ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Oil Coooler
Reply #45 - 02/10/14 at 18:25:57

savagebob wrote on 02/10/14 at 17:56:51:
I'm disappointed that the oil-cooler mod is basically a no-go.

Someone ought to put a caveat at the start of this thread before others go and buy SV650 oil coolers.

I'm not going to risk the oil-cooler mod now as you suggest. Although, has anyone actually tested this or is it just theorising that a parallel pathway setup will starve the head? The factory oil currently flows to that port, through the bridge and back to the filter. I don't really understand why removing the bung and having it flow through a cooler and back again is doing to affect oil to the head? Oil is already flowing there?

I think you fail to understand because all the options you are spewing out.

Using the factory ports, blocking/restricting the cover xover port, will not starve the head.

WWW   IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #46 - 02/10/14 at 19:03:14

I'm not meaning to spew out options.. ok so this is how I've read this conversation.

1. There is a oil cooler mod option using the factory ports. I was going to do this to add additional oil to the system and achieve some cooling effect.

2. There appears to be some discrepancy surrounding how adding a cooler to the factory ports might affect the low pressure/volume flow to the head. Oldfeller recommends NOT doing the cooler mod for this reason.

I'm just wondering if anyone has actually fitted a cooler, and found this to be the case. Or is it just assumption that due to the already weak oil flow, adding more oil and a longer pathway (via the cooler) will impede oil flow to the head on startup and idle.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #47 - 02/10/14 at 19:27:34

Here's a sample...
savagebob wrote on 02/09/14 at 01:14:22:
I was thinking, it would be way easier to take off the little oil-filter cover and drill a hole and put a hose fitting in there for the return..

..and then I was thinking, why not just put a hose tail in place of the oil fill cap? Surely that would be the simplest solution.

I was also thinking that if I use either of those two latter methods, then the return port under the frame would remain sealed, which should mean that the cooler gets full flow, yes?  Huh

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #48 - 02/10/14 at 19:47:44

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #49 - 02/10/14 at 20:20:40

Ed tells us that he dumps his outbound oil from the cooler into the sump through a drilled passage into the top of the side case.

Ed, it would be real nice to know if that elbow fitting goes down or over to the right.  

Got us some big time AssUME potential there, 'cause the pic of the clamped rubber hose looks like it goes straight down like a low pressure dump port.   You mention dumping in your verbiage too.    

Gots to ask --- it makes a big difference, it does.

Answer would be quite different if it elbows to the right into the high pressure feeder passage.
  PS this would be unfiltered oil if you did it that way.

Ed also tells us that he is getting 3/4 of a liter per minute at 1,500 rpm through the cooler and down the dump passage.   How did you measure this?   Just took the hose off and let it flow into a jar?  

I bet the oil pressure is then likely quite low when doing this since the volume is quite high.

He doesn't say what his resulting oil pressure from his set up actually is when measured up at his head bearings, crank, tranny etc.    

It would be nice if Ed were to explain whatever trick he is using (another orifice perhaps???) to restrict the low pressure high flow side enough to give high enough pressure to correctly feed the cam bearings, etc.

Suzuki uses a jet type orifice at the lead in to the tranny pathways to make sure the pressure upstream from that orifice is high enough to properly feed the plain aluminum cam bearings up in the head.  

That jet orifice was designed to work at the maximum pressure from the oil pump & at a controlled minimal volume of oil flow.

Ed, is it still getting that as designed high input pressure, or is your parallel path system feeding it "something other than that"?

« Last Edit: 02/10/14 at 21:46:52 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #50 - 02/10/14 at 20:44:07

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/10/14 at 20:20:40:

Ed tells us that he dumps his outbound oil from the cooler into the sump through a drilled passage into the top of the side case.

That fitting dumps into the oil filter cavity.

Quote:
Ed also tells us that he is getting 3/4 of a liter per minute at 1,500 rpm through the cooler and down the dump to the sump passage.   How did you measure this?   Just took the hose off and let it flow into a jar?  

