Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Obama and Jimmy Carter
05/26/10 at 06:36:57

I'm starting to wonder if Obama is going to go down in history as another Jimmy Carter.  That means a good man, well meaning, smart, highly educated, but who just can't be a chief executive, run things, and get the job done.  Impotent presidencies.

Think of Carter - unquestionably a very good human being with a big heart.  Actually, I view Obama likewise.

Carter - Nuclear engineer, graduate of U.S. Naval Academy.  Engineering officer aboard nuclear submarines in the Navy.  Farmer.

Obama - Ivy League undergrad and lawyer, but who has never practiced law, nor run a business, never had to "make a payroll".

Neither of them came to office with any business experience whatsoever, and it's been shown in their records.  Carter had the first energy crises to face, so he wore his sweater, got on TV, and told us all to turn down the thermostat.

Obama has zero experience not only in business, but in international politics and international relations - the wars go on without any real direction from the guy who is the Commander in Chief.

Obama did get his health care change act (I refuse to refer to it as "reform").  But little else has happened that's positive.

Unfortunately, this is what we see when the voters just react without thinking.  But most voters nowadays aren't thinkers, except with their stomachs.

Carter's election was a reaction to Watergate, and Jerry Ford's pardoning of Nixon.  In comes the outsider to Washington politics who is going to revolutionize Washington.  Not.  Maybe the worst president of the 20th century.

Obama's election was a reaction to negative public opinion of GWB, the financial meltdown, the wars and the bailouts.  In comes another outsider who had only been a part of the Washington scene for 2 years.  He gets elected on "Change you can believe in".  So far, Not.

Aren't these two about the same?

What's your thought?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Obama and Jimmy Carter
Reply #1 - 05/26/10 at 06:48:44

On TV last night someone said Obama talks like John Wayne,And acts like Pee Wee Herman,I thought that was a good statement.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 05/26/10 at 06:49:21

I think Carter was well intentioned but lacked the skills to do the job.

Obama on the other hand, has totally different intentions.  He actually wants to circumvent the Constitution and then make it irrelavent; and then set up a completely different type of government which is not constrained by the Constitution at all; where he as president can do what ever the heck he wants because he knows better than we do what is good for us.
Oh and by the way, in the process suck out trillions of dollars from us to pay off those who are helping him do this thing ..........
THIS IS THE BIGGEST CON JOB IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD...CHICAGO MOB STYLE.  AND OBAMA IS JUST THE "FRONT MAN" !

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 05/26/10 at 08:31:31

Jerry, I do believe I agree!  Good intentions initially, just can't handle the job.

But let me ask a question, if I may?  Has this country ever been as left-right divided as it seems to be now?  I keep getting a feeling of a tug-o-war where the opposing teams keep backing closer to the ends of their rope instead of leveling the rope out and some holding on to the middle.  I'm not big into politics, but I am concerned about the future of this country!    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #4 - 05/26/10 at 08:50:33

Babyhog -

I don't know about historical division as you ask, but for sure we're divided now.

But I think it's for good reason:

1.  Those on the left are becoming more far left.  No doubt that Obama was one of the most liberal Senators when he was in the Senate.  Maybe only Boxer of California is more so.

2.  The right is frustrated with the debt, no apparent intentions on the part of the Dems to stop spending money, but just raise taxes and bash business, illegal immigration, and gov't intrusion into our lives in general, as evidenced by the health care change act.

The Dems of old are gone - JFK instituted the Investment Tax Credit.  Truman was a businessman before entering politics.  Even LBJ's wife and her family were business people.  Clinton moved a lot to the center during his time in office.  Since then the Dems have only run left wingers like Kerry and Obama.

Thomas Jefferson, the first Dem, is famous for many quotes.  I can't repeat them verbatim, but two of them are that democracy ceases when gov't takes from those willing to work to give to those not willing to work; and that the biggest enemy of the people is a large gov't.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 05/26/10 at 08:55:34

I think it depends on your perspective...
To me,.. it was more divided when GW was president, and honestly, the constitution was in more danger then...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #6 - 05/26/10 at 12:01:09

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 05/26/10 at 08:50:33:
Babyhog -

I don't know about historical division as you ask, but for sure we're divided now.

