LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
REX
07/24/09 at 16:21:55

Just a few quick shots before going under the knife one more time to find out what it looks like inside the engine and find out what caused the problems just prior to the Dragon ride.
Here's hoping that it is just oil in the combustion chamber.   Undecided

[/img]

« Last Edit: 08/27/09 at 19:01:13 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: REX
Reply #1 - 07/24/09 at 16:36:28

All the time I've been here, I never saw your bike before...  I see now how you got it under 300lbs...
Woof!...

Pretty cool!.... Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mikestrikes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Decatur, AL
Reply #2 - 07/24/09 at 16:42:14

So how well does that carb setup work ?

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/24/09 at 23:17:50

where is the battery?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/24/09 at 23:24:51

JohnBoy wrote on 07/24/09 at 23:17:50:
where is the battery?

In the garage, it had to be charged.

When installed, it sat on that piece of rubber where it usually goes.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/24/09 at 23:25:17

JohnBoy wrote on 07/24/09 at 23:17:50:
where is the battery?

Same thought here. Aside from that....bad a$$ is all that comes to mind.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/24/09 at 23:29:00

and now that i take a closer look...what forks have you got installed? You're running the same wheels as I've got. What's your axle spacing on the rear? How'd you go about spacing the sprocket? How did you adapt the rear brake hub/housing?

IP Logged
RadRacer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Petaluma,Calif
Reply #7 - 07/24/09 at 23:33:14

lol dual front rotors but only 1 caliper but still like what you've done and what did those wheels come off by the way Wink

'97 Savage stock carb #55 pilot, 1/2 spacer, #160 main,Modified Jardine, K&n air filter w/ pre-charger wrap, Nology Ign. Coil, PowerStar Spark Plug, ported head, stock cam, Verslavvy,Belt Drive
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/25/09 at 00:08:28

gs450 and then some. 550s. The 650s are different i think.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 07/25/09 at 07:01:38

As noted by Verslagen the battery sat on the rubber but was pulled back against the frame tubes behind it, away from the engine.  Brackets installed above and below the battery serve as attachment points for stretchy cords.  The battery, an Odessy dry cell type, is just resting and waiting to be mounted when REX is ready.  It is a strong battery, made for the big twins, so it will spin a Savage really well.

Front forks and wheels, front and rear, are from early 80's GS 450/550 donors.  Front wheel is standard 19" and rear is 16".   The rear wheel uses the same rear brake system as the Savage but had a different stabilizing mount point (Savage has the slot on the brake and steel extension on the swing arm, while the GS  had a hole/bolt set up), so all I did was pull the GS brake assembly and slide in the Savage assemably...exact fit; same pads and everthing.   Smiley

Metzler 880's front and rear    100/90-19 & 130/90-16  tubless of course.  Local independent Harley guy... one of the good ones ... "76 Cycle" in Chapin, SC ... specializes in the pans and shovels & such.
Anyway, he mounted and balanced the tires for me; said the rear tire is one of the extra reinforced types that required just over 100 lbs of pressure to make the tire bead "set itself" on to the wheel... will never come off unless hydraulic help is used, and that even if I have massive air loss the tire structure is so strong that I could run it flat for 50 miles or more with no problem.  He has done it on his hulking road cruiser for 30 miles, which we all know weigh in at over 600 lbs, so on my less than 300 lb grass hopper I could probably ride all day as long as I stayed below 60 mph.

The front wheel as noted has double discs, but the forks have just the one caliper.  I will be watching ebay for another fork set, or single fork tube of just the bottom since that is where the caliper mount is located.   Then I can set up the dual disc function.

Axle spacing is same on front and nearly the same on rear; I just pulled out the box with assorted spacers collected over time and worked it till it looked good.  Very scientific approach   Grin

*** I must give Verslagen much praise for the tremendous help and guidance he provided during 2 full days ... nearly round the clock... in helping me do the final assembly stuff, especially the electrical which is my weakest area of all.  We spent a lot of "QUALITY BONDING TIME" together working on REX and the SRX; which by the way refused to cooperate as well.  
I invite him out to SC from CA for the Dragon ride, offering him one of my bikes to ride and then neither one will work.  Oh man, I am bummed.  He is just all cool, no fuss, just waits for me to say what we are going to do.  My daughter offers her BMW to use and Toymaker offers his now old Savage as well.  We are both saved and have a bike to ride.  Lots of driving to get the BMW, but we make the ride just in time.
A better friend could not be found anywhere than Verslagen; he is a good man.

The 40 mm Edelbrock carb works fine with this setup; pvc 90 deg corner piece attached to rubber flange on engine, with rubber tube connector from pvc to carb which will be shortened later to decrease the carbs distance from the frame centerline..  I will be adding an additional metal brace to hold the carb in position.  I have also modified an aluminum velocity stack that is now about 4-5" to be mounted on the carb, and will have a microscreen filter cover over the intake end of it.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #10 - 07/25/09 at 08:52:57

Very cool!!!

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 07/25/09 at 09:32:42

Im pretty skittish about riding another mans bike, but Id try that out if I had the chance, just to see how huge the difference is between my sorry job of tuning is & that thing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #12 - 07/25/09 at 11:15:56

y do i feel like i just got a glimpse into the future? OH! probably because my bike may look just like that one day....except a little flat black!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 07/25/09 at 11:52:18

awe shucks    Roll Eyes

You made me feel like family.  Dad hands me a box and asks me to put it together all the time.  Oh BTW you'll need it to do...

Grin

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 07/25/09 at 19:56:14

verslagen1 wrote on 07/25/09 at 11:52:18:
awe shucks    Roll Eyes

You made me feel like family.  Dad hands me a box and asks me to put it together all the time.  Oh BTW you'll need it to do...

Grin

Like I said dude; you are a good man and a good friend.  

If I can sneak out to the shed tomorrow afternoon or evening I may get the head & cylinder off and see what is ........

By the way gang, thanks for the kind words.
I had wanted to have the tank and rear fender be polished steel but as can be seen the rust attacks quickly.  I have decided to take them to someone and have them nickel plated.  I like that look better than chrome.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 13:38:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › REX

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.