Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
interstate travel (freeways) (Read 804 times)
savageken
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

interstate travel (freeways)
07/16/09 at 16:57:04

Have 2009 S40 (500 miles) mostly commute around town, did go to livermore via back roads.

little sacred of freeways here in SF Bay area. Light bike, wind, high speed traffick, road rage drivers, etc. etc.

Had a GS750 years ago and would go anywhere on it.  But am cautious with the S40.

How do others handles the problems I am concerned with?

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Re: interstate travel (freeways)
Reply #1 - 07/16/09 at 17:05:22

The bike has no issues at freeway speeds. I have a Tkat fork brace that helps the bikes stability a lot. It took me a couple of months to get comfortable on our freeways, but was just me getting my wheels back.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/16/09 at 18:24:55

savageken wrote on 07/16/09 at 16:57:04:
Have 2009 S40 (500 miles) mostly commute around town, did go to livermore via back roads.

little sacred of freeways here in SF Bay area. Light bike, wind, high speed traffick, road rage drivers, etc. etc.

Had a GS750 years ago and would go anywhere on it.  But am cautious with the S40.

I started doing freewway about a week after I got my savage. I rejetted within the week of getting her and then she opened up better on the free way. Then I got a little universal windshield and that helped a lot more but it was a little short. I am waiting on this Dakota 3.0 for tomorrow or Monday. the 17.5 inch height should be just under my nose ( I am about 5'8"). Oh, and this year I used the highway quite frequently for getting between jobs. Ottawa drivers are notoriously unpredictable at rush hour. Manhattan is much less stressful as most everyone, except for cabbies and delivery trucks, follow a flow of pattern.

http://www.chromeworld.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=40...

goodluck

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 07/16/09 at 20:13:17

I just kind of just ride through it on the highway. I live in NJ and highway riding here is comparable to being on a racetrack. Lot's of cars, trucks and bikes constantly cutting each other off while jockeying for position. Local driving is worse, but we're at slower speeds, so easier to make my moves. But yeah, I'm sure a windshield and fork brace would help, although my front end is stock and I dig the wind, but the gusts do throw me around quite a bit at times, especially going head to head with an 18 wheeler at 75 mph, and I admit that I do use the death grip on occasion. You know, holding on for dear life type of thing. I'm 170 lbs. if that means anything.

The HW speed limit here is the pace set by traffic, not the posted limits of between 55-65, and the most popular seems to be 80 for the left lane, 75 for the middle and 65 for the right. I try to hang in the middle lane and keep about 3 car lengths of space in front of me. Cars are always on my arse, but I just let pass me, or move to the right if I have room. Passing lane is worse if I'm riding at 75 MPH. Cars will push you off the road bike or not. You get use to it, but I never compromise the space needed in front of me in case I have to act fast to avoid becoming roadkill. To hell with who's behind me trying to push me out of the lane.

FSO
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/16/09 at 20:55:56

my old Kawa 750 got blown across the road in cross winds. Seems this thing just gets the wheels blown out from under it & my head stays almost on the same path when I get a cross wind gust.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/16/09 at 23:12:50

I ride 70-75 on the highway, no problem, little buzzy, I go over a big bridge that humps up and the wind always picks up the closer I get to the coast but even when big trucks pass me I barely feel it. Still kinda nervous at night hard to see behind in the dark, I've only got a 5 mile jaunt on the highway though until I get to a state road where I get to cruise at 50-60 all the way home, this is commuting but I don't work normal times so I avoid rush hour, commute for me is about 26-27 miles each way so 52-54 miles a day, I love it!  need to get saddle bags though, back pack makes my back sweat.  

keep cool

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/17/09 at 06:50:39

photojoe FSO wrote on 07/16/09 at 20:13:17:
I just kind of just ride through it on the highway. I live in NJ and highway riding here is comparable to being on a racetrack. Lot's of cars, trucks and bikes constantly cutting each other off while jockeying for position. Local driving is worse, but we're at slower speeds, so easier to make my moves. But yeah, I'm sure a windshield and fork brace would help, although my front end is stock and I dig the wind, but the gusts do throw me around quite a bit at times, especially going head to head with an 18 wheeler at 75 mph, and I admit that I do use the death grip on occasion. You know, holding on for dear life type of thing. I'm 170 lbs. if that means anything.

The HW speed limit here is the pace set by traffic, not the posted limits of between 55-65, and the most popular seems to be 80 for the left lane, 75 for the middle and 65 for the right. I try to hang in the middle lane and keep about 3 car lengths of space in front of me. Cars are always on my arse, but I just let pass me, or move to the right if I have room. Passing lane is worse if I'm riding at 75 MPH. Cars will push you off the road bike or not. You get use to it, but I never compromise the space needed in front of me in case I have to act fast to avoid becoming roadkill. To hell with who's behind me trying to push me out of the lane.

