New to Forum (Read 1588 times)
stevemillerster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spencer In
New to Forum
03/14/10 at 07:31:43

Good morning, I just purchased an 05 S40 and was wondering (After I searched the forum) if anyone has any ideas for a new muffler that would be somewhat louder but not just a straight pipe?  I don't want to be deaf, just have a sweeter exhaust note.

Thanks for any help!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New to Forum
Reply #1 - 03/14/10 at 07:53:26

For a beter sound,some increase in performance, less weight & a mu8ch nicer looking muffler, Id go with a Dyna H/D takeoff. Cheap & easy to get, generally. If youll be wanting to get more power than that little bump, the Supertrapp is tunable, but pretty spendy. If you go w/ the TRapp, you can swap the cam out when its cam chain time & retune the Trapp to get the most out of that. Jetting the carb & tweaking it or just swapping the carb will be a step up in performance. The Backfire issue will tell you what changes you have to make.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stevemillerster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spencer In
Reply #2 - 03/14/10 at 08:02:39

Is the H/D Dyna muffler very loud?  
I have been reading about the backfire issues and am going to make the carb mod pretty soon.  Right now extra power isn't important.  I am VERY new to motorcycles and this is plent powerful enough for me right now.

Thank you for your advice!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 03/14/10 at 08:21:56

The Harley Sportster muffler is only a little louder, pleasant deep tone, and 10 lbs lighter...
For easy install find one that has a rail type mount like this one...

installed, looks like this... This one has a little discoloration from 16k hard miles...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 03/14/10 at 08:49:24

The Dyna isnt obnoxious. Its a stock H/D muffler. As`far as Im concerned, its the best looking muffler Ive seen on the Savage. I have a Supertrapp, not as pretty, but tunable.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/14/10 at 09:04:16

WWW   IP Logged
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Reply #6 - 03/14/10 at 12:22:19

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/14/10 at 08:49:24:
The Dyna isnt obnoxious. Its a stock H/D muffler. As`far as Im concerned, its the best looking muffler Ive seen on the Savage. I have a Supertrapp, not as pretty, but tunable.

I think the supertarpp is very pretty, but it is spendy.

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 03/14/10 at 12:34:41

Granted, IMO, the TRapp outshines the stock muffler in every way, I just look at the trim little Dyna & see it as "Fitting" the bikes smallish stature better.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 03/14/10 at 14:08:39

Heres an alternative,.....
beauty....questionable
sound....good
backpressure...less
cost....cheap

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #9 - 03/14/10 at 14:59:20

the dyna exhaust is great

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
stevemillerster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spencer In
Reply #10 - 03/14/10 at 17:44:39

Roudy,
Did you just drill holes in the exhaust?

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 03/14/10 at 20:37:41

No, I did it shortly after I got this bike last July. Not only could I believe all that exhaust had to go out that little 3/4" hole, it was too quiet too. I don't like a noisy bike either, so I started w/ 3/16, and enlarged them to 7/32,....just right.

stevemillerster wrote on 03/14/10 at 17:44:39:
Roudy,
Did you just drill holes in the exhaust?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 03/15/10 at 07:14:59

Maybe, but installing one sure isn't straight forward ! I have never heard so many different conflicting stories about installing one,....all the way from,........
slipping it right on..no problem....
to ruining/buchering up a perfectly good header pipe only to have exhaust leaks afterwards, if not burning up the brake cable !

Now com on guys ...either the dam thing needs to be angled to line up, or it don't ! And either the pipe OD's & ID's are right, or they aren't.
Does it seem like the pipes are not all the same,...and neither are the Dynas ? I'd much sooner buy something that was designed to fit.
But I am perfectly happy w/ my drilled OEM Grin

jabman wrote on 03/14/10 at 14:59:20:
the dyna exhaust is great

Rich
  IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #13 - 03/15/10 at 07:50:23

Routy wrote on 03/15/10 at 07:14:59:
Now com on guys ...either the dam thing needs to be angled to line up, or it don't ! And either the pipe OD's & ID's are right, or they aren't.

Here's what it looks like.  Now, I'm not much of a mechanical guy so maybe I'm making it harder than it needs to be, but this sure doesn't look like you can just stick a clamp on and be done.  If I did something like that at my job, they'd fire me.  Wink

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 03/15/10 at 07:59:45

I bought a pipe seeing it had to have a angle It put the stock back on,Later I found the angle I would need but left the stock pipe on and drilled a hole up in the pipe,Does it sound good no,It raise the powerband up maybe 300 rpm lost on the bottom and gained on the top.I have drilled all of the pipes on every bike I've had but the goldwing and 2 cycles.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:34:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New to Forum

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.