Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Road Race / Cafe Savage? (Read 313 times)
Kurlon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Road Race / Cafe Savage?
04/16/10 at 10:00:27

Has anyone attempted to road race a Savage?

Yeah, random off the wall question, I know.  I'm a nutter with a predilection for doing things the wrong way, and after mentioning the idea as a joke, it started some gears turning and now I can't drop the concept.

Basic theory would be drop the front with shorter forks off a modernish 600, picking up a 17" wheel and modern caliper/rotor setup.  Jack the back end up with a 17" wheel and longer shocks, aiming for a 10 deg swingarm angle, and ideally something resembling 26 degrees of rake in the front.  Rig some rear sets, chop the frame off behind the shock mounts, and put a cafe/race tail on, clipons, etc.

My initial back of a napkin plan makes it look like the geometry could actually work.  Plus starting with a bike that only weighs 340lbs dry means it's going to be nice and light to finish.

Question now is weather or not the motor is up for the task.  30hp at the rear wheel just isn't going to get the job done in either modern (CCS ULSB) or vintage (USCRA F1 / F2) classes even at a technical track like Loudon.  For it's size that engine needs to be making 45hp minimum, I'd be happier with 55hp+.

I know the bike's are choked at both ends with a tiny carb and poor exhaust out of the crate, and see people have done mods to both, but I haven't seen much for numbers showing what people have gotten out of those changes?

The engines appear to be DR600 derived, is that true?  Anyone know what size valves they run?

IP Logged
Kurlon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Road Race / Cafe Savage?
Reply #1 - 04/16/10 at 10:00:57

Very VERY bad photochop I did up as part of the original conversation.  As bad a job as it is, the lines are 'right' for a proper cafe racer... Modern Norton Manx?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 04/16/10 at 10:07:55

Someone has a build going on now.   Should be multiple pages back.

He was using a different frame and fab'ing the engine mounts.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/16/10 at 10:50:05

IP Logged
Kurlon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/16/10 at 11:12:19

Hrmm... the swingarm angle looks really flat in that build, might be a stumbling block.

Otherwise that is one hell of a custom build! : )

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #5 - 04/16/10 at 11:14:34

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 04/16/10 at 10:07:55:
Someone has a build going on now.   Should be multiple pages back.

He was using a different frame and fab'ing the engine mounts.

I believe that would be me.   I moved my website and finally got all the pic links corrected so here is the history from this forum.  I need start documenting it on my website.  I am also due for an update.  I am starting to make progress towards running this summer!

here it is with the most current on the bottom.  If you like the first link then work your way back in time by going down through the links.  If anyone has questions best bet is to email me as my time on the forum is limited.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1257039622/0

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1237084786/7#7

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1196943498/0

WWW   IP Logged
Kurlon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/16/10 at 11:33:20

That is a gorgeous build!

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #7 - 04/16/10 at 11:42:38

It is slow but it is getting there.  It is really coming together and I have some great concepts that once created I think you will like it even more.

WWW   IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/16/10 at 13:27:11

Im building one with sportbike suspension but its a bobber.  My father and I are also building a cafe version, frame and all.

IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/16/10 at 13:31:40

dads

And I see someone has already linked my build.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/16/10 at 13:53:59

Put in a DR 650 engine.  It will start out wih as much HP as you can get from a modified Savage.  Then there is much hop up stuff available for the DR if you want more.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Kurlon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/16/10 at 15:30:17

Phelonius wrote on 04/16/10 at 13:53:59:
Put in a DR 650 engine.  It will start out wih as much HP as you can get from a modified Savage.  Then there is much hop up stuff available for the DR if you want more.

Phelonius

I was actually thinking a hybrid, Savage save for the head which would be culled from a DR650.  Looking at what they squeeze out of them I'm not impressed though, seems they don't like showing 40hp at the rear wheel either...

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #12 - 04/16/10 at 16:28:23

Kurlon wrote on 04/16/10 at 15:30:17:
Phelonius wrote on 04/16/10 at 13:53:59:

Phelonius

I was actually thinking a hybrid, Savage save for the head which would be culled from a DR650.  Looking at what they squeeze out of them I'm not impressed though, seems they don't like showing 40hp at the rear wheel either...

With this much displacement from a low reving single you are pretty much dealing with a torque monster instead of shear HP.  On the street I expect mine to be a couple of pounds one side or the other of 300 lbs which should still scoot pretty well.  

(if I want HP I just grab Bad Attitude   Cool  (check out my site if you want to see a 135 hp asphalt shreder  Wink  )

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 04/17/10 at 16:31:14

replace stock carb with dedicated performance unit
regrind cam for more character for the engine = attitude !
rebore cyl w/ silicone carbide treatment for cyl walls for less friction, heat and mre power/durability
97mm forged piston with 10.5: compression to pump it up to 694cc
build custon exhaust for max power
exhaust ports need attention to make it work
absolutely replace forks, shocks, brakes and wheels

If you get the engne work done and tune it well then you will
have 50+ hp, maybe even close to 60 h

need hvy duty clutch pk w/ springs to hold on to her

the process of redoing the bike will  get the wt down to less 300, I think mine is about 280-290 lb

mine was making 45 hp before this teardown and mod's so 55-60 hp is not unrealistic.

IP Logged
Kurlon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/17/10 at 19:38:44

LANCER wrote on 04/17/10 at 16:31:14:
the process of redoing the bike will  get the wt down to less 300, I think mine is about 280-290 lb

mine was making 45 hp before this teardown and mod's so 55-60 hp is not unrealistic.

Those numbers make this a viable project.

Do you know the valve diameters in the stock head?  Based on the pics it seems like the exhausts are awfully small for the displacement.

I also noticed the DR650 heads are already setup for dual spark, might not be a bad thing seeing as the bore is approaching 100mm.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 10:45:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Road Race / Cafe Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.