Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Backfires & Afterfire reduced somewhat (Read 3748 times)
HJH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheyenne, WY
Re: Backfires & Afterfire gone completely!!!
Reply #30 - 09/24/11 at 14:49:39

I cut 10 mm off the total height of the spring, as instructed, and except when the bike is first started, I have no more backfires on deceleration or shifting, despite the fact I have not switched from the 52.5 pilot to the 55 because I am at 6,000 feet and need leaner jetting than most folks.  No loss of power from the spring mod, and the addition of one more washer to go from 1/2 to 3/4 of the original spacer has made the bike run more cleanly, accelerate better and gas mileage is up, despite my driving style.

Silver '02, Dyna, Raptor Petcock, VM carb at 6000 ft, Q2 needle, 12.5 pilot, 170 main, UFO, Verslavy, Pirelli 150/90, Plexistar 2 Windshield, K&N filter, Tourmaster II bag, Progressive Shocks
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #31 - 09/25/11 at 05:48:28

So far the score is: worked for 4
                    did not work for 2
                                              Undecided

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #32 - 09/25/11 at 11:18:24

Make that 4 to 3- I tried it today and experienced a slight reduction in backfires but now my idle is uneven and I can't tune it properly.
Guess I will have to order the spring from the stealer and "put 'em back the way they was" to quote "Li'l Abner". Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
TheSnakeLady

Thumpers Rule!!!

Central New York
Reply #33 - 09/25/11 at 15:47:02

Art, have you done the spacer mod?  I myself haven't but I noticed that at least one of the guys that this worked for had and it seemed, if I understood his post correctly, he may have needed to play with that mod along with this mod.  Hmm, perhaps we should try that before going back to stock. Questioning

My ride is a 2005 LS650, customized with ISO grips, cone air filter, stage 1 jets, Jardine exhaust, solo seat, AM turn sigs, and a catseye tail light. Next year, custom paint job (hopefully)!
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #34 - 09/25/11 at 16:12:02

Yes I did a 2/3 spacer mod. And rejetted and I have a dial-a-jet as well. I pulled the plug a week ago and it looked pretty good, so I know I've got the jetting right.

IP Logged
danman1
YaBB Newbies

1995 suzuki sl650
softail bobber

cali
Reply #35 - 09/28/11 at 02:49:40

im in southern ca. almost straight through pipe small baffle, running a 155 main and 55 pilot with a shaved in half white spacer and just cut down the 10mm off of the entire spring on the side of the carb.  also i had to tighten my idle adjustment, the mod caused the bike to idle lower. the poof was very annoying before but now bike has a very silent unnoticeable poof at shutoff which is great. Cool bike seems to backfire when revving engine past and around 2/3rds throttle with clutch pulled in now though. i only rode it for about ten minutes after the mod so ill get more info later. ill probably play with my air fuel mixture screw when  the sun comes out.

id say it worked for me.

WWW   IP Logged
danman1
YaBB Newbies

1995 suzuki sl650
softail bobber

cali
Reply #36 - 09/29/11 at 16:13:35

the poof is back with a vengeance. i really dislike using that word "poof" when describing how my bike sounds.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #37 - 09/30/11 at 10:30:30

danman1 wrote on 09/29/11 at 16:13:35:
the poof is back with a vengeance. i really dislike using that word "poof" when describing how my bike sounds.

I can understand your discomfort with the term "poof."

Are you sure your throttle enrichment valve (TEV) is clean, clear, and working normally?  See MotoBuddha's reply #20 in this thread.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
danman1
YaBB Newbies

1995 suzuki sl650
softail bobber

cali
Reply #38 - 10/05/11 at 14:54:29

since that post the after-fire is silent again. i guess it can return when it wants to. thats better than after-fire at every shutoff.

though i should mention that two days ago i looked at the exhaust while i hit the kills-witch and a small burst of fire came shooting out, not any noise.

i just looked at post #20 and my tev looked nothing like that. nor did my crab floats and bowl. Smiley that looked horrible.

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #39 - 10/06/11 at 16:58:42

I have been driving around with the cut spring for a week now, and the backfires are greatly reduced. The problem I am having is that when I come to a stop light and pull the clutch with the throttle off, it stalls sometimes, and when it doesn't stall the idle drops way down for a second before coming back up. And sometimes the idle is uneven. Is there a way to tune this out?
I run a Raask exhaust, K&N drop in filter, 2/3 spacer mod, 55 pilot with bleed holes and a 150 main with a Dial-a-Jet. The mixture screw is 1 1/2 turns out, and the idle set to 1100 rpm.

IP Logged
danman1
YaBB Newbies

1995 suzuki sl650
softail bobber

cali
Reply #40 - 10/06/11 at 18:44:33

^mine also did that. so i raised the idle. but i dont have a tach so i dont know what its idling at. it sounds good though now. before i cut the spring it idled straight and constant like a lawnmower.. now it has a beat like an old chopper should. i like it.

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #41 - 10/07/11 at 16:13:12

I did some research and this valve is also called a coaster valve and is designed to enrich the mixture when coasting with the throttle off. So when you come to a stop and close the throttle the vacuum inlet on the engine side of the butterfly sucks the diaphragm out enriching the mixture. Cutting the spring makes it so less vacuum is needed to enrich the mixture.
Which in turn rich-ens the idle.
I much prefer not having to let the clutch out to restart the bike while coasting to a stop to having reduced backfire and pop.
Sure you can set the idle to 1500 rpm to compensate, but I don't much like that idea either.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 07/12/12 at 13:03:14

This tread is locked for additional comments.   If you want to continue discussing this dead one, go here.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1335447146

If you want to read the TEV-2 theoretical thread that replaced this one, go here.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1318209614

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 02:47:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfires & Afterfire reduced somewhat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.