Send Topic Print
What should I do? (Read 313 times)
96BigSingle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What should I do?
04/04/10 at 08:08:46

Alright... I have a 96' Savage. It has been neglected for the past year. This is due to a deployment to Afghanistan. So during that time it was NEVER started, and the only time it moved is when someone backed into it and knocked it over. My wife then moved it to a spot so it wouldn't get hit again.
I figured this would be a great time to mod and fix her up. The chrome is rusty and dull (I don't particularly like chrome). I'm 6'3" and feel like a fat guy on a little bike.
The things I know I'm going to do are:
Paint it from the faded cherry red (now pink) to flat black or Olive Drab
New front tire
New battery (mine is dead)
and new handle bars cause mine hit my knees
Oh yea... I'm cheap and will do most the work by myself.
Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: What should I do?
Reply #1 - 04/04/10 at 08:48:34

Id startwith an oil change & then dump the gas & put fresh in, if it wont run wurfahoot, then get that sorted out first.
Quickest return on investment for power mods are jetting the carb & freeing up the exhaust.
How many miles on it? If its time for a cam chain, it might just be time for a CAM...I got a Good Bump in performance with the stage 1 from Lancer, Stage 2,, ahhh, I wish I had gone that far,,
You sound like you kinda lean toward the Rat Bobber look?
If so, it seems like one of the easiest ways to go, you get a lighter bike & better performance. Youre a big dude, so, trimming pounds off the bike may not expose any real Monster Performer. Now a little skinny person could do a few mods, hack some weight off & see a Big Improvement.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 04/04/10 at 08:57:02

Most people don't do anymore than richer jets and maybe open the exhaust a little.The more you do to hop up and the motor want hold up,Its made for low rpm not high rpm.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 04/04/10 at 09:03:18

If I were as tall as you, I would probably ditch the Savage and go look for a bike built for taller people. Go try the fit on something like a Kawasaki Mean Streak. It is an unfortunate fact of life (others will disagree) that almost any modification you perform on a motorcycle reduces its resale value by the amount it will cost a purchaser to put it back into original shape.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 04/04/10 at 16:29:36

96BigSingle wrote on 04/04/10 at 08:08:46:
Alright... I have a 96' Savage. It has been neglected for the past year. This is due to a deployment to Afghanistan. So during that time it was NEVER started, and the only time it moved is when someone backed into it and knocked it over. My wife then moved it to a spot so it wouldn't get hit again.
I figured this would be a great time to mod and fix her up. The chrome is rusty and dull (I don't particularly like chrome). I'm 6'3" and feel like a fat guy on a little bike.
The things I know I'm going to do are:
Paint it from the faded cherry red (now pink) to flat black or Olive Drab
New front tire
New battery (mine is dead)
and new handle bars cause mine hit my knees
Oh yea... I'm cheap and will do most the work by myself.
Thanks in advance.

What you can also do is get a set of forward controls. Contact Ed L., he's a member of this forum. He makes a fine set of aluminum forward controls. Or you can attempt to make some yourself as Routy and I have done. It will increase your comfort level by a considerable margin.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #5 - 04/04/10 at 20:32:52

What can I say? I'm 6' tall, weigh 180 pounds; and when I do long trips I carry around a hundred pounds of cr___ uh, stuff on the bike with me. I've run several 600 mile days at 65-75 mph and never had a problem other than a loose battery cable. Unless you want to impress folks you've already got a bike that just about does it all. Well, except for real comfort that is. Vibrations are the problem there.

If you want more leg room here's one suggestion. Get rid of the back seat (if she's not going to ride back there) and get a different front seat. Mine's a saddle from a V-Star. With the back seat gone you can install a more comfortable seat further back on the frame and give yourself some stretch room. Then get yourself some floorboards with thick rubber pads and you'll be going down the road for hours in comfort and style. The only thing you'll be missing is the big screen TV.

And then you can always do what Oldfeller and a few of us others have done and put a big ol' darkside tire on the back. I like having my back brakes do something now with all that extra rubber on the road.

