babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
New puppy
05/20/10 at 10:26:08

Ok, so I just had to post a couple pictures of my new puppy.  He's a black Pug, about 7 months old.
Short story - I have a 10+ year old MinPin and a 3 yr old Pomapoo who totally aggravates the sh!t out of the MinPin.  I thought maybe a new pup might occupy the Pomapoo, and the two of them might leave the old dog alone.  

So heeeeeeeeere's Dudley:

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: New puppy
Reply #1 - 05/20/10 at 10:45:42

Grr! He's a killer!... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #2 - 05/20/10 at 12:56:34

I love the name, and he is as cute as a button.
congratulations piglet.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #3 - 05/20/10 at 13:26:15

I volunteer to be Dudley's GodMother.. I know he will be a little angel... heheheheh

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #4 - 05/20/10 at 14:11:56

awwwwww

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #5 - 05/20/10 at 15:34:45

Congratulations on the new addition to the family!  Smiley

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #6 - 05/20/10 at 21:14:28

Cute little guy, howerver I bet your theory on your older
guy not being aggravated any more is flawed. We have 6 small poochies aged 7 months to 13 yrs. Whenever we took in a new pup nothing worked out the way we thought it would.  It has been a fun experience. I wish your pack all the best. Smiley. Smiley

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #7 - 05/21/10 at 05:33:04

Skid Mark wrote on 05/20/10 at 21:14:28:
Cute little guy, howerver I bet your theory on your older
guy not being aggravated any more is flawed. We have 6 small poochies aged 7 months to 13 yrs. Whenever we took in a new pup nothing worked out the way we thought it would.  It has been a fun experience. I wish your pack all the best. Smiley. Smiley

Well, crap, I wish I had asked you first!  The theory sounded good though, right?  But my younger dog (Roscoe) is not getting along with the new pup.  Still growling at him.  Dudley tries, but Roscoe runs/growls/barks.  Old dog (Jake) is doing fine with the pup, but pup is aggravating him more because Roscoe won't play.  Now Jake is shying away from him a little more.  

Spoke to the prior owner yesterday about shot records, etc. and she missed this little guy so much, her husband agreed to get her another one.  I might just sell him back to her.  This is stress that I don't need.  I'm going to give it the weekend, and see if I can coax them together a little more.  I realize these things take time, but I have never seen Roscoe act this way around any other dog.... extended family has lots of dogs and Roscoe has been around all of them with no issues.

Maybe I should give the pup a bath?  Maybe Roscoe just doesn't like his smell?  Grasping here, so any insight would be appreciated.  I don't want to get too attached to the new one, and I don't want to alienate Roscoe.  I've been trying to split my attention and petting time.  Showing each that they are important.  Maybe its just two personalities that don't belong together.  Help?  Just wait it out and give them time? 

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #8 - 05/21/10 at 06:09:33

You could give it some time. Our Rott took some time getting used to our Daschound. We kept them seperated and finally started introducing them to each other. Now they walk and play together. Is so cute, lil dog, huge dog.

Some dogs are like people though, some like one another, some don't.

Myself I would give it some more time and not try and force them to except one another. Then again you know your kids better then I do and you have to decide what to do that works best for your family.

Beware of getting too attached if u do have to return it.

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #9 - 05/21/10 at 07:53:14

Nice looking pup! Hope things work out. Can I assume from the names the two that are fighting are both male? Dogs ARE pack animals and Roscoe could be trying to establish the pecking order and the pup doesn't get it yet! I had a heck of a time with my corgi and my daughter's pit. Her dog has been VERY well trained and my "wouldn't harm a fly" short stuff wouldn't let it alone! It took several months before they tolerated each other with mine usually instigating things!  Tongue

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 05/21/10 at 10:18:25

Yes, they are all 3 males, and Southpaw, I think you are exactly right.  Roscoe thinks his space is being invaded.  The pup is just "dum de dum dum... pway wiff me... "  But they will all learn.  Order will be established.  I sure hope it doesn't take months though.  