But I think it's for good reason:

1.  Those on the left are becoming more far left.  No doubt that Obama was one of the most liberal Senators when he was in the Senate.  Maybe only Boxer of California is more so.

2.  The right is frustrated with the debt, no apparent intentions on the part of the Dems to stop spending money, but just raise taxes and bash business, illegal immigration, and gov't intrusion into our lives in general, as evidenced by the health care change act.

The Dems of old are gone - JFK instituted the Investment Tax Credit.  Truman was a businessman before entering politics.  Even LBJ's wife and her family were business people.  Clinton moved a lot to the center during his time in office.  Since then the Dems have only run left wingers like Kerry and Obama.

Thomas Jefferson, the first Dem, is famous for many quotes.  I can't repeat them verbatim, but two of them are that democracy ceases when gov't takes from those willing to work to give to those not willing to work; and that the biggest enemy of the people is a large gov't.

A few months ago I managed to tally up the size of GWB government,
it totaled up to 17 million people on a government payroll,it hasn't changed it's still the same, that 17 million with great health care benifits,retirement pensions etc etc.
And I bet you will never see a senator lining up at a clinic for medcal help,or treatment.
BTW Jimmy Carter was the only president who could not be baught by big business. That is why he only lasted one term, One of the only honest presidents we ever had, I guess "We the people" never realized it. He was a very smart man,much like Bill Clinton an Oxford grad

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #7 - 05/26/10 at 12:48:08

Carter wasnt as ignorant about business as most people think. When the oil companies pulled their fake shortage and prices on everything started rising Carter froze prices and salaries. He stopped it before everything got out of control. Wouldnt it have been nice if he was in office a few years ago when the price of oil and managements salaries doubled. Carter had the guts to stop oil companies and big business dead in their tracks, no president since him has. I think he knew more about business than any president in my lifetime. He knew the oil companies and big business could and eventually would ruin this country.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 05/26/10 at 13:06:32

Carter was one of the smartest president,That why Iran wouldn't give up the hostages to him they wanted him out of there and it worked,As soon as he was out they gave up the hostages.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #9 - 05/26/10 at 14:05:31

LANCER wrote on 05/26/10 at 06:49:21:

Obama on the other hand, has totally different intentions.  He actually wants to circumvent the Constitution and then make it irrelavent; and then set up a completely different type of government which is not constrained by the Constitution at all; where he as president can do what ever the heck he wants because he knows better than we do what is good for us.

Oh and by the way, in the process suck out trillions of dollars from us to pay off those who are helping him do this thing ..........
THIS IS THE BIGGEST CON JOB IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD...CHICAGO MOB STYLE.  AND OBAMA IS JUST THE "FRONT MAN" !

Preach on, my brotha... This is EXACTLY how I feel as well!! (along with most people I know)

Jerry, in my opinion, I think you hit the nail on the head except for one thing... You believe in the health care fiasco, I do not. I see it as entitlements, plain and simple. More welfare that we can't afford. Hopefully it'll be found unconstitutional and thrown out, because that's exactly what it is.

Serowbot, no offense meant, but claiming the constitution was in more danger under W is possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. You're a funny guy... You gotta be joking, right??? This admin has done everything but rip it to shreds and burn it.

Mick, oh where do I start?
Where on earth do you get your numbers? The only jobs Barry has created are GOVERNMENT JOBS! The number of federal gov't jobs is expected to be 2.15 million this year (not including the post office, which is downsizing) -a gain of roughly 10% since Dec 2007, the biggest jump being since Barry took over. He has also promised a federal pay raise across the board of 1.4%. The average salary for a federal worker is $71k, 75% higher than the average private worker & nearly 20% of fed workers make over 6 figure incomes! Do some research man, I'm tired of typing... You can start here:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/workers-235701-federal-percent.html

By the way, the Rasmussen Report today shows Barry's approval rating as 23% strongly approve, 45% strongly disapprove. A total rating of 43% to 56%... His lowest ever!

I won't comment on Carter... All I can say is ONE AND DONE, like Barry come 2012

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #10 - 05/26/10 at 22:07:53

Jerry, capitalists generally have no interest in business ... their interest is in profit/theft . . .

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #11 - 05/27/10 at 05:47:20

Lifter, My Friend -

I believe you once described yourself as a "democratic solialist".  Is my memory correct?

If so, you either don't understand, or more probably, don't believe in the profit motive.

