Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electric Motorcycle Racing (Read 71 times)
trev0006

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Electric Motorcycle Racing
05/22/10 at 10:22:10

Video - Electric Motorcycle Racing

The era of electric motorcycle racing has arrived, with the 2009 Isle of Man TT playing host to the TTXGP.

The machines for the world’s first clean emission race took to the legendary Mountain circuit on Tuesday afternoon for the first practice session around the 37.73-mile course.

Despite the doubters, 10 of the 14 starters made it around the TT course, and the speeds impressed all spectators.

Speeds in excess of 100mph were recorded on the Sulby straight, and the fastest machine round – Team Agni’s Pro Class entry – lapped at an average speed of 84.81mph.

Motorcycle and cars video collection
  IP Logged
suzi-q

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Electric Motorcycle Racing
Reply #1 - 05/22/10 at 13:36:29

Shocked electic savage ? hmmmmm

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #2 - 05/22/10 at 13:56:21

trev0006 wrote on 05/22/10 at 10:22:10:

The era of electric motorcycle racing has arrived, with the 2009 Isle of Man TT playing host to the TTXGP.

The machines for the world’s first clean emission race took to the legendary Mountain circuit on Tuesday afternoon for the first practice session around the 37.73-mile course.

Despite the doubters, 10 of the 14 starters made it around the TT course, and the speeds impressed all spectators.

Speeds in excess of 100mph were recorded on the Sulby straight, and the fastest machine round – Team Agni’s Pro Class entry – lapped at an average speed of 84.81mph.

that is still 32 miles an hour slower than real bikes, plus the electric bikes are only good for one lap,37.73 miles. They will never replace the fabulous noise,and aromas of bike on full song,never.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #3 - 05/22/10 at 17:01:03

Unfortunately, you're prolly right Mick... The battery technology has a long way to come.
My next bike project is gonna be an EV of some sort. I've been studying up on it for over 2 years now. It helps that my boss is an electrical engineer, and happens to be one of the solar/ electric vehicle pioneers around this area.
Sometimes on slow days, we spend more time discussing solar and electric vehicles than we do working... Love it, good stuff!!

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #4 - 05/22/10 at 20:27:02

earlytimz wrote on 05/22/10 at 17:01:03:
Unfortunately, you're prolly right Mick... The battery technology has a long way to come.
My next bike project is gonna be an EV of some sort. I've been studying up on it for over 2 years now. It helps that my boss is an electrical engineer, and happens to be one of the solar/ electric vehicle pioneers around this area.
Sometimes on slow days, we spend more time discussing solar and electric vehicles than we do working... Love it, good stuff!!

back in the late 50s in London we had electric trolly busses, looked like a regular old double decker,the power came from two over head lines that two poles on top of the bus would hook on to,I'm sure you had them in this country maybe NY or Chicago,anyway, I remember those bloody busses could many gee's on you if they excelerated hard
My cousin Bill was driving his bus he saw me at the stop waiting for it to stop,he slowed down and went just a little bit by, I put my foot up to get on ,and that bugger took off I ran like crazy , I coudn't even get close,unlike the later deisels I could walk fast and catch one up.
the big problem with the trollys if they cornered a bit fast the bus would become unconected ,stop dead no reserve battery's, but it only took a couple of minutes to rehook. The good old days, well we thought so.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #5 - 05/22/10 at 20:40:27

Ha...
Funny how things come full circle, given enough time. The forgotten era of electric transportation musta been before our oil addiction put a strangle hold on us!

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #6 - 05/22/10 at 20:43:51

With a DC motor, you get ALL the torque as soon as it's energized. Where a dino fuel engine has to wind up to their maximum torque. That's why they are so quick...

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/22/10 at 22:35:49

Mick, ain't that on a par with the old BSA's and Nortons?
It sure sounds impressive to me!
JB

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/23/10 at 10:41:29

And the exhaust smells of ozone, so it helps replenish the upper atmospheric layer.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/23/10 at 11:11:10

We have those electric busses. Trolleybus. Quiet, quick enough, smokeless. Got rail tramways too! Those two are the fundament of public transport in my city. Europe loves that stuff.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #10 - 05/23/10 at 12:05:04

JohnBoy wrote on 05/22/10 at 22:35:49:

Mick, ain't that on a par with the old BSA's and Nortons?
It sure sounds impressive to me!
JB

I used to go to the Isle of man in the late 50s early 60s,Nortons were lapping at 98 MP ,on one lap Jeoff Duke lapped at 100,we all thought he broke the magic ton,but after rechecking the timers came up with 99.98,every one kicked up a big fuss, after a few more checks it stuck at just under the ton, Duke did win and he broke the speed record,
I think it was Bob Macintre who finally broke the ton the next year.
I didn't care then because Duke was my hero,I actually met him and got his autograph,I was thrilled to death.Below is a picture of Duke
standing up with his trusty Norton,just behind my Dad and Sid Franklin
with his AJS  7 R.    

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:50:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › Electric Motorcycle Racing