Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
interstate travel (freeways) (Read 804 times)
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Re: interstate travel (freeways)
Reply #30 - 08/13/09 at 08:22:01

I would think if you were to add weight it should be as low as possible to keep the bike stable. Perhaps a lead weight at the bottom of the frame.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #31 - 08/13/09 at 12:10:50

Skid Mark wrote on 08/13/09 at 08:22:01:
I would think if you were to add weight it should be as low as possible to keep the bike stable. Perhaps a lead weight at the bottom of the frame.
 I'm not trying to be a smart alec but loading your bike down with weight will prematurely wear out your tires, drivetrain and engine. Practice the art of countersteering. That will get you through a high wind situation. I got caught in the edge of a tornado in West Va. A police officer came by and knew I was in trouble (there was no shelter available) He told me to follow him to an abandoned warehouse. The winds were 70+ mph. I made it to the warehouse by countersteering into the wind. Once inside the warehouse I parked my bike and got in the car with the police officer. Never been so glad to see a cop in my life. He probably saved me and my bike. I'm not claiming to be a great rider. I'm 54 and I still learn something new every time I ride. Motorcycle modifications will never get you through a jam like good riding skills.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #32 - 08/13/09 at 12:20:51

Are you saying riding double will really wear out the motorcycle fast.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #33 - 08/13/09 at 12:49:56

bill67 wrote on 08/13/09 at 12:20:51:
There are a lot of variables, your weight and your partners weight, weight of luggage etc. Think about it, when you increase weight you increase the load on the tires, drivetrain and engine. The manual recommends putting extra air in your tires when you double. The reason for the extra air is the increased load on the tires. A surefire way to find out your clutch is slipping is to ride double. I plan on doubling my wife on my Savage. When I do I will increase the air pressure of the tires. I will not lug off the line. I will remember I can't stop as quick and I will allow for this. When riding double if you realize what's going on with your bike and allow for it you can keep the extra wear and tear to a minimum. Ex., if you have a pickup with a load capacity of 2000 lbs. how long are the tires, drivetrain, brakes and engine going to last if you keep 2000 lbs in the back of the truck all the time?

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #34 - 08/13/09 at 13:07:14

Eating lots of sweets saves you from having to attach extra weight to the bike. I've proven that Cheesy

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #35 - 08/13/09 at 13:12:10

Midnightrider wrote on 08/13/09 at 12:49:56:
bill67 wrote on 08/13/09 at 12:20:51:
There are a lot of variables, your weight and your partners weight, weight of luggage etc. Think about it, when you increase weight you increase the load on the tires, drivetrain and engine. The manual recommends putting extra air in your tires when you double. The reason for the extra air is the increased load on the tires. A surefire way to find out your clutch is slipping is to ride double. I plan on doubling my wife on my Savage. When I do I will increase the air pressure of the tires. I will not lug off the line. I will remember I can't stop as quick and I will allow for this. When riding double if you realize what's going on with your bike and allow for it you can keep the extra wear and tear to a minimum. Ex., if you have a pickup with a load capacity of 2000 lbs. how long are the tires, drivetrain, brakes and engine going to last if you keep 2000 lbs in the back of the truck all the time?

I been riding for 38 years a lot of double riding and I've aways had a truck since  1957,but after all the years I learned something today Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #36 - 08/13/09 at 16:54:54

[/quote]
   I been riding for 38 years a lot of double riding and I've aways had a truck since  1957,but after all the years I learned something today Roll Eyes [/quote] Bill I'm a newbie on this forum and the last thing I want to do is get started off on the wrong foot. I'm 54 and I started riding when I was 8. I've owned over twenty bikes and I've ridden over 300,000 mi. I quit riding 4 years ago. I've got severe health issues going on. I have heart trouble and now I have Lupus. I bought an 03 Savage 2 weeks ago because I can't get motorcycles out of my system. I can't ride as much as I use to but the bike is in my garage if I want to go for a spin. I'm an Iron Butt ascociation member but I doubt if I'm ever able to do another 1000 mi ride in 24 hrs. I've lost a lot of dear friends in this sport and now when I look back on it most of the accidents could have been avoided no matter which driver was at fault. I had a friend I grew up riding with get killed 4 mos. ago. From the police report I saw my friend could have avoided the accident even though the other driver was at fault. Carrying a passenger and riding in high winds can be done reasonably safely if you just think about what you are doing and use a little common sense.  I am as guilty as anybody when it comes to not thinking. When I rode my Savage home last week it was interstate most of the way. The Savage handled badly at 70mph. I immediately started looking for a fork brace. That will cure my problem. I found one and was fixing to order it when it hit me, Dummy you didn't check the air in the tires. Both tires were 8lbs low and now my Savage handles just fine. A fork brace would probaly help but its not a substitute for riding ability and regular maintenance. That's my point. I love this sport but I'm tired of attending funeral's.

