Send Topic Print
new savage owner (Read 202 times)
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
new savage owner
02/28/10 at 22:29:07

i just purchased my first motorcycle, which, after much research, happened to be a savage. It's a 2002 with only 900 miles. Is there anything, as far as maintainence that I should get to right away besides an oil change? the tires are good and as far as i can tell everthing else aesthetically is good. Like I said, I'm new to this and I would like to keep this thing running good as long as possible. anything I should look out for?

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Re: new savage owner
Reply #1 - 02/28/10 at 22:42:37

btw, i have some bluing of the exhaust in the first section at the bend. anyone know what i can do to remove and remedt this? i tried searching the forum but no luck. thanks

IP Logged
JESPOKER4FUN
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Henderson, NV
Reply #2 - 02/28/10 at 22:56:57

You can use Blue away or Blue job.
I used Blue away and it worked great.
If the bike was sitting for a long time, you should at least change the engine oil.
Other than that make sure you inspect both tires for cracks in the sidewalls and the tread.
Happy riding to you.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 03/01/10 at 06:00:51

Here's a current thread going on about tires, if you haven't seen it.  Check those tires!  Not many miles on them, but they've been sitting for a while.  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1267297871

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/01/10 at 11:45:54

If you get the blue off but dont rejet, the blue will come back. I know how I felt with almost 5,000 miles onnit & no blue, then I blued it sitting in the driveway, racking it off, listening to the valves. I was pretty sad about it, but, now, its just part of the bike. It doesnt look so new any more, but, I know how it got to looking the way it does & I can appreciate the bike, as is. When it was new, I spent so much time keeping it clean & shiny my wife even commented on it, & I took her advice. I treat it like a car. I use it, I have fun with it & I wash it, once in a while, but its not a showpiece. Its not horribly nasty, but Im not gonna wait 20 minutes to run to town because its a bit dirty. The blue is a common thing on other things. The Moto Guzzi I had made less than 20 miles before it was blued. Heck with all that stuff. Lets RIDE!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/01/10 at 12:46:26

Has it gotten it's 1st maitenance?
retorquing the head can prevent an oil leak between the head and cylinder.
And adjust valves.

Got owner's manual?  look for a copy in the tech section.

WWW   IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #6 - 03/01/10 at 14:55:39

I don't know if it's had it's first maintainence. The last owner only rode it about 50 miles while they had it so the first maintianence should have been done with the previous but I don't know. The way I found this site was googling for the owner's manual which I found.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/01/10 at 15:35:26

changing oil should be at least a yearly thing if rode a little all year long.  For those that store it for long periods, before and after storage.
So I'd change the oil at a minimum.
Adjust the valves for fun.
Depending what kind of rider you are... they were... you'll need to change the jets and/or readjust the idle mixture to keep the pipe from turning blue.  Deep blue indicates lean most of the time.  I had the stock 145 main and went up to 150 w/o noticing any change in mpg.  and the pipe was blueing then softened to golden.

Keep an eye open for oil leaks, if you can't find a similar leak already posted, ask and we'll point you in the right direction.

WWW   IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #8 - 03/01/10 at 16:36:31

could you guys point me to a thread that talks about adjusting the fuel/air mixture and also where i should be looking for oil leaks on the bike? thanks, ya'll have been very helpful already!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 03/02/10 at 17:14:54

FWIW, Ive never retorqued a head bolt, 20K miles, no leaks up there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #10 - 03/02/10 at 18:59:49

is this head bolt that you speak of right up in the front of the engine where the exhaust exits? sorry i don't know all the correct terminology. like i said this is my first bike. it appears that there has been some oil leaking there in the past. it looks to be old oil and not a lot of it but some has been blown down onto the um.....cooling fins? again, bad terminology but i think you get the point. I know the previous owner had not changed the oil and the one before that hadnt in a while due to how dirty it was but the level of it was fine so i don't think it leaked much at all. is this an easy fix, like just tightening that bolt? while i wait for a reply i'll search the forum for a remedy. thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 03/02/10 at 19:50:11

WWW   IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #12 - 03/02/10 at 21:09:25

wow that really sounds like a lot of work that i am not qualified to do.is this really something that an inexperienced person such as myself can handle without screwing something up?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 03/02/10 at 21:33:46

1st things 1st then.
Don't worry about things that haven't happened yet
get some training, we'll start you off with oil changes, then adjusting your valves, cleaning your carb, changing your tires, checking your cam chain.
by then you'll be an old pro.  and going on to the head plug will be a minor step up.

WWW   IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #14 - 03/03/10 at 04:05:22

cool thanks. i've already got my oil changed. the first thing i want to do is get my spark plug changed. i've got the clymers manual and it seems like a fairly simple process but any tips would be appreciated.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:10:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new savage owner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.