Jersey highway driving is the WORST in the world lol. You are so right about the 80mph in the fast lane lol. Its crazy. I visit family in Linden (Union County) and getting there is a female dog. I remember driving through the Delaware water shed and thinking to myself "wow the driving here is nuts, anyone can just bust through the guard rail and end up down below for driving this fast on those curves". Dont get me started on the I and 9. lol

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #7 - 07/17/09 at 07:15:56

You know what really throws me off (pun intended) on the HW? Some of the crotch rocket riders. I could be hanging at 70 mph, and at times I don't even see/hear them coming. I know that they're hanging at 85-90 as they blast by me.

I do appreciate the talent it takes to lane split at high speeds, but on highways with a lot of volume, I replace talent with stupidity. One false move and you're deader than corduroy, and they may take one of us with them.

FSO
  IP Logged
merhlin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eastern Maine
Reply #8 - 07/17/09 at 07:31:17

About 5 years ago on the way back home from Aberdeen, Washington where i took my motorcycle class, we were passed by 2 guys on crotch rockets that were pulling wheelies and weaving in and out of traffic at about 75 mph. I remember thinking then (and now!) that it is guys like this that give bikers a bad name - losing control of a bike on one wheel at 75-80 mph is a SERIOUS recipe for disaster!!! Thankfully, the majority of the riders out there are not like that, although I must say i still get a kick out of the riders with their girlfriends on the back wearing shorts and tank tops at 75 or so. But that's a different post....

merhlin

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #9 - 07/17/09 at 10:13:55

I rode this route last weekend: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=9997+Carver+Rd,+Cincinnati,+... and I didn't have any trouble at all.  71 is reasonably busy until you get to the country and 35 is mostly used by local commuters and trucks headed to Charleston.  My biggest issue was a semi full of cows (smell and flies) and people with landscaping trucks (pea gravel, dirt and grass).  The bike was fine.  You just have to remember that it's really light and is pretty much flat out when you get to 80 so you need to plan passing a little more than you would with a car.

It took me a little over 90 minutes and I even stopped about half-way for gas and some iced tea.

In case anybody cares, it's work to the Hampton Inn in Chillicothe.  My baby brother got married. Smiley

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/17/09 at 11:16:05

I ride I-17 in Phoenix five days a week for a 30min commute each way. Here in Phoenix they have started photo enforcement on the freeways which holds the avg speeds down to about 75mph. I ride rush hour and generally have no problem on the Savage. I have opened the air filter and exhaust which got me better mid range and top end. I like to ride the HOV lane which means they can only cut you off from one direction...and they will! I have been hit three times in Phoenix...never on the freeways. We lose a ouple of bikers a week on the freeways out here, but I believe it is pilot error and young riders for the most part. Bottom line...The bike will do the freeway just fine, it's the rider you have to worry about.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 07/18/09 at 15:17:38

savageken wrote on 07/16/09 at 16:57:04:

I think a lot of people on here haven't ridden bigger bikes,In 2 years I have ridden a total of 5 miles on a very untraveled freeway 1 mile from my house,which I used to ride all time,With the S40 I go backroads It just feels to light for me mainly the front end,That weas 2 years ago I road the 5 miles trying to get the nerve up again to try it,I've been riding for 38 years many miles and many different bikes,I have  Suzuki LC 1500 too,Before that was a Goldwing,I've also road many small bikes on that freeway.My Wifes 1980 Suzuki 400 gn felt safer,Maybe I'm to old for a light bike.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #12 - 07/18/09 at 17:30:31

My 2 previous bikes were both iron head Sportsters which held up well on the highways. Back in those days with the friends I was riding with, Sporty's were considered small bikes. I'd love to test ride one of those LC 1500's for long hauls.

I'm taking my time looking for a second bike, but will have another by next season. My First interest in my budget was the Intruder 1400, then the newer S83, But would definitely consider the LC 1500. The Savage stays with me until it dies. I will not sell this bike to buy another, but I'd be lying if I said I don't want another bike for 2-up long haul riding, especially since Shar became ill and will be unable to ride on anything until next year. We hope she's back on two feet by then. Literally.

FSO
  IP Logged
SmilinLDR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakewood, CO
Reply #13 - 07/19/09 at 16:20:25

I have had no issues with handling on my 2008 S40 in wind or rain. The only issue I have is with a relatively strong headwind which slows me down considerably. Crosswinds do not seem to give me any issues. I'm 5'8" at 240 so it is a little like a brick riding a skateboard Grin

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #14 - 07/20/09 at 09:05:00

I have no trouble riding the speed limit + 5 mph.  My commute is 23 miles, about 18 of which is interstate travel.  One time recently I had a scary ride:  blowing rain reduced visibility to maybe 25 yards.  I was watching front and rear for cages.  Probably should have stopped but didn't.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 15:25:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › interstate travel (freeways)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.