Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Windshield fits Savage but not S models ??? (Read 414 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Windshield fits Savage but not S models ???
07/11/10 at 07:06:39

Anyone know why this http://www.jcwhitney.com/plexifairing-3-skirted-windshields/p2000674.jcwx?_re... will fit Savage, but not the S models ? Anyhow, thats what JCW says.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Windshield fits Savage but not S models ???
Reply #1 - 07/11/10 at 07:11:49

think its handle bar mounted bars changed not sure of the year..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 07/11/10 at 07:14:59

I put a Plexifairing 3 on my S40, and had some problems. It cannot be mounted in the recommended position behind the turn signals without hitting the tank when the handlebars are turned to the limits. Too, the mounting bracket on the right side only JUST fits between the bar bracket and the master cylinder, and then only at one angle. The support rod then only just clears the master cylinder. I mounted it in front of the signals, which caused it tilt back more than optimum, but it worked. I also sawed an inch or so off the top, which was a matter of personal preference.

I communicated with National Cycle about the thing, and recommended that they "de-list" the S40 as an application for that windshield. So, I'm the culprit.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 07/11/10 at 09:47:29

Thanks for those replies.

If anyone knows of a similar shield that will fit the s40 correctly, please URL it here.

Thanks

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/11/10 at 10:46:56

The top part mounting for that is basically the same as the sport shield, so that should work w/o a major effort.

to ease mounting of the lowers, you could reposition the signals to forward of the forks by flipping over the brackets, i.e., dropping the forks, removing the signal, inverting it and putting it back on.  Also, you can lift the signal on the fork to match where the split is on the upper and lower.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 07/11/10 at 11:20:34

I thought about trying to turn the signals over, but the windshield was supposed to fit as sold. Even with the signals altered I'm not sure the windshield would fit, and I'm not willing to go to that much work to find out. Had it not been that I was planning a long trip very shortly, I'd have returned the windshield instead of fooling with it. The actual mounting of the lowers was not the problem in any case. The hardware worked. The problem was the windshield itself.  More strictly, the S40 was the problem. In stock form, when the bars are turned to either side, the rear of the turn signal is actually under the tank, leaving no room for the roughly vertical lower on the windshield. If fault is to be found, it is with National Cycle (maker of the Plexifairing) for not verifying fit before listing the application.

« Last Edit: 07/11/10 at 14:11:39 by Charon »  

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 07/11/10 at 14:43:26

I used die grinder to relieve the area of interference around the light stem when I put a full fairing/shield on the sidecar tug. Your are right, it is a bad listing, I thought it was because the tug had wider aftermarket bars with a different bend to them.   Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 07/17/10 at 05:59:54

So do I have to conclude that there is no winshield/fairing such as the plexi-3 that will fit the S-40 ? I spent an hour at the local shop here yesterday, and they can't come up w/ anything positive on it either. Any type of windsheild that is 30" wide to cover hands, does not list the s-40. The shop seems to think they can adapt one of them, but I don't want to get stuck w/ a $230 sheild that doesn't fit right.

Any other suggestions ?

Routy wrote on 07/11/10 at 09:47:29:
Thanks for those replies.

If anyone knows of a similar shield that will fit the s40 correctly, please URL it here.

Thanks

Rich
  IP Logged
Trish
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/17/10 at 07:30:12

I purchased this one from eBay, as I have drag/straight bars, not buck horns. It was an EASY install and is the PERFECT height, for bugs, rain, wind, etc. They did go up a little on the price with it, but,

I'm a CHICK and put it on in about 15 min...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270601455312&vi...

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 07/17/10 at 18:56:18

Thanks Trish,
That is a really good price for that shield w/ that much hardware.

I am looking for a larger one, and that will be fork mounted. I really want a faring type that covers hands in cold weather, but I have given up on that. So I'm into like a "Memphis Fats" type,...just a larger version of yours. I have the small Slipstreamer Spitfire now, but it sets 5" above the headlite, and just too small at the top.

I saw a "Savage" tonite, and noticed that the directional lites are in front of the forks, opposed to being in the back like mine, which is why some windshields don't fit both bikes.

Thanks again

Rich
  IP Logged
ebmiller2

Bel Air, MD
Reply #10 - 07/18/10 at 14:15:13

The Slip Streamer Falcon SS-32-20-C is fork mounted, and may work.  Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Joe F

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/18/10 at 15:00:34

I have an ss-32-16 that works fine on my S40

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 07/18/10 at 19:22:26

Thanks for replys.
But I really hate to order a windshield that is plainly not listed to fit the s-40, which neither the SS-30 or SS-32 is. Maybe some phone calls will get me some positive answers. This has been a real PITA Angry

Rich
  IP Logged
Joe F

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/20/10 at 16:36:09

The Slip Streamer SS-32-16 Falcon is fork mounted and fits the S40.  It comes with two different thicknesses of rubber to wrap around the forks under the mounts.  I used the thicker pieces with my 2007 S40.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 07/20/10 at 21:14:13

If you go by the chart on Bike Bandit's site, and several others, it is not listed to fit the S40. But other sites use Slipstreamers own fitment chart, and there it plainly shows it to fit the S40.
Thanks all for verifying that it really does fit.
I ordered the SS-32-20 Falcon,....will be here Monday.

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:22:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Windshield fits Savage but not S models ???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.