Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help making my new savage more comfortable! (Read 375 times)
eriver
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help making my new savage more comfortable!
05/21/10 at 10:04:27

Hey guys,

I just got a 2002 Savage about 3 weeks and gotta say, I love it so far. The main problem I found is, I can't really ride for long periods of time without my back screaming for some rest/stretching. I am 6'3" and after some research, I've found that forwarding controls may actually solve my problem. I can't seem to find them cheaper than $500 anywhere though, which seems a bit ridiculous considering that's about a 1/4 of the price I paid on the bike itself. I also considered the gel seat for the s40, but I don't know how much it would fix my problem. This is my first bike so I am not that skilled in intricate modding it yet. Any suggestions?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Help making my new savage more comfortable!
Reply #1 - 05/21/10 at 10:15:25

Contact ED L here on the list.  He makes and sells forward controls.

Look up forward controls on search or just manually go through TECH or MARKETPLACE until you find him.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/21/10 at 10:26:46

If you're not too heavy - loosen rear shocks a click or two. It might help.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 05/21/10 at 10:29:13

For 6'3", you may also want to consider Routy's set of 6" forward controls.  Ed L makes 4", Routy makes 6".  Sit on the bike, and move you feet out a few inches, and see which might work better for you.

Here are the threads from The Marketplace, but there are more threads all over the forum.

Ed L - 4"
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1202177312

Routy - 6"
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1274063295

As far as the seat, I'd say try the forward controls first, then worry about the seat after you see what difference it makes in how your behind meets the seat.  Saddleman makes a nice gel pad, fur covered, that you can put on top of the seat.  Also a raw gel insert you can put inside your seat.  I tried the raw gel inserted first, and it made a big difference.  But I didn't like the shape of my seat, nor the looks so I got a Mustang seat from a Sportster (which didn't fit the bike) but took the cover and guts from the Mustang seat and transferred it all to my stock seat pan.  Love it now.

There are alot of seat mods available here too.  Just use your Search.  (Be sure to change the drop-down menu on the "Post in the last..." because it defaults to "week").

Good luck!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 05/21/10 at 10:44:15

Difference rear shocks with longer shocks to me did more than the seat,I have a Suzuki gel seat I wouldn't recommend it if your over 5 ft 6. It pushes you forward about 3 inches,I'm 5 ft 6 and it justs works for me.Its 1 inch narrower than stock seat,But it does have more cushion which is good.The one advantage to being pushed forward it puts more weight on the front end which seemed to me to help a lot.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/21/10 at 11:34:37

Try a taller seat. The sportster mod is good. Similar to the extended pegs.

WWW   IP Logged
Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Reply #6 - 05/21/10 at 12:13:12

My ride improved with the front seat mount lift that can also be found in the tech. section. Easy to do, I used 1/2" PVC pipe couplings and longer bolts to raise the front of the seat about 1.25"

Bigzuk

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
omahasavage

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #7 - 05/21/10 at 12:39:16

I got an AirHawk for my seat, and it is amazing.  I can ride for hours.  I found it lots cheaper online somewhere, but here's the official webpage.

http://www.therohostore.com/Products/AIRHAWK-Seat-Cushion---Medium-Cruiser-Se...

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #8 - 05/21/10 at 12:58:23

There were two seat mod's I did:
1) raise the front of the seat. I used some rubber gaskets that were about 1/2" thick i found in the plumbing department and longer bolts

2) I cut out a 2"x2" square from the plastic underneath the seat where your tailbone would be

can't say it improved a bunch, but it did a little, and for a total cost of maybe $3

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
DirtySavage
YaBB Newbies

Wow, wow.. Pow, pow!

Reply #9 - 05/21/10 at 19:01:32

You could start by changing the seat and doing a seat mod.  I'm selling the seat I had made from the original seat pan.  Check it out: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1274493261
It was done for my wife, but then she decided she wanted it chopped and bobbed so I have this leather covered seat just chillin.

IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #10 - 05/21/10 at 19:50:39

I tried a Suzuki gel seat, and it was only slightly better than stock.  

Then I got a Corbin seat...

http://www.corbin.com/suzuki/ss40.shtml

...and all of the seat problems magically disappeared.  

Expensive, but worth every penny.

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #11 - 05/22/10 at 06:46:37

One of the first people who actually said they liked the Corbin. I changed my mine about buying one after so many members put theirs up for sale.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #12 - 05/22/10 at 07:00:18

Mr. Hyde wrote on 05/22/10 at 06:46:37:
One of the first people who actually said they liked the Corbin. I changed my mine about buying one after so many members put theirs up for sale.

I agree, there seem to be more who dislike the Corbin than those that like them on this board. It seems like the ones who like the Corbin are either of "larger" size or were willing to ride with it for a long enough period of time to properly break it in. Apparently the foam that is used in the Corbin is very dense and needs broke in before it is comfortable.  Huh

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #13 - 05/22/10 at 07:42:15

I got a sheepskin tput over the seat. It was realtively inexpensive ($50) and helped. Keeps the old butt warm when its cool out and cool when its warm, plus it provides extra padding.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #14 - 05/22/10 at 15:52:33

Hey this guy has a website with alot of cool little mods you can do to your savage.. one that may be of particular interest is one that raises the front of the seat by an inch or two to give you a better riding position and seat angle for better comfort.. check it out

http://www.jonline.org/savage/Tips___How-to_s/Tips___Tricks/tips___tricks.htm

I think his bike looks pretty good too..

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:18:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help making my new savage more comfortable!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.