He ran the oil cooler out into a bucket.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #51 - 02/10/14 at 20:56:51

Did Ed block off the passageway from the crankcase to the side cover?  Or did he leave a parallel path there?

If he's feeding the oil filter housing then he is really using just whatever small volume of oil that can go up through the tranny orifice and the various clearances in head, tranny and crank as his total cooling volume.

Good pressure, good bearing life, yes, but not much real flow volume for bulk cooling purposes.

You understand that when he undid the hose and let it flow into a jar, he was venting off 100% of the entire system pressure and NOTHING was going to his bearings pressure/volume-wise while he was doing his volume test.  

His test method he used to get his 3/4 liter per minute maxed out his flow volume and gave up all his pressure.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #52 - 02/10/14 at 21:13:28

Feeding the oil filter cavity with ambient temperature oil is nice, but what temperature is that small volume of oil going to be when it gets around and over and up and over and across to the cam bearings?    The castings are all at engine operating temperature, so I suspect the cooled oil is too by the time it gets up to the head.

If he didn't block off that cases/cover passage, he has a 50/50 mixed bag of input oil temperatures actually feeding into the oil filter cavity.   Half will be ambient air temp and half will be engine operating temperature.

It all comes down to the same old quandary, to be safe you keep the pressure high (volume low) and get very very little effective cooling out of the rig.

If you want a lot of real sump cooling effect, you need a separate high volume low pressure pump that just moves a ton of oil from the sump up through the cooler and back to the sump, circulating repeatedly.

You do know the SV650 uses aimed oil jets to blast oil streams on the bottom side of the piston crown -- Suzuki calls it the "Suzuki oil jet cooling system" and they use it in all their high performance engines.

I don't think the Savage has that "Suzuki oil jet cooling system" with the separate aimed oil nozzles and all -- we likely just use a slinger system that takes the post-use eccentric crank pin lube flow and slings it up to splash lube the piston and cylinder walls.

Just splash lube, no intentional piston crown cooling.

Supercharging and Nitrous will both overheat the center of the piston crown and we do have us a beer can sized piston dome to deal with ....

...... with it getting all hot and softening some in the middle  .....

Roll Eyes      bet the top ring groove area expands a whole bunch more than normal when boost is high, too

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #53 - 02/10/14 at 21:15:41

Ed L. wrote on 08/13/06 at 08:27:07:
I'm just leaving it as is with the internal oil passage way open. Even putting a restrictor in makes me nervous. There was no real easy, safe way to block it off and keeping it open allows me to isolate the cooler with the engine running and use the sight glass to check on the oil level. Took a while to figure that out, might put a ball valve in the "to" line instead of clamping the hose with vice grips. Think a ball valve would be a good idea, then you could isolate the cooler in cold weather. An automatic temp controlled bypass valve would be cool to have but there isn't a lot of room to work  with, there is a big ol exhaust pipe in the way. I was a bit nervous about welding onto the downtube of the frame so ended up using hose clamps to attach the brackets with. Thinking about shooting the cooler and brackets with some rattlecan black paint to hide it when I get the time.    

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #54 - 02/11/14 at 08:17:06

This is the third time Verslagen and I have gone at the oil system.  

First few times were attempts to rig up long term oil filtration, I built one, he identified an oil furnace filter system that was superior (and if we could find oil pressure and volume enough, I'd buy one of his furnace filter rigs as you can just go buy the fine filter elements fairly cheaply).

This time we went at it trying to find oil flow that was enough to cool something  in any significant fashion.   We re-hashed Ed's best effort looking for a clue but found that Ed simply was pushing only half his minuscule high pressure oil flow through his cooler and running it back into the filter cavity.    

Pressure safe up in the head, yes,  but not effective at cooling anything in a significant way.

So, unless Versy has another nugget to offer Savage Bob is on his own now.

