Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
they're not that much faster! (Read 819 times)
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Re: they're not that much faster!
Reply #15 - 04/15/10 at 15:28:31

My S50 is a LOT faster than any of the other bikes discussed here.  I'm pretty sure the 480 lb. is wet weight, not dry.

A few 1/4 mile times from Motorcycle Consumer News:

Savage  15.30
Vulcan 800  14.16
Shadow 750  15.03
883 Sporty  14.98
1200 Sporty 13.15

MCN hasn't tested an S50 but the reported time I read elsewhere for a stock S50 is 12.3!

That's faster than every stock Harley listed except the V-Rod.  And this all fits with my riding impression as well.  I rode four different Harleys at Laconia last year and was very surprised by their lack of oomph.  Except the Night Rod - I couldn't believe how fast that was.  I have also read that a set of pipes and jets (or EFI reprogram) makes a huge difference to a Harley so I wouldn't expect to beat even a slightly modified 1200 but I believe it would take a ton of work to get an 883 near as quick as me.

The S50 is also the closest of any of them to a Savage in size and so it's likely more agile than the other bikes discussed.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 04/15/10 at 15:44:03

I guy that worked with us years ago a had one of the first s50s it was very fast for the size motor.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 04/15/10 at 16:28:09

Magazines tend to give horsepower to weight ratios using dry weight. I think, since the motorcycle cannot run too well without a rider and fuel, the ratio should use wet (curb) weight plus a rider. I would suggest using 170 lbs for the (standard) rider, since that is the number the FAA uses to certify light airplanes. The mythical dry weight is said to omit fuel, engine oil, fork oil, brake fluid, battery acid, and anything else they could get off or out of the bike. It would not surprise me to learn dry weight also used deflated tires, and it wouldn't surprise me to find the battery was removed altogether. The currently advertised curb weight for the S40 agrees pretty well with the weight I measured for mine, using a non-certified bathroom scale.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #18 - 04/15/10 at 16:29:58

I only ever rode 1 of my bikes thru the 1/4 mile,....an almost new 1965 Norton Atlas (road model) 14.20 @ 90. Seemed perdy fast then,.....and now,.. just looking at those times. My S-40 feels just as fast, but I'm just a little older now,.....everything feels kinda fast  Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 04/15/10 at 16:47:17

One thing with bike magazine 1/4 miles....  
They tend to get their hotshot rider for the bikes with high expectations....  
The Savage didn't have a line of anxious volunteers to do the 1/4 mile test, and whoever drew the short straw, didn't put a lot of effort into shaving 10ths...

I bet the Savage would be pretty impressive in the 1/8 mile...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 04/15/10 at 16:56:24

Charon wrote on 04/15/10 at 16:28:09:
Magazines tend to give horsepower to weight ratios using dry weight. I think, since the motorcycle cannot run too well without a rider and fuel, the ratio should use wet (curb) weight plus a rider. I would suggest using 170 lbs for the (standard) rider, since that is the number the FAA uses to certify light airplanes. The mythical dry weight is said to omit fuel, engine oil, fork oil, brake fluid, battery acid, and anything else they could get off or out of the bike. It would not surprise me to learn dry weight also used deflated tires, and it wouldn't surprise me to find the battery was removed altogether. The currently advertised curb weight for the S40 agrees pretty well with the weight I measured for mine, using a non-certified bathroom scale.

Deflated tires would make it weight more.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #21 - 04/15/10 at 18:24:59

bill67 wrote on 04/15/10 at 16:56:24:
Charon wrote on 04/15/10 at 16:28:09:

Deflated tires would make it weight more.

you have helium in your tires?

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #22 - 04/15/10 at 18:59:15

jef.savage wrote on 04/15/10 at 15:28:31:
My S50 is a LOT faster than any of the other bikes discussed here.  I'm pretty sure the 480 lb. is wet weight, not dry.

A few 1/4 mile times from Motorcycle Consumer News:

Savage  15.30
Vulcan 800  14.16
Shadow 750  15.03
883 Sporty  14.98
1200 Sporty 13.15

MCN hasn't tested an S50 but the reported time I read elsewhere for a stock S50 is 12.3!

