Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Started her up for the season, few ?s (Read 172 times)
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Started her up for the season, few ?s
04/05/10 at 17:05:52

I finally managed to get thumper back up and running after being in storage all winter and then maintenance delays. I did a valve adjustment, oil change, adjusted the decompression solenoid, and installed a verslavy. I took her out for a ride and it was wonderful. This was my first valve adjustment so I am kinda curious how I know if I did it right.

1. I set the valves to between 0.004 and 0.005". Really I set it to 0.004 but 0.005 was still manageable to get it in the space. Those feelers are so paper thin. I guess I'm just worried I got it too loose or too tight.

2. I adjusted the decompression solenoid and now the bike starts much easier. Before it would take a 2 or 3 seconds of holding the starter to fire up. Now it's almost instantaneous when I push the starter. I love a quick starting bike, but I just want someone to tell me that's how it should start. I guess the 2-3 sec start time could be an indicator of a needed adjustment, I just got used to it.

3. Has anyone else had issues with their license plate cracking? I snapped 1 license plate due to cracks forming at both ends and moving across due to vibration. I got a new one and after 1/2 a riding season this one is already showing signs of stress. I went to Home Depot and bought 4 rubber grommets, stacked 2 on each bolt and it sounds better. It was making a bit of a racket before. Just curious if it's a common issue.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Re: Started her up for the season, few ?s
Reply #1 - 04/05/10 at 17:19:26

how did you adjust the decompression solenoid? what is a decompression solenoid?  Sad  

IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #2 - 04/05/10 at 17:21:14

LostArtist wrote on 04/05/10 at 17:19:26:
how did you adjust the decompression solenoid? what is a decompression solenoid?  Sad  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1169356966

It's a device that opens one of the exhaust valves when you hit the starter to make it easier to get the engine turning so it can start.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 04/05/10 at 17:29:04

sounds like you adjusted them just about perfect... Wink...

License plate cracking?.... Oh yeah!....  find a frame or backing plate...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #4 - 04/05/10 at 18:29:17

I took a piece of Bituthane and stuck it to the back of my licence plate. Seems to be holding up well. Cracks aren't getting any bigger.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #5 - 04/06/10 at 05:14:22

Rode to work this morning, went great. Only issue I need to address now is I seem to have some oozing of oil that accumulates on the bottom of the engine. I had the same problem last year and found after a few riding cycles that 1 or 2 of the clutch cover bolts needed a bit more tightening. Hopefully it's the same situation this year.

The quick starts are going to take some time to get used to.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 04/06/10 at 05:43:14

For oil seepage, you mite check the 2 long engine bolts that hold the kickstand mount, and the brake pedal/foot peg assy to the frame. If these 2 bolts are not tight, it will seep oil.
cowspotter wrote on 04/06/10 at 05:14:22:
Rode to work this morning, went great. Only issue I need to address now is I seem to have some oozing of oil that accumulates on the bottom of the engine. I had the same problem last year and found after a few riding cycles that 1 or 2 of the clutch cover bolts needed a bit more tightening. Hopefully it's the same situation this year.

The quick starts are going to take some time to get used to.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #7 - 04/06/10 at 11:26:42

i had a lady bump me @ a light and crack my plate in half, but it held for a while...til as luck would have it i was about an hour and a half from home....plateless lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #8 - 04/06/10 at 11:27:55

Do you guys have plastic license plates??  Mine is metal.  And I don't think I've ever read anyone talk about their plate cracking before now.....

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #9 - 04/06/10 at 11:29:13

babyhog wrote on 04/06/10 at 11:27:55:
Do you guys have plastic license plates??  Mine is metal.  And I don't think I've ever read anyone talk about their plate cracking before now.....

Same here. Now my plate is a bit worn down because the holder got bent forward and was rubbing my rear tire, but I have since taken care of that. But no cracking or breaking in half.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 04/06/10 at 11:45:56

My bike came with a cracked plate and it's common.
I guess being a big single the power pulses cause a vibration in the plate.  I added a backing plate to both bikes.

Quick start vs slow cause of decomp adjustment, a quick start is on the verge of stalling the starter.  If the adjustment gets looser, could cause the starter to stall on the compression stroke.  Not a major concern, just be aware.

WWW   IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 04/06/10 at 14:38:58

-- cracked license plate --

Mine is cracked from the mounting nuts to the outside edges of the plate. Just not in the middle. I noticed it had started already by itself, but as I use a Dowco cover on the bike all the time, the plate takes a lot of wear and tear (flexing) from catching on the back section of the cover when I take the cover off.  Sad

-Pabst

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
SmilinLDR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakewood, CO
Reply #12 - 04/06/10 at 19:43:24

Mine cracked too. Licence plate frame stopped it from continueing to spread.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 04/06/10 at 20:35:49

My plate cracked. I was following the girl one day & saw the whole rear fender shake like it was made of jello as she pulled away from a stop, somewhere toward the top of first or bottom of second. I was amazed nat the amount of shaking it was doing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:17:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Started her up for the season, few ?s

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.