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 08/13/09 at 17:19:04

Getting too comfortable with any process is clearly a problem.  I'd do audits and safety analyses lots in the past.  Looked at lots of accident reports.  Doesn't matter what field.  Getting comfortable with the process is usually part of the problem.  

The people without accidents tend to be the nitpickers.  Fighter pilots and the like.  It's pretty clear after interviewing lots and lots of people.  Can't tell on the surface.  Sometimes the laid back fellows are tuned into everything and can recite the best way to do any part of their job.  I've turned their methods into procedures and training manuals.  And sometimes the superficially meticulous folks are off in their heads and fail to react well in the real world.

I must say that bicycling really helps me.  The long-term situational awareness training has helped so much.  Motorcycling is quite a lot easier in many ways, and remains nicely scary.  I remain surprised when folks actually see me!  

I've been watching the moto world for a long time.  My brother in law was a pro rider.  Had a couple of nasty accidents.  And a bit of a personality disorder.  He doesn't ride any more.  Kind of a shame.  He's a great rider - acknowledges that he's an average rider, that I'll probably shift better.  Also full of real insight.  And he knows older bikes very well.  I've been watching the various types on the Dragon for 20 plus years, since before it was "The Dragon."

The people I never see in trouble are the guys on dual sports loaded to the gills, dressed in day glo cordura, and taking every corner as if there's a semi around it.  There are semis around one every once and while.  The people I see in trouble are the squids on sport bikes and the laid back cruiser riders who accidently get in over their heads.  I think we might tend to get into that latter category.  LS650 seems very easy and light, quite flickable.  Possibly relatively easy to accidently hit a corner a bit hot.

Regardless, I suspect motorcyling will be dangerous.  I suspect that a light bike on an Interstate at fairly high speed will always present special challenges.  

I'm developing a pretty standard ritual including tire check (with a gauge every other day), wheel check, suspension check, lights, oil, grip, and attitude/alertness.  If I'm not alert and feeling calm, I won't ride.  I talk to myself a lot when riding, too!  

And I wouldn't feel comfortable at all on an Interstate.  I don't like them in cars.  Even though I know my Ranger truck doesn't really offer me much protection and it gets blasted around by truck wash almost as much as a bike would, I still have that illusion of safety.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
horseshoe_george
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Otisfield, ME
Reply #38 - 08/13/09 at 17:26:40

It helps to do the upgrades. I can pass traffic going uphill on the freeway as I can hit 90-95 for passing. Usually cruise at 75-85.

'06, TKAT fork brace, 1/3 spacer,155 main/55 pilot, K@N filter, Jardine, NGK irridium plug, Phillips MotoVision +40 orange hue bulb, windscreen, Hagon Shocks
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #39 - 08/13/09 at 17:31:04

horseshoe_george wrote on 08/13/09 at 17:26:40:
It helps to do the upgrades. I can pass traffic going uphill on the freeway as I can hit 90-95 for passing. Usually cruise at 75-85.

What upgrades have you done? I'm in the process of jetting my carb and I have a Supertrapp on the way.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #40 - 08/13/09 at 18:10:57

Sounds like another funeral coming up.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #41 - 08/13/09 at 18:20:22

bill67 wrote on 08/13/09 at 18:10:57:
 Sounds like another funeral coming up.

Jetting the carb makes the engine run cooler and extends engine life. Back in 99 I owned 5 motorcycles, 4 of which were large displacement sport bikes. If I wanted to ride fast I would own another sport bike. I'm only interested in having enough power to get out of the way and extending engine life.

