Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Putting on the goods... (Read 790 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Putting on the goods...
Reply #15 - 01/29/10 at 14:08:02

babyhog wrote on 01/29/10 at 08:59:57:
LANCER wrote on 01/28/10 at 16:41:35:
EJID wrote on 01/11/10 at 15:34:09:
LostArtist wrote on 01/11/10 at 15:26:46:
sounds like you found some great buys EJID!!  wish I was that lucky Wink  

Patience on ebay was the way to go. Missed several auctions by $5 or less, but that's why it took a couple of months to get the things that I wanted too. And winter deals for bike parts seem to be pretty good  Grin

Oh yea,  patience on ebay will be rewarded with great stuff for dirt cheap.  You have to make a list of what you want and then set your max price, and then go with it.  If you loose an auction then just move on and wait for another.  I spent 6 months searching for a pair of Progressive shocks and finally got what I wanted for what I wanted.
Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together ?
Oh yea.

I did the same with my Mustang seat.  Bid on a few, let 'em go when it gets too high...  Patience can be a real b!tch sometimes, but does usually pay off!

Did the same when I got my Road King tank. I was beginning to wonder if these Road King riders even knew how to keep the things upright because one right after another I would get outbid on. This happened for several months until finally I got one for the starting bid price.

Been working on a getting a helmet camera and a legit copy of windows lately. But I haven't gotten lucky yet. Though the other day I was out bid in the last 3 seconds on a helmet camera and lost it by 50 cents.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #16 - 02/01/10 at 10:16:00

So I got the bags put on and the signals in place, but I was working on getting that Dyna muffler on and fighting with it quite a bit. When I get it on the header pipe, the end of the pipe is pushing on the brake cable. I can get it on there and it seems to be a really snug fit to the point that I can put the muffler clamp on the connection, but the angle is still messed up.

I didn't really notice, but my father in law was there "supervising" while I was doing this and he noticed that it looks like the PO cut and rewelded the header pipe!!! I had not even really paid attention to it, and maybe you guys can tell me if this is the case. Maybe he cut it off with some sort of intentions, but never got around to it, so he welded it back on, or maybe this is how bad the weld looks anyways.

Not the best pic of the problem area, but you can see that on the header pipe, the farthest rusty spot to the right is the area I am talking about. It almost has a C shape to it!

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #17 - 02/01/10 at 10:28:00

When I stuck my aftermarket pipe on, it did the same thing ('06).

I put some exhaust sealer inside a piece of sheet metel I had cut to size to fit over the header and inside of the new exhaust. I used a 2X4 piece and a rubber mallet to tap it all the way onto the header pipe. I only attached it with one carraige bolt to the the stock exhaust bracket. Then, before things got set up I twisted the new exhaust downward and tightened up the mounting bolt and the harley clamp I got from a dealer.

As far as I can tell, no leaks and the exhaust only slightly blows on the brake assembly...
Hope that helps

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #18 - 02/02/10 at 09:16:12

We used a short extension piece that I got at the auto parts store.  It still required the rubber mallet and 2x4, but it got it back a little further, so we could use both bracket bolts.  It looked like it was going to be really close to the brake cable too, but once we snugged it up, it was far enough away.  Didn't use any sealer, and I think I have a slight leak... haven't gotten around to fixing that yet, I'm remembering that now....

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #19 - 03/14/10 at 21:46:35

EJID wrote on 01/11/10 at 00:26:05:
If anyone has any suggestions regarding the pipe, I would appreciate them, otherwise I will try and see what the muffler shop can do if I bring in those measurements and the Harley pipe this week.

I just started my Dyna muffler swap, and I'm kind of struggling with it too.  I don't see how this can be done properly without getting a muffler shop to bend a short angled adapter pipe.   And just to add another variable, here's what I found when I pulled the stock muffler off my '06.  Notice there's already a sleeve stuck on the header.  This sleeve has an O.D. of 1.72 inches, so the Dyna muffler does indeed slip right on.  But as you found, the end of the muffler hits the brake cable, and it doesn't sit straight on the header.  

