Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
would brake light count? (Read 149 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
would brake light count?
08/13/09 at 13:18:35

this is kind of a continuation of the choppin rear fender ? but i just saw a guy who had his plate directly under the running light.

would that count as legal? would it be bright enough?

i could cut the rear fender, use the original holes or drill new ones on the plate, drill holes in the fender and maybe radiator hose clamp them so it would hang underneath. i guess i'd have to worry about it hitting the wheel though?

just throwing it out there.

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: would brake light count?
Reply #1 - 08/13/09 at 13:21:00

check your state laws.
Most would say the plate needs illuminated by a white light.
Some running lights have a white lense on the bottom to illuminate the plate.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #2 - 08/13/09 at 13:54:34

true, but i wonder if the stock savage running light would light it up enough.

i just called dmv and sherrif's office because i heard they now allow vertical license plates, neither office knew lol

it used to be 1000 bucks for a vertical plate!!  Shocked

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/13/09 at 14:53:08

Not if it's not got a white light,.... drill a little hole and stick a clear button in it, and you're legal... glue in a piece of a plastic soda bottle,... you can buy L.e.d. buttons...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #4 - 08/14/09 at 09:48:02

lol now you're talking!!

maybe i can take the wires from the old license plate light and use them for another type of white light?

because if i just take that whole license plate assembly off i assume i'll just tape and wire nut those wires off and tuck them somewhere lol

maybe i'll look for a small white light!

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #5 - 08/14/09 at 10:43:10

check the ama's website for the vertical tag law, i'm pretty sure they overturned it.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #6 - 08/14/09 at 12:21:32

AutoZone and the like sell little led lights that are on the end of bolts. I believe they are made for license plates. Take the license plate bracket and light off from your fender, cut the wires and then splice them onto the "bolt lights". You'd just need to determine the best way to run the wires to avoid the wheel and belt.

Depending on what route you go with where you mount the plate at would determine where you need to run the wires.

This isn't the best shot, but it'll give you an idea:

I removed the bracket, light, etc and relocated my plate to the vertical mount off the axle nut. I did NOT put a light on my plate yet, but need to get that taken care of ASAP.

Although - my plan is to remove the seat and go with a solo seat and trailer fender... You could take the tail light off from where it sits now and PROBABLY mount it from under the fender some how?

I think my plan is to go with a set of red turn signals that will double as my brake lights. There's a few bikes in my town that have that setup (I believe it's stock from HD that way) and it looks sweet.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #7 - 08/14/09 at 20:44:58

I just read where they did overturn the ruling on the vertical plate law.On my Harley I had the bolts with the white LED in them.Most states require a white license plate light.So not to change the apperance of the plate with colored lights.Most aftermarket taillights have the clear window for plate illumination.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #8 - 08/14/09 at 21:46:51

ok cool! so if i don't go vertical(the cops don't even know it's changed yet! lol) i def wanna illuminate it the right way!

bikes were looking sweet gentlemen btw !

maybe this weekend or monday i'm gonna take off the chrome side rails and mount the aftermarket blinkers to the fender. they have threads on the end of them so i'll probably cut the wires so can i get a bolt behind em and screw them in!

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #9 - 08/15/09 at 05:02:52

You shouldn't have to cut any wires on the aftermarket lenses... The nut will slip over the wires. I did that with those "mini turns" that you can see in my pics. The fit in any of the 4 holes on the fender.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 15:21:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › would brake light count?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.