Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Inspect front drive pulley! (Read 99 times)
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Inspect front drive pulley!
06/05/10 at 08:12:05

It is not called out in the Suzuki Owner's Manual Maintenance Chart, but the Clymer's Maintenance Schedule notes that every 4000 miles or 12 months "Inspect drive and driven pulleys for wear and mounting tightness".

It is not enough to remove the front pulley cover and verify that the tab on the spline-fitted lock washer is correctly bent against a flat of the engine drive pullley nut. Bend back the tab and use a torque wrench with a 32mm socket to verify 73-94 ft-lbs.

The engine drive pulley nut may come loose even with the lock washer apparently locked. So, I repeat, a visual inspection is not enough.

The failure mode on my Savage was to strip out the teeth on the drive pulley and to damage the splines on the transmission drive shaft. The drive shaft is hardened and the pulley is not, so my hope is to avoid a transmission rebuild by installing a new pulley and using Loctite 660 Liquid Metal Retaining Compound. Others here have reported the same issue and have used JB Weld successfully.

Symptoms leading to the failure were a slow wonka-wonka-wonka noise from the front pulley area when pushing the bike in neutral, engine off. I pulled the front pulley cover and everything looked OK. I wrongly thought this was just normal belt noise (my first belt-driven bike). It was not. If you have any unusual noise coming from the front pulley area, do a mechanical (not visual) check of your drive pulley nut/lock washer now. Or you'll be sorry ... :'(

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Inspect front drive pulley!
Reply #1 - 06/05/10 at 10:05:14

good advice buck, should be in the tech doc's   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Inspect front drive pulley!
Reply #2 - 06/05/10 at 10:20:46

Mine has loosened up twice,...  symptom was a valve ticking kinda noise...
I have a new noise now,... reminds me of a shift dog clacking, like downshifting into first a little early...
Hoping it's the pulley again...

Check it, check it check it... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 04:02:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Inspect front drive pulley!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.