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #20 - 03/20/10 at 09:21:06

siriusjoe wrote on 03/14/10 at 21:46:35:
EJID wrote on 01/11/10 at 00:26:05:
If anyone has any suggestions regarding the pipe, I would appreciate them, otherwise I will try and see what the muffler shop can do if I bring in those measurements and the Harley pipe this week.

I just started my Dyna muffler swap, and I'm kind of struggling with it too.  I don't see how this can be done properly without getting a muffler shop to bend a short angled adapter pipe.   And just to add another variable, here's what I found when I pulled the stock muffler off my '06.  Notice there's already a sleeve stuck on the header.  This sleeve has an O.D. of 1.72 inches, so the Dyna muffler does indeed slip right on.  But as you found, the end of the muffler hits the brake cable, and it doesn't sit straight on the header.  

http://home.comcast.net/~siriusjoe2/sleeve.jpg

Here is what I came up with:
First is a 7 inch piece that a muffler shop gave me, second is a 7 inch piece that I bought from a second muffler shop after I had them put a 7o bend in it. (Edit: it was a 7 inch piece with a 10o bend)

Next I will post some pics with the stock muffler, dyna muffler with straight adapter and finally dyna muffler with bent adapter.

« Last Edit: 03/26/10 at 16:21:26 by EJID »  

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #21 - 03/20/10 at 09:31:03

Stock Muffler

Stock Muffler from rear (just hanging there not attached to bracket)

Stock Muffler from rear - clearance from brake arm/cable

Dyna - no adapter

Dyna - Straight 7 inch adapter

Dyna - 7 inch adapter with 7o bend READY TO BOLT IT ON!!!   Smiley  Smiley  Smiley Edit: it was a 7 inch adapter with a 10o bend

« Last Edit: 03/26/10 at 16:23:56 by EJID »  

IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #22 - 03/20/10 at 09:57:46

Your bike has the same problem as mine - the header pipe bends in toward the frame rather than pointing straight back.   (Although mine was even worse than yours, the end of the muffler was hitting the rear wheel hub!)   I came to the same conclusion, it cannot be done without that angled adapter pipe, but that wasn't the end of my problems.  I eventually gave up and bought a Jardine.  You can read the whole story in this thread:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1268577103

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #23 - 03/20/10 at 10:55:01

Here's a couple of pictures of the turn signals finally mounted and a profile of the Saddleman bags. Not quite as clean as the Saxman relocation, but it will do the job until I upgrade to LEDs.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #24 - 03/26/10 at 16:04:37

Alright, here's the final pics on this thread for me. I've finally finished putting on the fork bag, saddlebag supports, saddlebags, windshield, and Dyna muffler (with 7 inch adapter pipe with a 10o bend). Only thing left to do is get out and RIDE, then I can rejet for the new muffler as necessary  Smiley (I will need to get a new chrome heat shield to hide the adapter pipe, but that "should" be a simple task)

When I bought the bike:

What it looks like now:

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #25 - 03/28/10 at 06:13:17

Sweeeettt...Nice job you did. You should be proud of yourself. Now let's hear how well your enjoying rding your bike....

IP Logged
J-Snap
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario
Reply #26 - 04/11/10 at 00:27:14

Awesome! Glad to see this turned out for you.

One question for you though - when I go into the muffler shop to get one of those bad boys cooked up for me, what's the step-down I ask for? I think I read somewhere that the OD of the Header is 1 5/8?

Any help would be appreciated!

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #27 - 04/12/10 at 08:17:00

J-Snap wrote on 04/11/10 at 00:27:14:
Awesome! Glad to see this turned out for you.

One question for you though - when I go into the muffler shop to get one of those bad boys cooked up for me, what's the step-down I ask for? I think I read somewhere that the OD of the Header is 1 5/8?

Any help would be appreciated!

I'm not 100% sure of the stepdown amount because I just emptied a couple beers and used the tin snips to make a couple shims for mine.  Grin

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #28 - 04/12/10 at 08:35:47

A 1 1/2 inch muffler fits perfect,No play so you can't kink it to get it farer from the bike.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:30:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Putting on the goods...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.