Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stock handlebar size and mini apes (Read 690 times)
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Re: Stock handlebar size and mini apes
Reply #15 - 08/01/11 at 09:10:35

Smokestack wrote on 06/24/11 at 10:54:08:
MrBrownTX wrote on 06/24/11 at 10:38:20:
Those Friscos are PERFECT, I'd love them in black!!!

They make 'em in chrome or black.  Same price, too!  They make a lot of sweet styles, man.  If I wasn't so in love with the Frisco's, I'd probably be running the Window Bars.  Check the link.

http://www.biltwellinc.com/bars.php  

Hey drums1, did you spin up those risers yourself?  VERY cool, I gotta say!

Smoke Stack how is the reach to those?  7" isn't too terribly tall are your arms still pointing down or more level?

I am thinking about going for these friscos but I have stock drag bars now so I have the tall risers (6"?).  I was thinking about just putting the friscos on those risers.  I don't expect it will be too tall, should be 13" or so of rise.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
jasonwm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pittsburgh, pa
Reply #16 - 08/01/11 at 12:42:45

so, did the older savages have 7/8 bars and the s40's have 1" bars?  My ignorance might have gotten one over on me.  I assumed ( i know i know) that my bars were 7/8 on my bike.  an 86.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 08/01/11 at 12:50:06

jasonwm wrote on 08/01/11 at 12:42:45:
so, did the older savages have 7/8 bars and the s40's have 1" bars?  My ignorance might have gotten one over on me.  I assumed ( i know i know) that my bars were 7/8 on my bike.  an 86.  

If you can't believe what is told you, go out and measure the dam things.

WWW   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #18 - 08/01/11 at 13:02:37

Mine is an '87.        1" bars.

No I didn't machine the risers, I bought some BMX bike footpegs, hacksawed and ground them to 3", with new, longer mount bolts.
With the 3" risers and the 6" rise on the buckhorns, makes about 9" total rise. Cables are all maxed out, but I didn't reroute them at all. If I did, 10" rise would not be a problem with all OE cables. If you want 13" rise, you might be replacing at least some of the cables +/or the brake line.

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #19 - 08/01/11 at 18:09:28

MrBrownTX wrote on 08/01/11 at 09:10:35:
Smoke Stack how is the reach to those?  7" isn't too terribly tall are your arms still pointing down or more level?

I am thinking about going for these friscos but I have stock drag bars now so I have the tall risers (6"?).  I was thinking about just putting the friscos on those risers.  I don't expect it will be too tall, should be 13" or so of rise.

I dropped my seat quite a bit when I put on the solo, so I don't know how they'd feel on a stocker....

As for the risers, I'd say that you'd definitely need to replace some cables.  Mine actually gave me a bit of play from the stock Buckhorns, but risers that big'll be a problem.

I'm about 5'11", maybe 175, and my arms sit maybe a tiny bit below shoulder height when I ride.

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #20 - 08/01/11 at 18:42:56

Yeah, definitely planning on replacing cables. Thanks!

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Dono
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 07/31/13 at 10:02:37

Smokestack, I'm really diggin' your setup!

I just purchased an s40 (2007) and am looking to set my handlebars similar to how you have yours configured. Frisco is the style, or the manufacturer? Also, the seat...what is the make and how did you mount?

General question: would anyone be so kind as to direct me to a good discussion on the site for replacing the brake line with a stainless line? I'm assuming it's going to be much more complicated than just taking it off and replacing with a new one. I've never had to deal with brakes and don't want to blindly start taking things apart and mess something up.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #22 - 07/31/13 at 10:33:56

Dono wrote on 07/31/13 at 10:02:37:
Smokestack, I'm really diggin' your setup!

I just purchased an s40 (2007) and am looking to set my handlebars similar to how you have yours configured. Frisco is the style, or the manufacturer? Also, the seat...what is the make and how did you mount?

General question: would anyone be so kind as to direct me to a good discussion on the site for replacing the brake line with a stainless line? I'm assuming it's going to be much more complicated than just taking it off and replacing with a new one. I've never had to deal with brakes and don't want to blindly start taking things apart and mess something up.

Dono...welcome  Smiley

Bringing an old dead post back to the forefront is always interesting.

The Frisco bars that Smokestack put on his bike were called Frisco, but manufactured by Biltwell. http://www.biltwellinc.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=44 They come in either black or chrome and dimpled or un-dimpled. Once you decide chrome/black, you will want to order the 1" bars that are un-dimpled. (dimpled bars will work, but might cause some headaches with the controls)

Here is the tech info on bleeding your brake line when you replace it. (From our handy TECH Section on this site Cool) http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1361025600/0#0

When I replaced mine, these are the notes that I had and one of the threads that I posted some information about my experience.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1365016335/4#4

EJID wrote on 04/03/13 at 14:59:21:
nateordie wrote on 04/03/13 at 14:42:21:
EJID,
what fittings did you use?

Here is the note from my original order...

"Hose 1 Fittings #1 & #4 (10mm Straight & 10mm 45 Degree) Length 42" (end to end including fittings) Angle: Type C (90 Degree)"

I used this cable to extend my brake line for putting on mini-apes (from a FXDWG) and if I did it again, I would add another 1" in length (almost too short). It's been a while now, and I'm not sure if the Angle Type C is the correct one to use, seems like I had a little trouble with the angle, but I would have to look it over again to decide. I was happy with my purchase though and would use them again if I need another line.  Smiley Good luck

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Dono
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 07/31/13 at 12:42:39

Thanks, EJID! I'm still familiarizing myself with the site. Next time I'll take a gander at the TECH section first. I gotta say, this site has been the best resource for ideas and solutions. In fact, stumbling across this site is what inspired me to purchase my S40.

Just out of curiosity, how long of a process was it for you to bleed the system and then add new components/fluid? Wondering if this should be a weekend or week-night job. Thanks again for your help.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #24 - 07/31/13 at 13:15:24

Replacing the bars with taller bars that require replacements of brake lines, throttle cables, or extending/re-routing wiring I would plan on a weekend project.

Just swapping the brake line and bleeding it was a week night process for me. If you still have stock pads on the front, swapping them at this time is ideal and others on this site say that the Kevlar pads are virtually squeak free. I replaced mine with basic EBC pads and haven't had an issue (knock on wood)  Tongue

I actually took 1 night to do the wiring, 1 night to do the brake line, and swapping the throttle cable was simple, but I had the tank off to work around things more easily.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/28/24 at 22:29:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock handlebar size and mini apes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.