To say that all Capitalists (those who believe that the formation of a capital based economy is best) are all thieves is about as accurate as saying that all gov't employees are worthless, lazy scoffs.  Neither is true.

But this isn't the theme of what I asked in starting this thread.  My question was whether Carter and Obama will suffer the same fate from a historical viewpoint - smart, well educated men with good intentions, but who lacked the leadership skills needed in a chief executive.

Kinda odd that the Pres. is the chief executive of the Federal gov't., the same as is a chief executive officer (CEO) of a business, isn't it?

The same leadership skills are demanded of both jobs.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #12 - 05/27/10 at 08:16:23

earlytimz wrote on 05/26/10 at 14:05:31:
LANCER wrote on 05/26/10 at 06:49:21:

Preach on, my brotha... This is EXACTLY how I feel as well!! (along with most people I know)

Jerry, in my opinion, I think you hit the nail on the head except for one thing... You believe in the health care fiasco, I do not. I see it as entitlements, plain and simple. More welfare that we can't afford. Hopefully it'll be found unconstitutional and thrown out, because that's exactly what it is.

Serowbot, no offense meant, but claiming the constitution was in more danger under W is possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. You're a funny guy... You gotta be joking, right??? This admin has done everything but rip it to shreds and burn it.

Mick, oh where do I start?
Where on earth do you get your numbers? The only jobs Barry has created are GOVERNMENT JOBS! The number of federal gov't jobs is expected to be 2.15 million this year (not including the post office, which is downsizing) -a gain of roughly 10% since Dec 2007, the biggest jump being since Barry took over. He has also promised a federal pay raise across the board of 1.4%. The average salary for a federal worker is $71k, 75% higher than the average private worker & nearly 20% of fed workers make over 6 figure incomes! Do some research man, I'm tired of typing... You can start here:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/workers-235701-federal-percent.html

By the way, the Rasmussen Report today shows Barry's approval rating as 23% strongly approve, 45% strongly disapprove. A total rating of 43% to 56%... His lowest ever!

I won't comment on Carter... All I can say is ONE AND DONE, like Barry come 2012

I just googled "the size of government" these numbers are all accounted for, You just willy nilly said Oh don't count the post Office, well you cant just do that. That is what you call cheating, so Count the P/O and all the services Army Navy,air force,Marines, all the reserves.
now start counting local government ,and a sh1t load of people you never see or have heard of. I did not write down 17 million just for a
f*cking joke, it took at least an hour of my time to find all these people
lurking about working for uncle sam. I would have written down one million if it had been the case, but it wasn't.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 05/27/10 at 08:26:00

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 05/27/10 at 05:47:20:
Lifter, My Friend -

I believe you once described yourself as a "democratic solialist".  Is my memory correct?

If so, you either don't understand, or more probably, don't believe in the profit motive.

To say that all Capitalists (those who believe that the formation of a capital based economy is best) are all thieves is about as accurate as saying that all gov't employees are worthless, lazy scoffs.  Neither is true.

But this isn't the theme of what I asked in starting this thread.  My question was whether Carter and Obama will suffer the same fate from a historical viewpoint - smart, well educated men with good intentions, but who lacked the leadership skills needed in a chief executive.

Kinda odd that the Pres. is the chief executive of the Federal gov't., the same as is a chief executive officer (CEO) of a business, isn't it?

The same leadership skills are demanded of both jobs.

What CEOs in the USA have leadership skills

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #14 - 05/27/10 at 08:34:23

Well, Bill, let's see:

1.  Ford Motor Co.  Never took Fed money, weathered the storm, now profitable again.

2.  General Motors - Took Fed money under the old regime.  New CEO has turned it around, repaid Fed loans, making some fairly decent cars now, and now profitable.

3.  Boeing - Now leading the pack in large aircraft manufacturers world wide.  Leading exporter of U.S. manufactured goods, mainly responsible for keep our trade deficit from going completely nuts.

4.  Xerox, IBM, Dell, Apple, Yahoo, Gogle, Ebay, etc.  

5.  Citigroup - Repaid all Fed loans, and now profitable.  Same for Bank of America and about 2 dozen other major lenders.

I don't have the rest of the day to make the list go on.

You get the point.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 06:36:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › Obama and Jimmy Carter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!