Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Cafe ala Carte UPDATE!!  Current status June 08 (Read 1173 times)
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Cafe ala Carte UPDATE!!  Current status June 08
12/06/07 at 04:18:18

I am happy to say project Cafe ala Carte has finally begun.  I thought some of you might be interested in seeing some of the work.

The goal of this bike is to build an ultra-clean and ultra-minimalistic 1960's style cafe bike using a Savage engine.  The engine is a 1997 with 2,000 miles on it.  The frame is from a 1968 Wards Riverside 260 Mojave (made by Benelli in Italy).  This was a frame that was a knock off of a Rickman racing frame and orginally made by Benelli to house a 650 twin.  It was a bike that never made it past prototype stage but they ended up using the frame for the Wards bikes.

My build will be in two phases.  The first that I am in now is what I am calling the Title Build.  To title the bike I need to take it in as a running functioning bike so this first build is a very rough fast build to get the title work going.  Once I have the title in hand I will tear it down to the ground and start over and do it right.

Here is a picture of the Mojave frame.

As of November I had gotten the engine in the frame.  I have modified a GS450 swing arm to fit it.  The GS450 is the correct length and much stronger and better looking than the stock unit.  The picture below shows the bike with a GT250 swing arm on it which I will use for this build since the GT rear wheel fits it with no mods.  Eventually it will have either the GT or the Savage rear hub laced up to a polished aluminum high shouldered rim from a 1975 XS650.

In the second build I plan to cut out the swing arm pivot plates and replace them moving the pivot (and engine) down about 1" to 1-1/2".  The rear shocks are currently stock Savage units, again for the title build only.  I would like to put a set of gassers on it for the final build.

I have updated the post further down.  Updating this one truncated it  Angry

« Last Edit: 04/16/10 at 11:09:27 by smokin_blue »  
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Cafe ala Carte begins!
Reply #1 - 12/06/07 at 04:43:58

I like it!  I like it alot!

IP Logged
grail21

www.knucklebust
erinc.com

Reply #2 - 12/06/07 at 05:18:55

Hell yeah!
I really like where this is going and I love that there are more folks doing full on custom rebuilds with the Savage.
Keep up the good work man.

----------------------------------------
www.knucklebusterinc.com
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #3 - 12/06/07 at 05:19:59

Wunderbar !!!

And, as many people suggest what they would like on their bike, may I suggest:
  • a front drum brake, with either twin leading shoes (as in Nortons/Triumphs) or triple leading shoe (expensive but sooo powerful - as in Laverdas and the 650 Benelli Tornado)
  • a twin final chain drive, as in the Benelli 750 SEI

Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #4 - 12/06/07 at 11:16:22

Now this beats the crap outta the pap they push on "American Chopper".  We want to see bikes being built, not Mikey and Pauly shooting clay pigeons or throwing paint balloons at each other.  Thanks for the pics, keep em coming!

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 12/06/07 at 12:48:06

GS500 ... did you say GS500 ... man now you're talking my language.
You dont want the heavier but much better katana 600 ??
OK fine for this things 200 lb weight and 25 hp, a bicycle fork is over built. But ... yes good choice, you're not doing exotic crap that does nothing on these low power, light, low tech, old skool stuff.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 12/06/07 at 13:45:56

8) Great stuff!! As a previous post said, "keep it comin'" ... fabulous work! Can't wait to see the finished product! 8)

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #7 - 12/06/07 at 14:23:47

That is a fine looking start on a cafe. looking forward to the final product. Grin

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #8 - 12/06/07 at 19:57:24

Thanks for the comments and support!

Mpescatori - - I hear you about the 4 shoe drums but at this point I can't bring my self to paying $300 plus for an old 4 shoe hub.  The racers are paying top dollar for them.  My plan is a bike that from 25 ft away looks like a 1960's gem but up close it is sprinkled with modern technology.  The front brake (I like 1 or 2 finger stoping power  Grin ) is going to be a 320mm Ducati rotor grabbed by a twin piston Tokico caliper off a 600 katana (same as on the SV650).

