Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do I need new tires? (Read 159 times)
littlefights

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Do I need new tires?
02/27/10 at 11:11:10

I feel like anytime I have a question, at least 2 other people have already posted something similar in the last week, so sorry for the repetitive stuff.

I've got an 86 with very low miles that I picked up from the second owner.  He bought it from a neighbor down the street who had bought it for his wife, who pretty much never rode it.  The 2nd owner had done some carb work, but I don't remember him saying whether he had replaced the tires or if the 1st owner had replaced them before selling the bike.  I'm currently around 3000 miles, with the last 1300 coming from me.  The front tire treads are looking a little worn - pretty evenly, though and there's a bit less than 1/4 inch of tread depth.  There is some cracking along the side and in some of the treads.  I've tried to get some pictures, but the cracks aren't showing up very clearly.  The rear tire looks much better - lots of tread depth left and very minimal cracking along the side.  Both tires are IRC.  I tried to find markings that would indicate manufacturing date, but really wasn't sure what I'm looking for.

Here are several pics.  I've got some tax return money coming that I'm either going to use to get new tires, or do some other cosmetic/performance upgrades.  Do I need new tires?  Do I just need a new front tire?  Or should they last me a while yet?

As always, the help is greatly appreciated.  

Front tire:

Rear tire:

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Do I need new tires?
Reply #1 - 02/27/10 at 11:26:57

if you have cracking on the sidewall get new tires.

IP Logged
JESPOKER4FUN
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Henderson, NV
Reply #2 - 02/27/10 at 11:31:12

I have seen dry rotting on the sidewalls. This is usually caused by armor all or similar tire glosses. When you stop using the product the sidewalls will dry out.
Because there are cracks in between the tread I would suggest replacing the front tire.
I just had the same problems with my tires and changed them.
Just my opinion

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #3 - 02/27/10 at 12:17:06

New tires, your life could depend on them.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 02/27/10 at 12:40:16

Somewhere on the tire is a date code, but with only 3k miles, they might be original.

Think about it,  24 year old tires.......  Going 65 down the highway.....  NOT me.

Please replace them..... safety first!!!!

EDIT: I would recommend not buying the origianl IRC brand tires.    You can do soo much better.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/27/10 at 14:46:38

date code...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

if you're riding about town, low speed kinda stuff, I might keep going as you got plenty of tread.  But if you're doing anything better than 40 I'd get new tires.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 02/27/10 at 20:47:22

Little,

Please post the date the tires were manufactured.

Based on the pics alone, that tire looks good.  Need to know how old it is, though.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
littlefights

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/28/10 at 10:21:16

Front tire date code is DOT CJMS HER 056.

Rear tire date code is DOT CJVA HER 046.

So from that website these tires are, at best, 10 years old and could very possibly be the originals.  Guess its time for new tires.

Thanks for your help everybody.

Anyone know of a good shop in the Raleigh-Durham area?  I'll pull the wheels, but no way am I trying to install the tires myself.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 02/28/10 at 19:00:25

From Wikipedia:

The DOT Code begins with the letters "DOT" followed by a plant code (two numbers or letters) that identifies where it was manufactured. The last four numbers represent the week and year the tire was built. A three-digit code was used for tires manufactured before the year 2000. For example, 178 means it was manufactured in the 17th week of 8th year of the decade. In this case it means 1988. For tires manufactured in the 1990s, the same code holds true, but there is a little triangle (Δ) after the DOT code. Thus, a tire manufactured in the 17th week of 1998 would have the code 178Δ. In 2000, the code was switched to a 4-digit code. Same rules apply, so for example, 3003 means the tire was manufactured in the 30th week of 2003.

Something tells me you've got the original rubber on that 1986 machine.  If it were me, I would not ride that bike another inch until it had new tires.

But, that's just me......please be careful!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 14:27:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Do I need new tires?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.