That's faster than every stock Harley listed except the V-Rod.  And this all fits with my riding impression as well.  I rode four different Harleys at Laconia last year and was very surprised by their lack of oomph.  Except the Night Rod - I couldn't believe how fast that was.  I have also read that a set of pipes and jets (or EFI reprogram) makes a huge difference to a Harley so I wouldn't expect to beat even a slightly modified 1200 but I believe it would take a ton of work to get an 883 near as quick as me.

The S50 is also the closest of any of them to a Savage in size and so it's likely more agile than the other bikes discussed.

Yeah, I've read a couple places that the S50 is kinda the "hot rod" of their cruiser lineup.  Wouldn't mind trying one out someday.

On the subject of Harley snobs... I don't see a ton of them around here, but they're definitely out there.  Took a ride this afternoon, up through Battleground, to Yacolt, and back, and met several bikes.  All but 2 waved, and both were Harley riders, all decked out in the "hey lookit me, I'm a tough guy! Cheesy" gear that most HD weekend warriors seem to sport... complete with non-DOT approved skid lid. Roll Eyes

On v-twins...  I've only ridden two.  My bro's Vulcan 900, and my C50.  Personally, I think the Savage has more "zip", due to the considerably lighter weight.  The extra "chunkage" does add stability on the highway though.  On a personal note, I've found you can't lean the C50 near as much through a corner... first time I've scraped a peg/board. Shocked  Never did that on that corner with the Savage! Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #23 - 04/15/10 at 19:24:46

I concur with John D. The s40 is zippier. The c50 is no slouch with get up and go. It will get to 60mph faster. Just cranked mine on the hiway ( almost broke in) and it got up there right quick. The s40 shines right at take off.
As for stability the c50 wins hands down. It's been pretty windy here and the bigger c50 is much better in the windy conditions.

I did my 1st floorboard scrape too! Definately can't lean into it like the s40.
The 2 bikes give 2 very different rides. Each ride is great and would love to have kept the s40 for tootin around the city.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #24 - 04/16/10 at 08:16:28

the s50 is the intruder right? they make a 1400 of that bad boy, and that just sounds like trouble lol!!

someone @ the job said "have fun on your scooter" as we all left(i park under the overhang so it's extra loud) he jumped as i pulled away

lets see a scooter do that! =]

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #25 - 04/16/10 at 08:27:51

Any fool can take off a muffler and make an otherwise decent motorcycle into an loud, obnoxious machine. The trick is to get decent performance with a socially acceptable (quiet) one. I feel quite confident that anyone who wanted could remove the muffler from a Burgman and make it just as loud as he wanted. The guys with loud mufflers are just making it difficult for all motorcyclists, because the general public hears the loud ones and complains about all motorcyclists.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 04/16/10 at 08:48:55

Charon wrote on 04/16/10 at 08:27:51:
Any fool can take off a muffler and make an otherwise decent motorcycle into an loud, obnoxious machine. The trick is to get decent performance with a socially acceptable (quiet) one. I feel quite confident that anyone who wanted could remove the muffler from a Burgman and make it just as loud as he wanted. The guys with loud mufflers are just making it difficult for all motorcyclists, because the general public hears the loud ones and complains about all motorcyclists.

How does that old saying go? "If it's too loud...you are too old"

If we're talking about power, why not a V-Max. They have been the bad boy of the street and drag strip for 20 years. 200hp for only 17,000.00 Smiley

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #27 - 04/16/10 at 09:11:47

They did make a 1400 Intruder/S83 through 2008.  In stock form the S50 is quicker than that too!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #28 - 04/16/10 at 09:16:43

JohnBoy wrote on 04/16/10 at 08:48:55:
If we're talking about power, why not a V-Max. They have been the bad boy of the street and drag strip for 20 years. 200hp for only 17,000.00 Smiley

Yeah,... I need to find a salvage V-Max motor, so I can pop it into my Geo Metro... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #29 - 04/16/10 at 09:23:51

well i did rejet and k&n when i took the muffler off lol still moronic?

the s50 is soundin better and better! it's pretty much the savage's older brother right? lol

and have u seen them put hayabusa engines in smartcars? they kill ferraris!! how upsetting would that be to the ferrari owner?

personally, i would rather have the monster miata, it's a miata with a 5.O mustang engine.....now that's power to weight ratio!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:34:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › they're not that much faster!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.