IP Logged
horseshoe_george
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Otisfield, ME
Reply #42 - 08/14/09 at 02:47:29

Midnightrider wrote on 08/13/09 at 17:31:04:
horseshoe_george wrote on 08/13/09 at 17:26:40:

What upgrades have you done? I'm in the process of jetting my carb and I have a Supertrapp on the way.

Many of us list the mods we have done to the bike on our signature line cause its so interesting to see what others have done.  

From my list below you can see that I have done some mods that unlock the performance of the detuned engine that suzuki delivers in stock form. I think this is primarily done  to meet european requirements for a starter licsence rider to use a bike that develops minimal horsepower for the first 2 years of riding.  Our 650 single can do better than stock with rejetting that BTW should be done in conjunction with the intake and exhaust mods. With more horsepower comes the need to work on the handling. The Tkat fork brace and the small windscreen I installed really help on the highway. I just got my dave quinn Hagon shocks on the other day and hope to ride this evening to try them out. I did little things like the better plug as well but jetting, intake, exhaust, forkbrace ,windscreen have tranformed the bike from a "starter" bike to the "midsized" bike that it really wants to be. I'm certainly not going to ever keep up with the sport bike crowd as they snake thru traffic on the highway bobbing and weaving at 120 and generally pissing everyone off but I would never want to do that anyway.

The mods I have done allow me to merge quickly with traffic when entering the highway, get out of trouble on the highway when necessary and add stability from windblast from trucks. On twisty back roads the bike has become an absolute  grin machine and thats with the standard rear shocks. I can't wait to get some free time to try out the new Hagon rear shocks to see what they add to the equation.

I'm at 6,500 and plan to do the cam chain adjuster this fall.

'06, TKAT fork brace, 1/3 spacer,155 main/55 pilot, K@N filter, Jardine, NGK irridium plug, Phillips MotoVision +40 orange hue bulb, windscreen, Hagon Shocks
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #43 - 08/14/09 at 07:22:25

Midnightrider wrote on 08/13/09 at 12:10:50:
Practice the art of countersteering. That will get you through a high wind situation. ....Motorcycle modifications will never get you through a jam like good riding skills.
Deliberate countersteering is totally non-intuitive, and makes perfect sense once one thinks about it.  When you're hit with a gust of wind from, say, the left, and leaned over to the right, push ahead on the left handlebar.  That steers the front tire contact patch under the bike's present center of gravity and gets you stabilized.  Push harder to lean the bike into the wind and get back on track or to hold your original path of travel.

When adding a passenger or heavy cargo load, increase the shock setting as needed to avoid bottoming out.  When the weight is off, set the shocks back to avoid topping out.

Both Metzeler and Dunlop recommend inflation pressures 3 to 4 psi above the pressures shown on the stickers on our bikes.  In any case, we always want higher cold pressure when starting out on a hot day or fast hot ride.  Metzeler shows the pressure recommendations on their web site's general info section.  Dunlop has it on the Savage/S40 tire recommendation chart.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #44 - 08/14/09 at 09:02:23

I ride very windy interstates/freeways a lot (every workday).  I've got a 370lb bike (Savage) and a 600lb bike (Honda Shadow 1100 ACE) and I get blown around on both.  Why?  Because it's usually ME that's getting blown around and not the bike.  When our bodies are pushed by wind, we tend to tighten up and react to it.  On our flickable Savage, that results in the bike moving around a lot.  On a heavier bike that is harder to turn at speeds, the bike feels more stable in wind.  (My $.02)  Also, the larger your windshield the easier it is to "sail" in a cross wind.

Best defense against wind is to relax and adjust for it.  I've been in high wind conditions that felt like someone pushing my head off my body from the side.  Uncomfortable, but not overly dangerous if you relax and not over react to it.  Trucks and RV's give off bad buffeting because of their large displacement.  Learn how to feel when your entering the buffeting and where to stay away from.  Know where the wind is coming from at all times (SA - read the trees, dust, flags, whatever) and be prepared for it.

I've got a lot of freeway miles on my Savage with no problems.  It's not the bike...

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 15:21:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › interstate travel (freeways)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.