Rogue -  Personally I can't stand the Tuddly's.  The only credit I will give them is a little jealousy in that they have a great marketer, they are filthy rich, and they get to play in the shop while I toil for "the man".

srinath  yes the GS500 fork was chosen for a number of reasons.  First the GS500 weighs about the same as the savage.  I needed forks from a bike that had a fairly tall engine so they would be long enough.  I wanted as large as I could get but ones that could still be cleaned up to look like late '60's style,  They are 37mm (not too shabby) and they fit the old large GS triple clamps.  I have made several pairs of triple clamps on past projects but didn't really want to have to go there on this bike.  Lastly because many of them were raced in club racing you can get full valving and spring kits for them.  Now luck would make it that I snagged a set on ebay from a guy that was parting out his old race bike and just last year he had put new seals, Race Tech valves and springs in them!!  $105 to my door!  over $200 in valving and springs in them.  As far as the katana forks go they would force me into making triple clamps to have the old style look and also they are sprung way to stiff for a bike that is targeted to come in at about 300 lbs.  I really want to break sub 300 but we will see!  Add a fork brace and the old GS500 forks do pretty well.

Rock on guys!  I will post more pics as it progresses!

WWW   IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #9 - 01/12/08 at 12:30:33

Here is an update of my work to put a new front end on the Benelli frame.  I am using GS1100 triple clamps
because they look correct for the era and will fit the GS500E forks (37mm).  The issue is the stem is too
short for the Benelli frame and I want the Savage style stem and top nut. So I had to "stretch" the stem.  
Here is a photo tour of the work that took place in Dec and early Jan.

Here are the original parts.  GS1100 triple on the left and LS650 on the right.

The I pressed the stems out.  The LS came out nice the GS maxed out my 12 ton press.  Some heat on the
triple clamp took care of it and it went with a BANG!

Here are the stems side by side with the LS on top.  It takes a nut where as the GS's had a bolt.

Suzuki made one small change in the LS by having the press diameter 0.004" lager than the bearing dia.  
I turned it down on the lathe to match the GS design.

The to do the stretch I was going to cut the pieces and put in a spacer.

Then face off the ends so they are square.

Then bore the ID slightly to make sure it was true and concentric with the OD.

Here is the stem cut and ready for the spacer.

« Last Edit: 04/16/10 at 11:10:34 by smokin_blue »  
WWW   IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #10 - 01/12/08 at 12:31:33

CONTINUED...

Now to start on the spacer.  Select one fine piece of cold rolled steel.

I turned down the OD to match and then the ID to fit in with a slip fit.

Then cut if off and do the same to the other end.

Here is the new stem pieces

Here is the stem assembled.  It was then cross drilled and pinned. Once everything is final I will weld
it solid.

Next a little grease on it and into the press for assembly.  No heat needed on this one.  First the stem
then the bearing.

Now here is the GS1100 lower triple clamp with the newly stretched stem.

Now on to the uppers.  Here are the uppers side by side.  Note the small hole in the GS must be enlarged to
match the LS.

I set it up in the mill and indicated in the hole (centered it under the cutter) and hogged it with a 3/4"
cutter.  

Then I finished sizing it with a boring head.

« Last Edit: 04/16/10 at 11:11:49 by smokin_blue »  
WWW   IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #11 - 01/12/08 at 12:32:10

Here is the new triple clamp!

Then I pressed in the new cups and races into the frame.

Here is what it looks like now with the GS500E forks set in place.

Soooooo.....now it is time to put some braking on this beast.  I am going to use the hub that is on that rim
which is a GT250 hub (same as all the spoked GS's) and lace up a high shouldered aluminum rim when it is done.
But for brakes I will not be using the GT rotor but a larger 320mm Ducati 996 front rotor (thank you ebay! Brand new $50)

Here is a comparison of size with the stock LS650 wheel.

I will need to make a spacer to move the rotor outboard as the offset is less than I need but that will
allow me to set up two bolt patterns as there is a 2mm difference in bolt cirlce diameter between the Suzuki
hub and the Ducati rotor.  But more on that in the future!!!

Until then keep the rubber side down!!

« Last Edit: 04/16/10 at 11:13:01 by smokin_blue »  
WWW   IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Re: Cafe ala Carte UPDATE!!  Steering stem work
Reply #12 - 01/12/08 at 18:51:59

great work!!! that rotor is huge in comparison to the wheel, i like it.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #13 - 01/12/08 at 19:39:38

Yes I am anxious to see what kind of stopping power I will have.  I am trying to get the bike down to 300 lbs.  I am going with a 2 piston Tokico off of a Katana combined with that rotor and stainless brake line ought to about stand it on it's nose with 2 fingers on the lever.  Cool

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 01/12/08 at 21:54:43

Yep, beats the TV shows on bike building. Good going.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 21:24:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cafe ala Carte UPDATE!!  Current status June 08

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.