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #11 - 05/21/10 at 17:01:56

That's the right idea Babyhog. The dogs will sort out who's who in the pack. It does take a bit of time. The young one will soon learn where he fits in. You just have to be top dog and intervene where required. I find Its a lot of  fun is watching how they all interact.
One thing is for sure; no one will be in our houses without us knowing it!!!!

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #12 - 05/21/10 at 17:57:45

I know this probably won't help you out, but reminds me of the dogs we had.

We had a female Maltese since she was a puppy and when she was about 4 we got another dog. My wife was getting the Maltese (4#) groomed and they had a cute little puppy in there for sale. The puppy eyes it gave my wife were quite amazing I was told. After much discussion over a long weekend I agreed that we could get the 2nd dog. The time came to pickup the dog and we met the breeder with both the mother (106#) and father (160#) of the puppy. We came home that day with a male Blue Great Dane puppy!!!

After a short while the Maltese and the Dane did quite well together, but the Maltese definitely was the one in charge!!!  Grin

About a year later we found out that we were expecting twins to add to our other 3 kids so we decided that we didn't have the room or time to care for the dogs as they needed so we had to find them good homes. The Maltese was easy to find a good home where she would be a lap dog and loved tons. The Dane was a bit more difficult, since the size alone is quite intimidating. He was about 120# at this time and a loveable dog that if we had time/space I would love to have back more than the Maltese. Eventually we found him a new home, but regretfully we are no longer in contact with the owner and don't know how he is doing  Sad

Anyway, good luck with your puppy situation BH and let us know what you decide to do.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 05/24/10 at 05:18:49

EJID, I found this pup on Craigslist, posted by a friend of the girl that I got him from.  The friend, with whom I swapped the initial emails, breeds Great Danes.  Since her kennel web address was attached to the emails, I looked at it... I have never been a big fan of big BIG dogs.  I had a yellow lab, and a husky, etc, but nothing like a Great Dane.  Looking at the pics on her website, I think the Great Dane puppy is about as sweet looking as any puppy I have ever seen, so I understand your wife's reaction to its puppy eyes...  sweet story, thanks for sharing.  Maybe some day you will have another Maltese and Great Dane together.  Browse this.      http://www.renegadegreatdanes.webs.com/

Ok, so here is the latest.  Dudley has been doing fairly well.  Roscoe is becoming more accepting, but still growling a little.  They are playing a little, so I believe it will eventually work out.  BUT... Here's the next kicker.  My yard has an in-ground invisible fence.  So now I am into the step of teaching the pup the boundaries.  He got shocked yesterday, ran past the line, I called to him, and he came back, through the shocking again.  But he was ok after that.  Then last night, I took him out back, and he got shocked again... trying to get to my water fountain, which I had always stopped him from drinking from before.  I had never let him, so it wasn't like he was doing something that he had been allowed to do before.  
Also, he had been using a puppy-pad very well while I had been at work.  But yesterday while I was gone, he chewed the puppy pad to pieces!    So today, while I'm at work, he is crated (I had been been using a baby-gate to keep him in a hallway).  But while I was getting ready for work, the dogs are usually eating, going out to potty, playing, etc, but Dudley stayed in his bed.  (Oh I bought Roscoe and Dudley new beds.... guess which one chose which one to sleep in?  Dudley.)  I don't know if Dudley was just tired from an active day yesterday, or what, but I took him out twice this morning and he came straight back in.  

So the saga continues....  Sorry, didn't mean to write a book, but this will be good for me to look back at and laugh.... when/if it all works out....  

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #14 - 05/24/10 at 09:24:22

Good to hear things are working out!!!
Our latest pup is crated whenever we go out. If we didn't we would not have a house left. She's a chewer and nothing is safe. She goes into the crate without any fuss, and if she's upset over something or someone, its her refuge. We've kept her in it all day (she has a water bowl in it and is let outside before) with no issues. If you do the crate thing right from the start, the dog accepts it and actually seems to prefer being in the crate.

'09 C50SE, '09 C90
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:55:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › New puppy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.