Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Prime.. (Read 7534 times)
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Re: Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Pri
Reply #15 - 04/05/12 at 08:39:22

Where can i get plugs for my vac line like you have there? I went to pep boys but they didnt have them. any ideas.??

All auto stores have them, you simply have to ask the clerk where they keep them as some stores keep them behind the counter.

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
Ramxes
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Los Angeles
Reply #16 - 04/06/12 at 11:34:26

I bought my vac cap from Pepboys around $3.oo for 2pcs,
Check at Autozone they might also have it : http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Miscellaneous-Repair-Parts/Vacuu...

This is what I got from Pepboys : Vacu-Tite Vacuum Caps (2pcs) 5/32" (3.96mm)

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 04/11/12 at 12:01:39

demtho41 wrote on 04/11/12 at 10:33:11:
I'm a newbie, first bike, I'm having the same issue with the petcock, the bike runs great with it on prime, in the on position I can barely make it out of my driveway before it shuts off, but it will idle beautifully for hours, I tried throwing some seafoam in the tank to see if that helps, as the bike is a 2003 and has less then 3000 miles on it. Again though the bike still only runs when it is the prime position and sucks gas works then my 6cly car. I took my petcock apart and everything looks like its brand new, the diaphram is good and the hose is good, so i figured i would put it back together and see if running it some more will help but I can't get the little clasp on the outside back on, any tricks for that for those of you that have done the modification to make it manual?

Sadly, I am of the opinion the stock petcock isn't worth messing with.  You can buy a rebuild kit for the vac petcock, but folks find that it doesn't always fix the issues and lastly, for those that do fix it with the rebuild kit, after 3-7 years all the problems simply come back when the new rubber gets old.

So, Raptor once and forget about it -- the Raptor doesn't fail later on.

« Last Edit: 04/16/12 at 07:52:05 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 04/11/12 at 16:26:13

demtho41 wrote on 04/11/12 at 12:11:47:
I havn't been able to ride my bike much the couple times I have with it on prime I've noticed I've barely gotten 30 MPG does the vac petcock make that big of a difference with the MPG? I plan on hopefully using mine to commute to work with each day as it is a 160 mile round trip.

Absolutely none...  Prime vs on, vs reserve, vs Raptor should all be the same mpg's unless something is broken... then, on and reserve could cause fuel starvation...
...or a leaky vac line could cause excessive fuel consumption, but it would so at any petcock setting...

I agree with the last point made -- a leaky vac petcock bike that is trickling gas down the vac line will have poorer gas mileage than the same bike with the Raptor in place (no vac function to be leaking gas).

Still, all said -- your right wrist usage by itself can swing your gas mileage all over the range you have been talking about, and this doesn't have anything to do with petcocks vac or otherwise.

Cheesy

Folks with Raptors like the way their bike runs, so they whack it open more often to feel it GO !!!    Then they see their mileage went down and wonder why.

« Last Edit: 04/16/12 at 07:58:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DNLMusik
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 04/16/12 at 05:44:35

Might be a silly question, but wouldn't a stock petcock set to prime and a plugged vacuum work just as good as a raptor petcock? Just curious, I realize it's not a good permanent fix!

1 main issue with this idea, you have no reserve function at all -- you are riding along in traffic and you run out of gas and are dead on the spot with no reserve .... on a busy 4 laner this could get right nasty.

« Last Edit: 04/19/12 at 15:45:17 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #20 - 04/20/13 at 18:54:09

DNLMusik wrote on 04/16/12 at 05:44:35:

Might be a silly question, but wouldn't a stock petcock set to prime and a plugged vacuum work just as good as a raptor petcock? Just curious, I realize it's not a good permanent fix!

I rode mine (see my signature block) like that for a few years with no problems.

I finally swapped the OEM petcock with a Raptor petcock because, after all, my OEM petcock had acted up in the past.....there was no telling what the next failure mode would be (diaphragm material making its way to the float bowl, perhaps?.....It was a known defective component).

You money, your chances....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/18/24 at 22:47:46

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Prime..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.