Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
more carb questions... (Read 83 times)
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

more carb questions...
03/01/10 at 19:13:09

you guys are probably tired of these....I'm a newbie. My friend bought his wife an S40. She went out and bought herself a fish tail exhaust pipe (straight pipe) and I was wondering if anyone can give me a good base line to re jet, shim, or richen the carb for this set up. Or possibly a different carb altogether?? Also, how sensitive are the bikes to an open exhaust?? Should I baffle it or will it be OK running straight through.

Nice forum ya'll have. Thanks for any help at all.

IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Re: more carb questions...
Reply #1 - 03/01/10 at 20:02:56

You have to start with a baseline.  Is the air filter clean? Has the carb ever been touched by an amateur?  If not, find out what size jets are installed now.  They have changed over the years. Don't use vented pilot jets - ones with holes in the side.  If you do, all bets are off. Pull the spark plug and see if it is blackish - too rich or whitish - too lean.  How does it act when riding, hesitations or flat spots?
I'm not fond of open pipes. Gives riders a bad rep. Attracts police. A Harley Dyna muffler is mellow and not expensive - usually $20 good used on eBay.
Generally, if the carb has not ever been messed with, start off with small changes, maybe go up one jet size. Trim or shim the white spacer to half it's stock thickness. Don't go overboard.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: more carb questions...
Reply #2 - 03/02/10 at 17:02:24

S-40, 95 at best, lean setup, from the factory. Make it more lean with a less restrictive exhaust? Lookin to cook a motor. Pop a 150 main in, trim the white washer by aboiut 1/3rd, pull the cap on the idla air adjust & set that up to work with the new jets. You may not need the pilot jet.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:11:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › more carb questions...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.