Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear brake pedal adj. (Read 849 times)
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Rear brake pedal adj.
09/14/09 at 05:49:28

I was asked to post this up, so here goes.

My brake pedal was too high (I actually had to raise my entire leg to get on it!)  Tongue so adjusted as follows.

Loosen nut at rear drum. This will give you slack in the pedal cable.

Under brake pedal is a bolt with a locking nut. Loosen nut, hold pedal down and screw bolt in until the desired pedal position is attained. Retighten the lock nut. Notice the second cable attached to the pedal. It's the little wire looking thing to the right of the bolt. This is the brake light cable.

Tighten rear nut until the brake is firm, but not tight. It may take a few adjustments to get it to your satisfaction. Too loose, brake will be mushy and to firm may cause a lock-up. I sugest taking a road trip with a 14mm wrench.

You will have to adjust the rear brake light as follows. This switch looks like a black tube and has a black rubber booty on the top.

If you grab the switch below the bracket near the top of the spring with needle nose pliers and push the switch up out of the bracket, you can turn the black plastic nut. It is almost impossible to get anything besides a finger on the nut. I tried to use needle nose pliers, but boogered the threads which made things worse. Lubricate the threads first and have have a beer if you can. This part is a pain!  Lips Sealed If you lower the pedal you will have to turn the nut ccw. Turn on key and push on brake pedal. Adjust nut till you are happy. I had to turn mine to almost the top of the threads. Lots of folks want the light to come on before the brake does so they can flash tailgaters.

Finished pedal location is next pic.

Smiley
« Last Edit: 05/22/16 at 19:45:47 by verslagen1 »  

RearBrakeAdj.jpg

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
frizat
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Rear brake pedal adj.
Reply #1 - 09/10/12 at 13:47:51

I was having the same problem w/ the '03 Savage.  Any chance you can get those pictures to post again? I'd love to do this on my bike.

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #2 - 09/10/12 at 14:36:21

Boy, it's been a while since I've seen those pics. I will try to locate them and re-post.  

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #3 - 09/17/12 at 10:06:33

wanted to say thanks for reposting the photos and for the write up.  perfect!  my brake was way up in the air and is now reachable without having to take my foot off the peg completely.

i did not have to adjust my brake light switch though.  still comes on right when i first start pressing the pedal down.

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #4 - 09/17/12 at 11:31:11

That was a good thing about not having to adjust the light. I had to screw mine almost all the way out to get it to work right. I posted that thread so long ago that all of the pics were in my old computer. Thanks to Cavi Mike  for digging them up. I can't believe that my bike was that dirty!

IP Logged
oram
YaBB Newbies

Halifax, Canada
Reply #5 - 02/18/16 at 06:37:48

For anyone interested, I've reformatted the above instructions as a downloadable pdf (packaged as a zip file).

2006 s40 stock
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #6 - 02/18/16 at 07:03:24

Oram,

Thank you for the PDF conversion.

Kenny G

IP Logged
FickAJ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/10/16 at 09:07:26

Yeah thanks

I totally just did this in about 2min and took my 14mm wrench for a quick test.  a few turns here and there and im good.  way more comfortable.  

Fick

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #8 - 03/20/16 at 11:13:46

oram wrote on 02/18/16 at 06:37:48:
For anyone interested, I've reformatted the above instructions as a downloadable pdf (packaged as a zip file).

THANK YOU

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/11/18 at 12:45:59

If you're going to do this and need to adjust the light, don't muck with the plastic bolt and retainer, instead adjust the cable at the adjustment point a little lower on the cable.

You can turn the top nut counter clockwise, which loosens up the cable so you can turn the bottom nut clockwise to lengthen it, then screw the top nut back down.

20180811_150324.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 23:59:21

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Rear brake pedal adj.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.