Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electrical - won't start, light, beep (Read 102 times)
qp
YaBB Newbies

Salt Lake City
Electrical - won't start, light, beep
03/01/10 at 21:59:56

The starter won't, head/turn/markers/brake don't light, no horn. The tail light is on and it appears to be fully lit. Battery reads 12.5v, connected jumper cables from car, no go.
The two fuses (main/relay) under the seat are good.

I have made a bunch of electrical modifications (adding led lights,) but they were done in September and I have been riding for all of October, November and February. I was able to push-start it to ride it home. I figure if it were a hot wire grounding (which seems most likely) it would drain the battery, pronto, but the battery seems just fine. Also a low battery would be evident by all of the lights being on but dimly, and the starter would at least click, but these are not happening.

Do you all have any suggestions?
Where can I find a schematic?
Are there more fuses than the two under the seat?

YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Electrical - won't start, light, beep
Reply #1 - 03/01/10 at 22:30:03

check your grounds, one on the bottom of the engine behind the oil level window.
Check the connectors, for the controls up front and under the tank.  they do occasionally pull loose especially if you haven't pushed them all the way home.
check what you added first.
Clymer has wiring diagrams.

WWW   IP Logged
conlime
YaBB Newbies

Chicago
Reply #2 - 03/02/10 at 00:32:17

I  had the same problem last year, twice. First time when I went to start the engine cranked but never turned over. Replaced the fouled spark plug and started right up...

What you're dealing with sounds like what happened to me the second time. I would get a strong light...brake and headlight. Signals worked (not to sure of the horn) and it drove me crazy cause it wouldn't crank. All I heard was rapid clicks. Checked the fuses / wires / batt cables and still nothing. I hooked the bike batt to the car (car was off) and that wouldn't turn it at all either.

Replaced the battery (as a last option) fired right up. This could be your problem. Let me know how it goes. Oh, and I was getting strong reading from my batt as well but it just wasn't enough to make her turn over.

Adam

If you keep throwing yourself into the fire you'll eventually figure out a way to not get burt.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 03/02/10 at 04:26:42

Quote:
head/turn/markers/brake don't light, no horn. The tail light is on and it appears to be fully lit. Battery reads 12.5v, connected jumper cables from car, no go.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wish I knew the bike's wiring better so I could try to help more.
But the above plainly tells me that the battery is NOT the problem.

Somewhere,....after the battery, the "juice" is coming to a bad connection. Arm yourself w/ a 12v test light and follow the big red wires till you run outta juice ?

Like was said, it is a connection problem, check all grounds, then check plug in connectors.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/02/10 at 10:23:12

Hm, this is kinda silly, mine acts the same when I turn the key to "parking" position. Tail light on, nothing else runs. (My front parking bulb burned). And it acts exactly as you described. But it's just me. Or there's some weird short in the ignition lock.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 03/02/10 at 10:46:13

I think mine does that too  Undecided

Oh no, .....you don't suppose............. Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
qp
YaBB Newbies

Salt Lake City
Reply #6 - 03/02/10 at 16:58:21

Problem solved!
It was a honking-big yellow connector that had come unattached, but because of the rubber shroud and electrical tape it looked okay. I poked it a few times with my finger and it fell apart. Seems that it was never fully inserted since I could hear and feel the click of the plastic tabs when I put it back together.  Located on the left side, under the forward part of the gas tank.

Thanks to all for your encouragement and suggestions.

Savage Forum rocks.

Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 11:49:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical - won't start, light, beep

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.