jimsgirl
YaBB Newbies

Boulevard S40  
 Rose &
Pearl

Campbell, California
Riding Question...
07/10/10 at 22:56:16

This has only come up once, but I thought I'd ask the experts what they do in this situation, please give me the proper etiquette?

When coming up to an intersection's red light - if there is already a motorcycle in the lane, do I pull up right next to them? OR a discreet half length stagger formation behind them? What do you all do in this situation? Usually the bike coming up behind me (waiting in the lane behind a car) passes me by and splits the lanes to get to the front, but in this situation, he was ahead of me, no other cars, and I came up behind him unsure of where I was supposed to be.

Had my first big hand wave today from a fellow rider traveling in the opposite direction- it made me feel like I was finally part of the club. NICE! I'm pretty darn happy about clocking 200 miles of new riding time, can't wait to clock in a lot more.  Grin

A strong man sails by ash breeze.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Riding Question...
Reply #1 - 07/10/10 at 23:27:45

As far as I know, there is no wrong, but I know I would pull alongside,.....if the rider was plenty far to one side. If not, I'd pull up behind.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/10/10 at 23:49:54

Unless you want to race, give a compliment, or ask a question Id stay behind and staggered. Its safer. Allows you space to manuever if a car came up behind too close. You (hopefully) would then be the other riders last chance warning to the car that its time to freaking stop.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 07/11/10 at 05:11:52

BurnPgh wrote on 07/10/10 at 23:49:54:
Unless you want to race, give a compliment, or ask a question Id stay behind and staggered. Its safer. Allows you space to manuever if a car came up behind too close. You (hopefully) would then be the other riders last chance warning to the car that its time to freaking stop.

+1 this is the way I do it too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #4 - 07/11/10 at 07:12:14

+1 to burnpgh's answer too.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/11/10 at 09:16:29

+1 on burnpgh. Unless you wanna communicate something special - stay behind.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 07/11/10 at 09:37:40

i usually stay behind someone i don't know, til a wicked looking dude on a roadking literally backed up, asked me if mine was a savage, to which he replied "i f&%$#@n love that bike!!" lol

plus u don't want to embarrass the sport bike guys with a tighter u turn  Grin

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #7 - 07/11/10 at 10:05:11

I might pull along side if i know the light has history of not detecting bikes, as so many around Pittsburgh do.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
ArGaT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/11/10 at 11:30:05

I like to pull up along side and chat but before doing so i check if the guy or gal is indicating if so then i pull up on the other side.  On occasion i have seen some numptys on the left hand side of the lane indicating right or vise versa in that case a stay well back as that rider is an accident waiting to happen.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #9 - 07/11/10 at 18:00:01

I would stay slightly behind staggered, unless they turn around and try to engage in converstaion, then I'd move up. I'm always friendly to other riders when they pull up next to me, but I've gotten the old "who the F#$k invited you?" glare a couple of times when I've done likewise. There's no pleasing everyone, so please yourself first.   Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/11/10 at 21:40:35

spacepirates wrote on 07/11/10 at 10:05:11:
I might pull along side if i know the light has history of not detecting bikes, as so many around Pittsburgh do.

As you're well aware, we just f'cking run those lights.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 07/12/10 at 05:18:13

Well, thinking 40 yrs ago, I thought I'd pull alongside, only because I have never seen such friendly MC riders (and a ton of them) since I moved here, and because I figure I hold a lot more than a candle to even the biggest baddest Harley or any other machine around. But after all the negatives,......maybe it'll happen one day....then I'll know what I'd do Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
wingsout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lockport NY
Reply #12 - 07/15/10 at 16:39:17

Pull up and say Hi; I did and he asked where I was headed; I told him and he said I know a short cut; follow me. Short trip out of traffic.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #13 - 07/15/10 at 21:24:21

jimsgirl wrote on 07/10/10 at 22:56:16:
... if there is already a motorcycle in the lane, do I pull up right next to them? OR a discreet half length stagger formation behind them? What do you all do in this situation?

Varies.  A lot depends on the "personal space" each holds.  Since I do not know how they accept lane sharing, I generally stagger behind.  I generally need the same vehicle space for either my motorcycle for my company van and do NOT share anyone.  But then, I have seen a rider coming behind, and have taken an edge of the lane to offer to share.  

Then again, if I am in a hurry I will be at the limit line, or past.  And when the light green goes on, everyone is behind.  Not many can match the Thumper across an intersection.

WWW   IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #14 - 07/15/10 at 21:59:35

If they are to the left I pull along side. But I also allow them to pull away first. We are a pretty friendly lot here in the North West.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 14:31:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Riding Question...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.