Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Shift rod adjustment (Read 210 times)
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Shift rod adjustment
08/09/09 at 06:03:49

I am having trouble getting into 5th gear. Sometimes it's mushey and other times it feels like it's only part of the way in. Also I think that sometimes it drops into fourth by itself. Can this be adjusted on the shift rod? If not, how?

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Shift rod adjustment
Reply #1 - 08/09/09 at 11:53:18

If you think it might be caused by the lever being too high,.. try it and see if it helps...
Sounds like your not pulling up far enough,.... or, shift dogs are going...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #2 - 08/09/09 at 12:37:02

A number of us have problems with a notchy 4-5 shift.  Keep upward pressure on the shift lever when letting out the clutch.  You will feel the gear click into place.

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #3 - 08/09/09 at 14:58:23

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/10/09 at 08:31:31

Ive held my toe up on the shifter when I didnt feel it click in, Ive not done same, Ive let the clutch out & pulled it back in & tried to UNCH the shifter up a bit, never moves like its doing anything. But, Ive never had it drop out of 5th once I let the clutch out. Sometimes it just goes all the way into 5th, sometimes No, If it starts acting like it doesnt want to play, I stop using the clutch & just shift it. Roll the throttle off, jack the shifter & hit the gas & Its never balked on me that way. Now 1st to 2nd,, thats a different story. I dont play that clutchless anymore, too big a jump in gearing to get it smoothly & down that low, any engine RPM difference has the gearing to lurch the bike around, so, I figure if I cant get it down pat after a number of attempts, I better not fool with it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 08/10/09 at 09:40:34

1st to 2nd gear is always kinda rough anyways. The higher I rev in first gear, the rougher the shift into 2nd. It kinda grinds then. If I just use 1st to roll off the line and then shift into 2nd it's not as bad. Anyone have the same problem? It's not the clutch adjustment, I got that adjusted spot on, and it's only from 1st to 2nd.

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #6 - 08/10/09 at 12:00:58

I took a ride with the idea of paying a little more attention to the 5th gear shift thing. Each time I shifted, I felt 2 distinct clicks. I tried it several times and each time it was the same. First a mushy ckick and then a distinct click. I think what was happening was I was going to the first click and thought I was in 5th gear when actually I never got there cause I didn't go far enough. So when I checked to see if I was in 5th, I thought it had  dropped into 4th. A few weeks ago I added a tach so I could tell what gear I was in, but the difference between 4th and 5th at 50mph is only 300 rpm. So I guess I really shouldn't care if I am in 4th or 5th, especially on short trips.

Does this make any sense?

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #7 - 08/10/09 at 13:04:21

At least you can still change gears, I so bummed out about my clutch I could cry. I still have not had anyone verify if I have to take the pipe off to get the trans cover off? I really don't want to break those bolts that hold the pipe to the cylinder. I have a feeling the transmission cover bolts will be so long though that I will no be able to get them out with the pipe still on.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #8 - 08/10/09 at 13:53:57

Oldnewguy wrote on 08/10/09 at 12:00:58:
I took a ride with the idea of paying a little more attention to the 5th gear shift thing. Each time I shifted, I felt 2 distinct clicks. I tried it several times and each time it was the same. First a mushy ckick and then a distinct click. I think what was happening was I was going to the first click and thought I was in 5th gear when actually I never got there cause I didn't go far enough. So when I checked to see if I was in 5th, I thought it had  dropped into 4th. A few weeks ago I added a tach so I could tell what gear I was in, but the difference between 4th and 5th at 50mph is only 300 rpm. So I guess I really shouldn't care if I am in 4th or 5th, especially on short trips.

Does this make any sense?

Yeah, I've noticed that probably 60 - 75% of the time I've got a "2-click" shift from 4th to 5th.  I thought it was just my bike, but it sounds like a lot of others have this too.  Brain Trust, what is the explanation for this? Huh

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 08/10/09 at 14:29:25

Someone discribed it as notchy.
That's it to a tee.

On my '96, it got notchy when it needed oil.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #10 - 08/10/09 at 14:39:26

Transmission oil??

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 08/10/09 at 15:20:41

Oldnewguy wrote on 08/10/09 at 14:39:26:
Transmission oil??

You're still shiney arentcha Newby.

Oil is common to the tranny and engine.  All 2 qts of it.  spread around real thin.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #12 - 08/10/09 at 15:49:10

You betcha. New to bikes, but been around almost 69 years.

IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 08/10/09 at 18:56:56

ralfyguy wrote on 08/10/09 at 09:40:34:
1st to 2nd gear is always kinda rough anyways. The higher I rev in first gear, the rougher the shift into 2nd. It kinda grinds then. If I just use 1st to roll off the line and then shift into 2nd it's not as bad. Anyone have the same problem? It's not the clutch adjustment, I got that adjusted spot on, and it's only from 1st to 2nd.

Exact same problem. My clutch was adjusted by the shop not too long ago.  I like to use the powerband from, say, 3500-5500 RPMish, which means on acceleration I'm doing upshifts into 2nd @ 30, 3rd @ 55, etc.

When going into 2nd it grinds, and as far as my reading on the 'net has got me, is that the 1st-2nd grind means the dogs in the tranny gears are contacting metal-to-metal and grinding.

I found when going 1st-2nd or 2nd-1st it grinds less (or not at all) if I apply pressure more firmly than usual to the shift lever.  If I try to do it more gently it'll grind or sometimes just shift into Neutral and not make it into the desired gear in 1 step.

-Pabst

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #14 - 08/11/09 at 09:26:56

[quote author=5757545740030001320 link=1249823029/0#13 date=1249955816]ralfyguy wrote on 08/10/09 at 09:40:34:
When going into 2nd it grinds, and as far as my reading on the 'net has got me, is that the 1st-2nd grind means the dogs in the tranny gears are contacting metal-to-metal and grinding.

Does that mean something is broke/worn out?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 23:25:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shift rod adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.