Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Backfires & Afterfire reduced somewhat (Read 3748 times)
kickstartmyheart
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Re: Backfires & Afterfire gone completely!!!
Reply #15 - 03/22/10 at 12:40:34

this is awesome... i am running a very short straight pipe and i found that i was able to get ride of the backfires by changing my main jet to 160 andmy idle to 57.5 and turning out my air mixture screw 2.5 turns ... i am also using a k&n airfilter... so far i have no power loss good acceleration and people can hear me coming my bf can hear when i am speeding on the freeway..lol we live 8 blocks from the interstate but i am glad i was able to solve this problem... hopefully this might help for anyone else with a short pipe and backfiring issues

05 Savage 14,000k Straight pipe, re-jetted, K&N filter, shorty risers, home depot tail light, homemade license bracket, no turn indicators, had a mirror once but it rattled off.
funridetohell gasmaskfuturexx   IP Logged
fire8310
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carroll, Georgia
Reply #16 - 06/10/11 at 17:14:51

kind of bringing this back from the dead...but this works like a charm. just did it today, and whalahh, no more back/after fire.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #17 - 06/17/11 at 07:05:49

qp wrote on 03/17/10 at 09:14:42:
Is there a gasket or gasket compound under the cover for spring 35?

No. The lip of the diaphragm acts like a seal.

Mine looked like this when I opened it up:

The crystalized fuel or whatever it is, plus the corroded part, aren't good. Probably a lot of sticking going on. But this carb started out like this, so I wasn't surprised:

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
fire8310
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carroll, Georgia
Reply #18 - 06/17/11 at 07:31:08

ouch... that looks nasty..^^^
Webhead:  I have the spring mod along with about half the spacer ground down. and it seems to work pretty good. definitely check for exhaust leaks. I have one with my recently installed dyna pipe because of the clamp im using. I have another clamp on the way along with some high temp gasket maker to fix that problem. Before i did the pipe swap this mod did away with my backfires though. now I have a little pop from what im assuming is the exhaust leak. or i hope so anyways.

IP Logged
TheSnakeLady

Thumpers Rule!!!

Central New York
Reply #19 - 06/19/11 at 12:44:01

I will be trying this mod as soon as I can get the screws out, gosh darn things are seized up (piece of crap carb screws)!  So if anyone knows any tricks to un-seize screws please respond to this thread or pm me.  I have an easy out kit but I'm trying to save the screws.

Also I just want to get this straight, you take approx 10mm off the lengh of the spring wire, not 10mm off entire spring (I can't seem to find a good way to explain this).  I was also just wondering if any of the senior members had tried this yet? Smiley

My ride is a 2005 LS650, customized with ISO grips, cone air filter, stage 1 jets, Jardine exhaust, solo seat, AM turn sigs, and a catseye tail light. Next year, custom paint job (hopefully)!
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #20 - 06/19/11 at 13:21:58

TheSnakeLady wrote on 06/19/11 at 12:44:01:
I will be trying this mod as soon as I can get the screws out, gosh darn things are seized up (piece of crap carb screws)!  So if anyone knows any tricks to un-seize screws please respond to this thread or pm me.  I have an easy out kit but I'm trying to save the screws.

Try grabbing the heads from the side with pliers.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
TheSnakeLady

Thumpers Rule!!!

Central New York
Reply #21 - 06/19/11 at 16:52:09

MotoBuddha wrote on 06/19/11 at 13:21:58:

Try grabbing the heads from the side with pliers.

I'll give that a try when I have some more time, the weather is supposed to be pretty nice for the next couple days sooo... this isn't something I'm gonna do till the weather turns crappy again.  If all else fails I'll try vice grips. Wink  Thanks for the advice man!

My ride is a 2005 LS650, customized with ISO grips, cone air filter, stage 1 jets, Jardine exhaust, solo seat, AM turn sigs, and a catseye tail light. Next year, custom paint job (hopefully)!
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #22 - 06/20/11 at 06:23:17

I tried this mod but it didn't work for me. I think I got the spring from Johnboy way back when. For me (living at a mile high) it made my bike run like a diesel. I must say the afterfire and pop went away but the resulting mixture gave me gobs of black smoke pouring out of my pipe and it felt as if there was less power.
These bikes are tuned almost right in stock form for altitude. As far as my mods in my signature line they worked better for me but I could be the exception here.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
fire8310
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carroll, Georgia
Reply #23 - 06/20/11 at 19:09:15

Also I just want to get this straight, you take approx 10mm off the lengh of the spring wire, not 10mm off entire spring (I can't seem to find a good way to explain this).  I was also just wondering if any of the senior members had tried this yet? Smiley

I took 10mm off of the entire thing. stood it up, used a fine measuring tool. and took off 10mm. Maybe I did it wrong. dunno.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #24 - 06/21/11 at 09:08:04

Have a look at Gyrobob's double Ryca build thread, he has a method of unsticking carb screws with gentle use of a center punch and hammer.  

I would have tried the spring shortening by now if I still had a BS40 carb.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #25 - 06/21/11 at 09:31:28

Honestly, mine were stuck and I just used a pair of channel locks, then took them to the hardware store and replaced with some good steel screws.  The ones I got were a smidge long, so I got some lock washers as well.  I believe they were M4's, there's a post somewhere that gives the correct screw types.

delucaja   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #26 - 06/27/11 at 03:58:27

Boule’tard wrote on 06/21/11 at 09:08:04:
Have a look at Gyrobob's double Ryca build thread, he has a method of unsticking carb screws with gentle use of a center punch and hammer.  

I would have tried the spring shortening by now if I still had a BS40 carb.

Thanks for the reference.  Technically, though, I used a punch that was flat on the end, not a "center punch" that you'd use for punching a depression to start drilling a hole.  The flat-ended punch works better because the only damage it does to the screw-head is to put a tiny little flat spot on it.  

That said, just about anything you have around that'll serve the purpose will do.  I've used a large nail with the pointy end ground flat.  It has lots of advantages: real cheap, easy to make, soft material (less damage to parts of concern),.... and it makes a lovely Christmas gift.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Markusublime
YaBB Newbies

Thumpin through the
great white north.

Ontario,Canada
Reply #27 - 07/06/11 at 22:52:26

I've tried this mod on my bike and had no luck.I cut 10mm off the length of the factory spring,my backfires and "poof" are still there.I set up the mixture screw using the 5 gas analyzer at the shop I work at,but still to no avail.I have yet to try the spacer mod so I'm hoping that and some aftermarket parts and more tuning may help.I must admit though,like one of the other folks mentioned,I've grown fond of my "poof" also  Cool

Loud pipes save lives
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #28 - 09/24/11 at 13:18:22

I thought I would rejuvenate this thread: How many have tried it?
Did it work?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
TheSnakeLady

Thumpers Rule!!!

Central New York
Reply #29 - 09/24/11 at 14:14:18

I trimmed 10mm of the length of the spring (about half a spiral), it neither cut down on afterfires or backfires.  Next step will be to cut 10mm off entire length but I'm hesitant... Riding season is almost over here in Central New York so I suppose now is the time, if it makes anything worse I can simply pack up the bike for the winter and order a new spring.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 02:10:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfires & Afterfire reduced somewhat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.