Send Topic Print
Iridium (Read 204 times)
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Re: Iridium
Reply #15 - 05/22/10 at 20:29:40

If your engine doesn't require premium, you really don't gain any performance by using it. The higher octane fuel equates to the mixture having a higher resistance to ignition. It can handle the high compression and/ or advanced timing of performance engines without detonation...

Having said that, I have some friends who swear by 108 octane race fuel, running it in air cooled v-dubs, claiming they can tell a difference. I dunno, I'm guilty of using it from time to time in my dub too. ($7-$8/ gal) It sure smells good!! If nothing else, the premium gas usually has better additives in it which equals a cleaner engine.

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 05/22/10 at 22:30:33

Serowbot wrote on 05/22/10 at 13:12:02:
I saw on the History channel that Iridium comes from meteorites... It only forms in space...

Space metal!..
Ooooh!... I like the idea of that... Huh...
But I don't want it hidden away in my spark plug hole...  I want it mounted in my speedometer or something, where it shows... or maybe in the headlight?...
Grin Grin Grin...

I thought they mined it at Area 51???

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #17 - 05/23/10 at 07:45:32

Mick, I bought my Miata new in 1991 and have always loved it.  Even though it has plenty of zip I felt it was a bit underpowered for a real sports car.  When I looked into adding more power I read that a turbo or supercharged Miata would go through a stock clutch in about a week so I forgot about it for a while.  But when I had to replace the clutch at about 88k I used an ACT Stage I which would handle the extra power.  So I bought the Jackson Racing Supercharger kit and had my local garage install it.  It makes about 6 lbs of boost for a hp increase of about 40%.  So it went from 113hp to somewhere around 158hp.  Yeah, I thought it was worth it!  The stock 0-60 time is advertised as 9.3.  I timed it at 7.02 on my first try.
Of course anyone on here can tell you that once you start modding it's a slippery slope.  Soon I added the boost upgrade which gets you about 12lbs of boost.  Then a high flow exhaust. Then a header. Then I blew my rear end and got a limited slip out of a '95.  Added the bigger '95 brakes while I was at it.  And on and on.  0-60 now is about 6 seconds.
The supercharger is bypassed until you step on the gas so there's no difference in drivability, just a lot more power when you want it.
That said, after a few years it failed it's emissions test and no one could figure out why.  I was saved by Mass laws changing to exempt cars before a certain year.  Right now it runs very strong but doesn't idle well and again no one can figure out why.  There's a guy out in Marlboro who specializes in modified Miatas who could probably fix it but that's about an hour from here.  Right now it's still in winter storage while I get my bikes going then I've gotta figure out what to do with it.  Lots of info at http://www.miatamania.com/
But if you want to go REALLY fast I think turbo is the way to go, look here http://www.flyinmiata.com/
And lots of good info at http://miata.net/

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #18 - 05/23/10 at 09:27:45

>snip<

The unusually high abundance of iridium in the clay layer at the K–T geologic boundary gave rise to the Alvarez hypothesis, which suggests that the impact of a massive extraterrestrial object caused the extinction of dinosaurs and many other species 65 million years ago. Iridium is found in meteorites with an abundance much higher than its average abundance in the Earth's crust. It is thought that the amount of iridium in the planet Earth is much higher than that observed in crustal rocks, but because of the high density and tendency of iridium to bond with iron, most iridium descended below the crust and into the Earth's core when the planet was young and still molten.

Iridium is the second densest element (after osmium) and is the most corrosion-resistant metal, even at temperatures as high as 2000 °.
Iridium is used in high-end after-market sparkplugs as the center electrode, replacing more commonly-used metals. The claimed benefits are greater economy and improved acceleration.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #19 - 05/23/10 at 13:44:03

jef.savage wrote on 05/23/10 at 07:45:32:
Mick, I bought my Miata new in 1991 and have always loved it.  Even though it has plenty of zip I felt it was a bit underpowered for a real sports car.  When I looked into adding more power I read that a turbo or supercharged Miata would go through a stock clutch in about a week so I forgot about it for a while.  But when I had to replace the clutch at about 88k I used an ACT Stage I which would handle the extra power.  So I bought the Jackson Racing Supercharger kit and had my local garage install it.  It makes about 6 lbs of boost for a hp increase of about 40%.  So it went from 113hp to somewhere around 158hp.  Yeah, I thought it was worth it!  The stock 0-60 time is advertised as 9.3.  I timed it at 7.02 on my first try.
Of course anyone on here can tell you that once you start modding it's a slippery slope.  Soon I added the boost upgrade which gets you about 12lbs of boost.  Then a high flow exhaust. Then a header. Then I blew my rear end and got a limited slip out of a '95.  Added the bigger '95 brakes while I was at it.  And on and on.  0-60 now is about 6 seconds.
The supercharger is bypassed until you step on the gas so there's no difference in drivability, just a lot more power when you want it.
That said, after a few years it failed it's emissions test and no one could figure out why.  I was saved by Mass laws changing to exempt cars before a certain year.  Right now it runs very strong but doesn't idle well and again no one can figure out why.  There's a guy out in Marlboro who specializes in modified Miatas who could probably fix it but that's about an hour from here.  Right now it's still in winter storage while I get my bikes going then I've gotta figure out what to do with it.  Lots of info at http://www.miatamania.com/
But if you want to go REALLY fast I think turbo is the way to go, look here http://www.flyinmiata.com/
And lots of good info at http://miata.net/

thanks Jef ,really helpful Smiley

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:34:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › Iridium