles and turn around and go back, which is usually done at full throttle most of the time with keeping it around 85-90+ then it starts drinking and can drop to as low as 40mpg. Usually we have south winds and then it redlines at around 95. On the way back you can feel the head wind and it struggles to go above 85. On a tour on the open Highway with maintaining 70-75 it does around 50-55 mpg. Then I try to give just enough throttle to stay at that speed. Throttle position is a big factor on my bike.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #27 - 07/27/10 at 10:51:14

Your bike get the same milage as mine or anybody else does. Its the rider and its habits that makes up the difference. I could get 60 mpg too, but I'll never ride like that, it'll never happen. Having said that,...will tuning make 5mpg difference ? Possibly. But if one bike is getting 10-15 mpg more than the other side by side, I'll garantee you one of them is going to be smokin.....or at least a real smogger.
spacepirates wrote on 07/27/10 at 09:54:27:
sjaskow - FSO wrote on 07/26/10 at 10:58:20:

well, i guess i found some reasoning behind my poor mileage. i ride all twisties to and from work, and i make it a goal to get above 70 every time i can. lots of accelerating and stopping. lots of fun.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #28 - 07/27/10 at 12:59:12

Which prompts my next question, what grade to you fill with? I use the cheap 87, does a higher grade help with the backfiring?

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 07/27/10 at 13:55:17

I have found from testing on these low compression mild timing bikes its a TOTAL waste of money to burn anything other than 87 octane fuel.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:18:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas Mileage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.