Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
exhaust wide open (Read 200 times)
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
exhaust wide open
04/17/10 at 17:10:35

ok first off it's an 07.  I bought it and it had a slash cut Jenkins exhaust.  The darn fool/stealership had the mixture screw 5 turns out!  Needless to say she ran rich and backfired like crazy.  I've been trying to dial in what is right for her (I couldn't get Lancers guide to work right).  So I'm sitting at 1.5 out and she runs pretty well, backfires a little on decel but not bad, and when I turn it off I just get a poof, usually.

Does 1.5 out seem too little?  For an open exhaust (which a Jenkins is?) that seems too little.  I had it at 2.5 out and it was too rich.  Black spark plug and rear brake lever.  

Perhaps the previous owner not only put a Jenkins on it but did something with the carb?  Is there a way to tell?  I'm hesitant to break into the carb as she is my only mode of transportation atm...

Could the backfires on decel be from the two stage exhaust and I need to put some muffle goo in there or maybe there is a leak at the header?  I've torked the header down (not too much) and the slip on muff is as tight as I can get it.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: exhaust wide open
Reply #1 - 04/17/10 at 17:15:58

Sound like its running normal to me,They do backfire a little a poof,on shut off.Mine does anyway.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/17/10 at 17:16:31

if you are getting a poof at shut off with an open exhaust, you are doing really well.
when is it back firing?
is it a back fire or grumble pop?
you tightened the header and muff, try the intake.

You might try the air cut off mod

WWW   IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #3 - 04/17/10 at 17:25:15

is the Jenkins an open exhaust?

I get mostly grumble pop on on decel but sometimes it will backfire at random times.  I don't really care really but the backfire on shutoff really embarrasses me when I know it shouldn't do that.

Air cut off mod?  Search doesn't find it.  I was actually just about to do Oldfellers air filter goodness.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/17/10 at 18:17:16

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 04/17/10 at 21:26:13

Quote:
I don't really care really but the backfire on shutoff really embarrasses me when I know it shouldn't do that.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
What do you mean, "they shouldn't do that "?
Every s-40 that I know of backfires on deceleraition, and poofs on shutdown. And Suzi says its normal, so I don't understand the part...."I know it shouldn't do that"

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #6 - 04/17/10 at 21:49:01

i'm pretty sure everyone one here has a backfire on decel and at LEAST a poof on shutoff. I know what you mean though when you pull up to a busy gas station and the overhead cover just amplifies the sound it is a little embarrassing but i have learned to deal with it. messing with the mix screw can cut it down quite a bit also it seemed that adjusting the idle speed hand screw to a firm high idle has helped out too. another trick i learned is to cut the bike off and coast into my parking spot. dont know why but this cut down the shut off pop. I pulled in to work the other day and parked in the motorcycle spot. there were a few other riders there and my bike popped pretty loud when i shut it down. one guy said "whoa, she's talking to you man!" and i said "yeh she always does, i think she likes me"  Grin

IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #7 - 04/18/10 at 11:54:10

Routy wrote on 04/17/10 at 21:26:13:
Quote:
I don't really care really but the backfire on shutoff really embarrasses me when I know it shouldn't do that.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
What do you mean, "they shouldn't do that "?
Every s-40 that I know of backfires on deceleraition, and poofs on shutdown. And Suzi says its normal, so I don't understand the part...."I know it shouldn't do that"

Many people on this very site say that they have 0 backfires.  That is what I meant.  I haven't seen where Suzi says it's normal but if that is the case they should smack their engineers.  HARD  Tongue  Engines, when properly tuned, shouldn't backfire.  IMHO.

IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #8 - 04/18/10 at 11:57:47

RTC wrote on 04/17/10 at 21:49:01:
i'm pretty sure everyone one here has a backfire on decel and at LEAST a poof on shutoff. I know what you mean though when you pull up to a busy gas station and the overhead cover just amplifies the sound it is a little embarrassing but i have learned to deal with it. messing with the mix screw can cut it down quite a bit also it seemed that adjusting the idle speed hand screw to a firm high idle has helped out too. another trick i learned is to cut the bike off and coast into my parking spot. dont know why but this cut down the shut off pop. I pulled in to work the other day and parked in the motorcycle spot. there were a few other riders there and my bike popped pretty loud when i shut it down. one guy said "whoa, she's talking to you man!" and i said "yeh she always does, i think she likes me"  Grin

HAHA! EXACTLY RTC on the gas station!  I didn't think of the high idle.  Mine's not set that high so I'll try that and see what I get!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/18/10 at 12:13:55

RTC wrote on 04/17/10 at 21:49:01:
i'm pretty sure everyone one here has a backfire on decel and at LEAST a poof on shutoff.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong.  On last years dragon run not one KABOOM was herd from a herd of savages.  And unless you're counting a grumble pop as backfire, I'll have to rename it to grumble poof.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #10 - 04/18/10 at 21:17:53

well unless we got our grumple poofs together and had them chat a while then i'm not sure we'll know if we're talking about the same thing Grin. but....all i'm sayin is that at ONE time or another we have had some sort of backfire and unless it is an alarming sound then one shouldn't be alarmed Smiley. but by all means try and fix it. that's the goal here right? to make our bikes run as smoothly as they can?

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 04/19/10 at 08:45:31

I've noticed that I can get rid of the backfire on shutdown by turning down the idle just before I shut down. Anyone know why that would work? Huh

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #12 - 04/19/10 at 08:53:05

i used to get a rifle shot on decel when i put the debaffled sporty muffler and k&n in before the rejet. she would pop pretty loud before any mods too, now she growls and poofs on shutdown ALTHOUGH when it's cold i get the bazooka on shutdown lol

when asked why mine makes so much noise my buddy goes "that's a 650 single slammin up and down in there! you know how much pressure that is?" LOL!!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #13 - 04/19/10 at 09:36:08

Rocco wrote on 04/19/10 at 08:53:05:
i used to get a rifle shot on decel when i put the debaffled sporty muffler and k&n in before the rejet. she would pop pretty loud before any mods too, now she growls and poofs on shutdown ALTHOUGH when it's cold i get the bazooka on shutdown lol

when asked why mine makes so much noise my buddy goes "that's a 650 single slammin up and down in there! you know how much pressure that is?" LOL!!!

I don't know if I would call in COLD in S. Florida at any given time!  Grin

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 04/19/10 at 09:38:36

Big singles tend to backfire..... Honda xl650's a quite famous for it too...
Blats and pops are okay... you just don't want the gunfire cracks...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:20:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › exhaust wide open

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.