Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rent a flywheel puller and a clutch center holder? (Read 138 times)
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Rent a flywheel puller and a clutch center holder?
05/17/10 at 13:42:08

Ok, I tried resurrecting an old thread, but it's probably better to start a new one and just be direct. Got to rebuild the transmission, at least. Would anyone rent me a flywheel puller and a clutch center holder tool? I would happily pay postage and compensate you for your time and trouble.

When we replaced the clutch a few weeks ago we did not use a clutch center holder when we retorqued the clutch nut. We just put the transmission into 2nd, blocked the rear wheel, applied the rear brake,  and torqued away (with a torque wrench). I'm wondering if doing it this way overstressed some part of the transmission.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Re: Rent a flywheel puller and a clutch center hol
Reply #1 - 05/17/10 at 19:17:44

I feel for ya. If I had the tools, I'd ship 'em to ya for nothing...

But to address your concern about the trans... I would have to say no, I doubt you overstressed anything by torquing the clutch that way.

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #2 - 05/18/10 at 00:24:37

hmmmm i did my clutch the way you described?

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #3 - 05/18/10 at 21:51:06

hmm, i certainly don't have the tools, but i know that places like auto zone or avance auto parts will kinda lend you many tools for free. you basically pay the cost of the tool to take it out for X many days, then bring it back and they give you the whole deposit back. this is not the same as buying a tool and returning it. i did this with stud extractors and rounded bolt removers. i couldn't find anything on the website, but it might be worth going to a store and asking.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 05/19/10 at 08:17:06

Buck, did you ever pull your clutch basket away from the spline that it is mounted on?

Did you turn that big nut loose and remove it?

If so, there is a mounting pin that could have gotten misplaced and a flange that could have been put back on backwards.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1246336685/0

If your pin is missing, then it got down your rabbit hole and into your gears ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #5 - 05/19/10 at 21:13:56

No, we didn't pull the clutch basket off the spline. Just slid the old clutch plates out of the basket and slid the new stack in.

Also, as soon as the clutch cover came off, we stuffed the two 'rabbit holes' with clean rags. So, Alice is not down there.

The replaced clutch worked great for ~400 miles (BTW the Barnett clutch is better than the OEM). The problem now is not the clutch. We pulled it -- it looks good.

What's happening now is that we can apparently shift to any gear with the clutch disengaged and the motor running, but as the clutch is just being engaged there is a nasty, loud, metallic grinding sound.

As soon as the bike was back in the garage (AAA wrecker) we removed the clutch cover, put a socket/breaker bar on the clutch nut and rotated it (ie. turned the transmission countershaft). The belt drive sprocket started to rotate and then slipped (ie. the transmission drive shaft did not turn a corresponding amount). Basically, no transmission gear is fully engaging.

I found a flywheel puller on Amazon.com. I suppose I don't really need a clutch center holder.

I also lined up a back-up mechanic. The kid and I are going to try to access the transmission on our own (by removing the engine, pulling the jug and splitting the crankcase). If we get to a roadblock, then we'll deliver the engine to the mechanic who said he could do the work for $300 labor.

Of course, at this point, I tempted to sell the bike to whomever would buy it (probably only a salvage yard) and start over again. There's a 2005 S40 on Craigslist nearby with 1000 miles for $2500. But that would be too easy, I suppose ....

« Last Edit: 05/19/10 at 22:29:09 by BuckRYCA »  

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:34:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rent a flywheel puller and a clutch center holder?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.