Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
interstate travel (freeways) (Read 804 times)
dhowe003
YaBB Newbies

87' bobber

Kansas
Re: interstate travel (freeways)
Reply #15 - 08/11/09 at 11:09:46

I have a 45 mile ride each way to work and I live out in the country. THe speed limit most of the way is 65mph and most traffic (both cars, and that pickup) go around 70mph. I cruise it at 70mph and it feels great. There are two bridges that I cross and the cool air from the lake feels nice, but I do get the gusts that move me and have me tilted sideways, but in Kansas the wind is never your friend. I think the bike handles well considering the small size and it can keep up on the interstate just fine. I will say that I got into early morning fog today and country roads don't ave lights so it was scarry,   Shocked I should have stopped, but I couldn't be late.

GOD bless America!!
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #16 - 08/11/09 at 11:36:00

Statistically the freeway is one of the safest places to ride. I guess because of no intersections and fewer deer. But if you do go down at freeway speeds its not going to be pretty.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #17 - 08/11/09 at 12:10:07

My bike is basically stock. I did pop the brass plug so I don't backfire anymore. She seems to like running at 60mph the best. I do ride on the interstate but I stay to the right usally and run at the limit or if traffic is pushing me I will go 5mph over the limit. If you hit 80mph your about tapped out, don't exspect the normal pull of power you get from twisting your right hand. I also have a windshield and bags. I don't notice any problems iwth wind unless we are talking really strong winds.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #18 - 08/11/09 at 12:22:00

Ken,

Get one of David Hough's books...I prefer More Proficient Motorcycling.  He has a lot of tactics for safe riding in traffic.

Always, always, expect drivers to do something dumb that will get you hurt.  Ride totally defensively.  Make yourself as visible as possible, watch for bad road surface, and be ready for every driver to drive into you.  Be aware of trucker's poor range of visiblility in their mirrors and stay out of their way.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #19 - 08/11/09 at 13:37:46

dhowe003 wrote on 08/11/09 at 11:09:46:
but in Kansas the wind is never your friend.

When I golfed a lot in Kansas, I liked having the wind at my back on par 4s and 5s.  It was my friend then!  Smiley

What part of Kansas are you in?  I lived in Hays from 1992 to 1996.  Didn't have a motorcycle then, but I can imagine the wind is treacherous on a 2-wheeler.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 08/12/09 at 08:18:59

Duane wrote on 08/11/09 at 12:10:07:
My bike is basically stock. I did pop the brass plug so I don't backfire anymore. She seems to like running at 60mph the best. I do ride on the interstate but I stay to the right usally and run at the limit or if traffic is pushing me I will go 5mph over the limit. If you hit 80mph your about tapped out, don't exspect the normal pull of power you get from twisting your right hand. I also have a windshield and bags. I don't notice any problems iwth wind unless we are talking really strong winds.

Lane position is important for safety. Riding on the right side of the right lane invites people to encroach. If a car faster than you passes on the left & someone faster than them wants by, they might just swing over at you to clear the bumper of the first car. When I was riding 10 speeds in traffic I would take enough of the lane to force them around me & not let them pin me on the curb, because if I was just a foot or so off the curb, they'd fly by me & not even hang a wheel in the other lane. ( Talking about 4 lane roads. 2 lanes were a bit harrier, had to watch them a lot closer) & for the record, while I was on a bicycle, I wasnt, by any means, a slow moving vehicle. If I was in traffic I was moving at or near the speed limit & above it sometimes. If I was needing a break I'd hit a residential street & cool down, then get back on one of the more main arteries thru town & run with the cars.

In town it can create a situation where people pull out in front of a rider because they couldnt be seen by the driver, sitting at a stop sign. In Odessa, I pulled out in front of a guy on a bike. He was hugging the curb & there were trees & shrubs near the road. From where I was sitting, at a stop sign, he was invisible. After the near miss, I followed him home. I asked if that had ever happened before & he said he had nearly been hit there several times. I explained how it happened & that if he had been out by the center line, I could have seen him. I bet he changed his lane position.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #21 - 08/12/09 at 08:58:03

I go to school in Pittsburgh, and am from Erie, so I travel between the two fairly frequently. It is about 120 miles one way, and I've done that one plenty of times on the savage.

I'm still trying to find the right jetting (weather and schedule make it rough), so i top out around 75, but i cruise at 65-70 most of the time without issue.

stop about halfway through, pump a little over a gallon into my tank, but mainly do the stop just to rest my arse.

watch out for passing semis, large vans, and SUVs. they throw wind off them like crazy, though there are a few models of each that get a nice big pocket of still air behind them that i like to ride in for a few minutes. at a reasonable distance, of course. the "2 second" rule really needs to be more like the "5 to 7 second" rule on the highway.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #22 - 08/12/09 at 09:16:38

Talking about semi's, if you're ever beside one and you hear a tire slapping get the hell away immediately. Even if you have to back off and slow down do it. Semis will throw recaps, especially this time of year with the heat and the recaps will do all kinds of nasty things to a motorcycle rider. The recaps can lock your front wheel up, even break your neck if they hit you just right. I was pulling my boat and a semi threw a recap and it hit my boat and severely damaged it. I cringe when I think what could have happened if I had been on my motorcycle.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #23 - 08/12/09 at 09:57:07