Yup, I think Savage Bob got the chance to learn a lot -- we spread out all the issues we have seen in making attempts at GO FAST and what you bump into once you get there.

Bob is still saddled with his beer can big uncooled piston crown and the supercharging combustion heat.  

He could rig a alky/water mist system to lower combustion temperatures at the source ...... but that is extreme supercharger tech and he should go there to learn more about it.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #55 - 02/11/14 at 12:41:35

As Ed says, at the least he has got an extra 3/4L oil capacity.

So his motor has 3.25L of oil of which around 25% is in the oil cooler at any given time. I'd be surprised if this didn't make any significant difference.

Most aftermarket oil cooler setups route the oil from the filter unit to the cooler and back to the filter unit again. So I'm not sure it matters where the cooled oil goes to specifically, it's all part of the overall capacity.

Indeed the only way to tell would be to install an oil temp gauge and find out. Hopefully Ed might weigh in here to answer some questions.

I'm certainly aware that my particular circumstances put me in relatively unknown territory. And I was hoping that the oil-cooler would be one of the measures I could take to help cope with increased heat levels. I'm banking on a conservative low-boost figure, high-octane fuel, cooler spark-plug and very high quality oil in a low-compression, low-rev engine will provide a setup which is more reliable and makes more power for less money than any big-piston/cam/high-comp n/a options.

I'm certainly willing to put my engine on the line to find out.  Cheesy

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #56 - 02/11/14 at 13:05:04

Savagebob:

I am not sure that you will really be making a bunch of heat.  The majority of the time you will be riding around at a steady speed just like the rest of us.  If we need 6 HP (just a guess) to motor around at 50 mph on level ground......my engine with a Wiseco and a cam or your motor with a supercharger are both going to be making the same amount of heat.  You and I are both fighting the same resistance and have to make the same HP to overcome it.....so our throttle settings may be a bit different to accomplish it......but overall we are going to be moving similar amounts of air and fuel through the engine to maintain 50 mph.

And if in fact you are not making a bunch of boost and running pressures that Premium Pump gas can handle.....even for short blasts down the block you are not going to be cranking out huge amounts of heat that are going to overwelm the stock cooling.

Now if you decide you are going to be running 80 mph for hours at a time in 90 degree weather.....then....Huston - We have a problem.

Until you prove the Supercharger is going to work, and that it is reliable and functional - I would not bother with the oil cooler at this point.  My bike has no problem at sustained speeds below 60 and the head temperature stays between 250 - 280 degrees.  If I start doing 65-75 mph sustained runds when chasing Oldfeller - the engine temperature approaches 300 degrees.  On one 1st gear gravel road in the mountains when it was 90 degrees and humid I also got to 300 degrees.  Keep your sustained speeds reasonable.....and you won't have a overheating problem.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #57 - 02/11/14 at 13:39:37

Thanks Dave,

I agree, around town boost between traffic lights doesn't concern me. But more the highway travelling where there is likely to be sustained boost at around 120kmph / 80mph.

Although the revs will be low and the air-cooling high..

Possibly what I should do is install a temp gauge in the head and monitor it compared to your figures. Where abouts did you put yours?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #58 - 02/11/14 at 18:10:59

I used a Trailtech Vapor speedo/tach unit, and it has a temperature gauge built in.  The sender I used is supposed to go under the spark plug....but it would really be tough to mount it there on the Savage as the is no room.  Instead I mounted the sensor under the nut and washer on the left rear cylinder stud.

Other folks have used their temperature gauge as an oil temp monitor and they used that oil galley plug at the front that you have been eyeing for use with an oil cooler.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #59 - 02/11/14 at 18:26:35

Trail tech makes a gage that pretty reasonable and can be mounted anywhere as there are several sizes.

http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Tech-Temperature-Mounting-665-0002/dp/B00BOSJTUO/...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1361141824

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/06/24 at 16:56:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Coooler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.