In desperate need! (Read 176 times)
ashkun
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

In desperate need!
07/14/10 at 16:55:34

Hi folks,

One of my wires shorted against the gas tank and melted a good number of wires in the main harness.  I have a 1995 and the clymers manual showed that this was the ONLY year different than those older or newer models.

New OEM parts are discontinued for my year, and recyclers put a call out nationwide to no avail. I took my chance with a 2001 s40 harness off ebay knowing I could do some minor mods if needed. I got it today and too many plugs are different sizes and male/females are switched not to mention this one has smaller gauge wire.

Why am I in desperate need? I start grad school in a month (plus get married in September) so my buddies planned a 3 week ride/camping trip as sort of a last hurrah. We were supposed to leave this Friday.

Anyone have a source for the main harness? or even any ideas? It would be too risky for me to try and fix the current one or mod this newer one.

Thanks
:'(

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: In desperate need!
Reply #1 - 07/14/10 at 17:25:59

one wire burnt a number of  other wires & the (a) fuse didn't blow?

get a volt ohm meter and "ring out" (check)every wire for a "fault"or short both ways > & <
take your time be persestint
then try
butt splicing color to color with crimp on splicers...
get a couple of 5 amp or less fuss fuss in case you missed something..

think you (or?) pinched a wire putting the tank back on..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 07/14/10 at 17:41:06

I had an LED running light bulb short out and lost about 6ft of wiring under the seat, up to the tank... had to replace about 6 wires... darn fuse took it's time blowing...
Cut and splice,... cut and splice...  it's been okay since...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ashkun
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/14/10 at 17:49:16

I would cut and splice if it weren't for that one wire melting the insulation of its own and three surrounding wires. The four have now become one wire.

Two of the plugs are melted beyond repair. The fuse blew once a while ago. Replaced it with another 20A and it was fine for a week. Then the next time it blew any replacement would blow instantly and that's when I took the tank off to see the mess that happened.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/14/10 at 17:55:33

Yup,.. you have to backtrack past all the melty and brittle wire,... toss it all, and work your way back...
...easier for me than a full wiring harness replacement...
..but still a bugger...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/14/10 at 20:07:46

ashkun wrote on 07/14/10 at 17:49:16:
I would cut and splice if it weren't for that one wire melting the insulation of its own and three surrounding wires. The four have now become one wire.

Two of the plugs are melted beyond repair. The fuse blew once a while ago. Replaced it with another 20A and it was fine for a week. Then the next time it blew any replacement would blow instantly and that's when I took the tank off to see the mess that happened.

This is why I said to the last couple of guys to dig into it.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/14/10 at 23:50:30

A wiring harness connector can be had at a junkyard. Cut the harness off on both sides of the connector long enough to solve the problem or just hack a coup0le of connectors ou w/ enough wires in them to be able to wire them into the wiring on the bike. Some tail lamp connectors have 4 in them, maybe more, but I cant see why..Replacemenst dont have to be Suzuki.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #7 - 07/15/10 at 03:54:59

If you can circle which connectors you need from a wiring diagram let me know and I'll see if I still have it. You can have it free of charge, if it's compatible

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 07/15/10 at 21:21:56

Here is a good source for the connectors on our bikes (at least for mine (see signature)):

http://www.vintageconnections.com/

The owner is really helpful and knowledgeable.  I've had nothing but positive experiences with this company.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 14:06:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › In desperate need!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.