Midnightrider wrote on 08/12/09 at 09:16:38:
Talking about semi's, if you're ever beside one and you hear a tire slapping get the hell away immediately. Even if you have to back off and slow down do it. Semis will throw recaps, especially this time of year with the heat and the recaps will do all kinds of nasty things to a motorcycle rider. The recaps can lock your front wheel up, even break your neck if they hit you just right. I was pulling my boat and a semi threw a recap and it hit my boat and severely damaged it. I cringe when I think what could have happened if I had been on my motorcycle.

i think mythbusters had an episode on this. something about could a semi truck tire blow-out kill a motorcycle rider. the test results: decapitation.

so yeah, i pass semis as fast as i can, as far away from them as i can, as infrequently as i can.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
dhowe003
YaBB Newbies

87' bobber

Kansas
Reply #24 - 08/12/09 at 10:17:23

Quote:
When I golfed a lot in Kansas, I liked having the wind at my back on par 4s and 5s.  It was my friend then!  

What part of Kansas are you in?  I lived in Hays from 1992 to 1996.  Didn't have a motorcycle then, but I can imagine the wind is treacherous on a 2-wheeler.

what's up serenity, I guess the wind could be nice when your whackin balls around. Grin I haven't done any golfing since I've been in Kansas.

I'm in Clay Center, stationed at Ft Riley. I've been here about 3 years and the open roads are nice for riding between May and about the end of September. The winds are the worst this time of year so it is a trade off for warm sunny days. I will be down in Alabama till the end of September and I am taking the bike for sure.

GOD bless America!!
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 08/12/09 at 10:44:39

Quote:
i think mythbusters had an episode on this. something about could a semi truck tire blow-out kill a motorcycle rider. the test results: decapitation.

so yeah, i pass semis as fast as i can, as far away from them as i can, as infrequently as i can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqw4ZooBzLw

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #26 - 08/12/09 at 11:38:12

Another thing to realize is a truck recap does not have to hit you to cause serious damage. If you run over one ( they are hard to see at night on an asphalt highway) the recap can lock your front tire up. At highway speeds that can hurt.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #27 - 08/12/09 at 21:02:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/12/09 at 08:18:59:
Duane wrote on 08/11/09 at 12:10:07:

Lane position is important for safety. Riding on the right side of the right lane invites people to encroach. If a car faster than you passes on the left & someone faster than them wants by, they might just swing over at you to clear the bumper of the first car. When I was riding 10 speeds in traffic I would take enough of the lane to force them around me & not let them pin me on the curb, because if I was just a foot or so off the curb, they'd fly by me & not even hang a wheel in the other lane. ( Talking about 4 lane roads. 2 lanes were a bit harrier, had to watch them a lot closer) & for the record, while I was on a bicycle, I wasnt, by any means, a slow moving vehicle. If I was in traffic I was moving at or near the speed limit & above it sometimes. If I was needing a break I'd hit a residential street & cool down, then get back on one of the more main arteries thru town & run with the cars.

In town it can create a situation where people pull out in front of a rider because they couldnt be seen by the driver, sitting at a stop sign. In Odessa, I pulled out in front of a guy on a bike. He was hugging the curb & there were trees & shrubs near the road. From where I was sitting, at a stop sign, he was invisible. After the near miss, I followed him home. I asked if that had ever happened before & he said he had nearly been hit there several times. I explained how it happened & that if he had been out by the center line, I could have seen him. I bet he changed his lane position.

I agree completely.  Our MSF instructors stessed lane positioning according to situation.  At stop lights/signs, I'm always on the left side of the lane, for visibility.  On highways, if I'm in the right lane, I hang to the left side.  If I'm in the left passing lane, I hang to the right.  My theory is that it makes it easier for drivers to see you in their left hand mirror, plus makes people less likely to try and crowd you over, at least if they see you! Shocked

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #28 - 08/13/09 at 05:49:55

Ok ,dumb question ,but I'm pretty brave on those type,at times.... Wink

If you weighed the bike down any,would that help?(to make it heavier)

Would it make a difference at all.

(Seems bill has answered this before but all I remember is something compared to a bag of sugar...I have CRS sometimes)

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
vhfkid

Thumpin' in ETEX

East Texas
Reply #29 - 08/13/09 at 07:24:33

FreeSpirit wrote on 08/13/09 at 05:49:55:
Ok ,dumb question ,but I'm pretty brave on those type,at times.... Wink

If you weighed the bike down any,would that help?(to make it heavier)

Would it make a difference at all.

(Seems bill has answered this before but all I remember is something compared to a bag of sugar...I have CRS sometimes)

On the 1500 mile trip the wife and I took to CA from TX, we had a lot more weight than our shorter 500 mile runs, it made quite a difference when we hit hard sidewinds and storms in NM and AZ. Each of us had about 20-40 lbs more than previous high wind rides and that little bit of weight helped more than I thought it would.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 15:17:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › interstate travel (freeways)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.