Jack

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 04/04/10 at 20:44:51

Moving the controls forward really does make a difference in comfort for us tall guys.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #7 - 04/04/10 at 21:14:13

Jack...can you show us what that v-star seat looks like and tell us how you made the mod?

(sorry i don't know how to make your post appear in the blued out rectangle thingy)

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 04/05/10 at 06:48:14

RTC wrote on 04/04/10 at 21:14:13:
Jack...can you show us what that v-star seat looks like and tell us how you made the mod?

(sorry i don't know how to make your post appear in the blued out rectangle thingy)

RTC, see that little button on the right top corner of your post that says quote? When you want to put some one's post in "the blued out rectangle thingy" that's how you do it. You just click that and the reply window will show up with the poster you want to quote already in brackets like these [ quote ] [ / quote ] with out the spaces of course.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 04/05/10 at 09:08:51

I've done so many changes to my bike that just doing the seat was a long time ago. It was my first major mod. The getting rid of the back seat is my plan for this spring. I have done the new placement sitting on the bike and it feels great. I just need to finally do away with the rear seat for real.

Somewhere on this site there are details of all my changes over the last couple of years. I suppose the tricky part is finding the threads. Much of the basics was actually gleaned from this site and then adapted to what I was trying to accomplish. The tank change, speedo on the bars, floor boards . . . . . All ideas picked up on here. And then once I got into things it was adjust, adapt and advance. I'm always trying to get by on the cheap, I'm a musician after all.

http://bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

Jack

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #10 - 04/05/10 at 10:27:52

Jack650, that looks like a real comfortable saddle.  Do you at least remember if you had to take away stuff and/or add stuff to make it fit the Savage?

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
96BigSingle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/05/10 at 15:32:29

Thanks folks... I'm sure with everyone's comments I'll come up with something. I really don't want to get rid of it because of my size.
Keep the comments coming. I'll try to post what I've done. Most work will be done on Sundays cause I can't hunt that day. Thanks!

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #12 - 04/06/10 at 08:28:05

By the time this seat went on I had already changed the tank, which altered the tank-back/seat-front bolt situation a bit. If memory serves me I had to change or add the front-of-seat flange. The original is notched if I remember correctly. The new seat attaches basically the same in the front, just modified to the higher tank rear and its longer bolt.

The back of the seat (as it sits in the pix) is mounted the same way as the stock seat. E X C E P T  that the V-Star seat doesn't have the back flanges to bolt to the tabs on the 650 frame. So what you have to do is make a wide, shallow, square cornered "U" shaped bracket to attach to the bottom of the seat pan. Trial and error on the size and depth of your new bracket.

Once you get the shape, size and location for the the bracket figured out you attach the bracket to the bottom of the seat (I used a construction adhesive and pop rivets) with the arms of "U" pointed down and over lapping the frame bolt down tabs. I had to bend the frame tabs out a bit to get things to line up. Drill holes in the bracket ends to match the tabs and bolt/ or tap-and-screw the bracket in place. Do it right and you can just about lift the bike by the seat. You will end up sitting higher than the stock seat by the way.

My next step, when I decide to either shorten the front of or get rid of the back seat, is to move the saddle back a bit, lower it back closer to stock height and, I hope, add some springs

I've also been looking at, of all things, bicycle saddle seats with springs. With the "widening of Americans" these seats are getting bigger, stronger and a lot more comfortable. I'm giving some thought to getting one and trying it out on the Sav. Shouldn't be too hard to fabricate a mounting system. My one complaint with the V-Star saddle is that it's just a tich wide and can be a bit chafey (is that even a word?) on those consecutive 500+ mile days. Of course that problem could be solved by lowering the saddle. I've never been too worried about what people think of the bike's looks, so if it's comfy it's a keeper.

Jack

IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #13 - 04/06/10 at 17:11:20

tell us more Jack, tell us more!  Great looking bike.  Did you just extend the wiring for the speedo?  How is it mounted?  

Is that extra gas on the back?  Is it connected to the tank or fed when needed?

What do you tow with that baby??  I see the mounting in front and I think some support for the back under the blinker?  Is that what keeps the rear of the support up?

Again awesome bike.  It does what you need it to when needed.  My kind of vehicle!   Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:22:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What should I do?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.