babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
USB Charger?
06/18/10 at 09:10:46

Just found this on Dennis Kirk's Ebay store.  Wondering about the wiring/electrics of it.  I'm electric illiterate.  I have heard you can't add much as far as accessories because most things drain us too much, but a simple USB charger doesn't seem like it would draw much.  I have a USB cell phone charger, which was what I was thinking about.

So you guys with the wiring expertise, what do you say?

This is cheap - started at $5.00, its says retail $160.99, and I searched other sites and they are all $150+.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220622786362&ss...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: USB Charger?
Reply #1 - 06/18/10 at 09:27:38

What is it supposed to do ?

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 06/18/10 at 10:01:34

Charge anything that you can charge with a USB port - iPod, cell phones, mp3 players, etc...  High tech junk....

* I will add that it is made for 2-Wheel-Tunes system, but USB port should be universal.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 06/18/10 at 10:18:29

If you have a plug on the bike to plug a battery charger in to, just plug into that,.....if it is a 12v USB charger. Just be sure to wire pos & neg correctly !
Otherwise come out of the headlite w/ a hot wire,.....hot only when the engine is running would be a good idea.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #4 - 06/18/10 at 10:30:37

USB has a power specification of +5V DC and no more than .5 Amps, so wiring it directly to +12V would be a bad idea.

A while ago I turned a bicycle's headlight generator into a USB charger. wasn't hard at all. Only took maybe $5 worth of parts from radio shack and an old USB extension cable.

With an existing DC power source (the dynamo was AC) all you'd need is a voltage regulator.

Seriously though, it'd be four wires and two extra parts (regulator and USB connector) plus some electrical tape. If I had any devices that regularly need charging via USB I'd fab one of these things up...

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 06/18/10 at 10:40:52

spacepirates wrote on 06/18/10 at 10:30:37:
USB has a power specification of +5V DC and no more than .5 Amps, so wiring it directly to +12V would be a bad idea.

A while ago I turned a bicycle's headlight generator into a USB charger. wasn't hard at all. Only took maybe $5 worth of parts from radio shack and an old USB extension cable.

With an existing DC power source (the dynamo was AC) all you'd need is a voltage regulator.

Seriously though, it'd be four wires and two extra parts (regulator and USB connector) plus some electrical tape. If I had any devices that regularly need charging via USB I'd fab one of these things up...

Again, I'm illiterate with AC/DC (except the band!)  This thing was made for a motorcycle stereo system.  I can't find any info on how to wire it in, or how they recommend it be set up for the actual stereo system.  So you are saying directly to the battery would not be good.  Headlight would be better.  But it shouldn't cause any issues with anything else working correctly drawing that little amps, right?  

And its not anything major to me, I just ran across it today and thought 'hmmmm'.  When I saw the retail price (which seems totally crazy!) I thought having a way to charge the cell phone would be nice.  But most likely, if I'm going to be gone long enough for it to die, I'll probably have a wall charger and electric available somewhere!  
BUT, alot of people like to ride with mp3 players and I don't know how long those last on batteries, so thought someone else might be interested too.

And spacepirates -- Your signature line is my all-time favorite.  I've tried to find that saying on a helmet sticker for a couple years now....  no success!  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/18/10 at 11:21:18

Since it's a charging system, made to be hooked up to a battery, I'd have to assume that it has a step down transformer built into it.

WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #7 - 06/18/10 at 11:24:27

babyhog wrote on 06/18/10 at 10:40:52:

Again, I'm illiterate with AC/DC (except the band!)  This thing was made for a motorcycle stereo system.  I can't find any info on how to wire it in, or how they recommend it be set up for the actual stereo system.  So you are saying directly to the battery would not be good.  Headlight would be better.  But it shouldn't cause any issues with anything else working correctly drawing that little amps, right?  

And its not anything major to me, I just ran across it today and thought 'hmmmm'.  When I saw the retail price (which seems totally crazy!) I thought having a way to charge the cell phone would be nice.  But most likely, if I'm going to be gone long enough for it to die, I'll probably have a wall charger and electric available somewhere!  
BUT, alot of people like to ride with mp3 players and I don't know how long those last on batteries, so thought someone else might be interested too.

And spacepirates -- Your signature line is my all-time favorite.  I've tried to find that saying on a helmet sticker for a couple years now....  no success!  

haha, yeah, I like my sig too. I guess it is why it's there!

So don't worry about AC and DC too much, if it runs off the battery, it is DC. Just know that AC and DC don't mix.

I don't have a detailed understanding of the electrics on our bikes (yet), but it shouldn't matter where you wire it in, as I'd imagine the voltage to be the same everywhere, but again, i'm not sure.

It looks like that thing has a voltage regulator tucked in it already, so you should be fine linking it in. I think the savage/s40 has an accessory plug on the right side of the seat, or that is what it looks like to me. That is where i'd look into plugging it in. from there, you find the positive wire and the negative, plug them into the right sockets and you're golden.

You've peaked my interest. I'm going to swing by radioshack on my way home from work and see what I can dig up... maybe in a week or so I'll be able to tell you a $5 answer to 2 Wheel Tune's $160 product...

--
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/18/10 at 11:27:16

simple, get a cigarette lighter USB adapter

WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #9 - 06/18/10 at 11:47:30

verslagen1 wrote on 06/18/10 at 11:27:16:
simple, get a cigarette lighter USB adapter

well that is no fun...

--
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 06/18/10 at 13:04:20

These bikes have a cigerette liter somewhere ?
I ain't found it yet.

In my post above, I should have mentioned that a 1 amp inline fuse should be added in the circuit.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #11 - 06/18/10 at 20:19:34

I would double check the voltage out on that USB plug before you plug it into and expensive piece of electronics. If it's not the proper 5 volts out you could fry some expensive electronics. Maybe plug it into someting cheap 1st.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Chief Gunner

0 - 60 "When I
darn Well Feel Like
It"

Chesapeake, VA
Reply #12 - 06/19/10 at 10:37:59

That unit is designed to be wired directly into 12volt system. It's has it's own voltage converter/rectifier built in.
Price is due to all being built into a pretty and small package. If you can get it for under 30 bucks you got yourself a good deal.
If not go VERS route and just wire in a cigarette lighter to a hot wire inside the head light and get the adapter from radio shack. Here's one for 10.99
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2963871

'87 Savage, Got more invested in beer and paint then I paid for the bike. Figure that surely makes it mine!
  IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/19/10 at 17:49:35

You can make one for VERY cheap. An add-on 12v power plug in (aka "cigarette lighter plug") and a USB adapter (Scosche-the car audio company, sells them for cheap pretty much anywhere). $100+ for something like that is just plain ridiculous. It can be pieced together for less than $10.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #14 - 06/19/10 at 18:13:46

babyhog wrote on 06/18/10 at 10:40:52:

How big of a sticker would you want? I have my own vinyl cutter and might just give it a run to cut a few of these if anyone is interested, wouldn't cost very much either.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 19:16:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › USB Charger?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.