Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stalling at 70 (NO SPARK - RESOLVED) (Read 268 times)
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Stalling at 70 (NO SPARK - RESOLVED)
06/03/09 at 17:18:42

A couple of mornings ago she started to stutter on the way to work, so I figured low gas, threw on the reserve, and rode the rest of the way no problem.  Got to work, checked tank, plenty of gas.  Huh.  Two days later (this morning), while doing 70 on the highway, mind you, she starts to stutter again.  Only this time I notice my tach, which is hooked up to the coil, is jumping 1000 rpm's (4K-5K) right before she stutters.  Running fine, tach jumps, bike stutters.  Any idea what would make the tach misread and make her stutter like that?  I don't like sudden deceleration while in the fast lane.   Shocked

« Last Edit: 07/04/09 at 12:51:11 by eanon »  

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Stalling at 70
Reply #1 - 06/03/09 at 17:28:24

Unplug and re-plug the connections to the kickstand and clutch lever safety cutouts.  The contacts my be dirty.  My clutch lever did that and caused a similar symptom...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/03/09 at 18:40:05

And it wouldn't hurt to check the vac line

WWW   IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #3 - 06/03/09 at 19:44:50

yup, verslagen is right on
could be the vac line from your carb
(try running w/ur valve in PRI, not ON)

Could also be a lose cable (battery/spark plug)

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/03/09 at 21:59:44

eanon wrote on 06/03/09 at 17:18:42:
...  Only this time I notice my tach, which is hooked up to the coil, is jumping 1000 rpm's (4K-5K) right before she stutters.  Running fine, tach jumps, bike stutters.  Any idea what would make the tach misread and make her stutter like that?

I beleave the coil generates just enough voltage to do the job.
If there is an issue with firing sparky off, it will cause noise.
This noise will throw off the accuracy of the tach.
Running out of gas is one way to cause an issue.

So check the vac line for cracks or just replace.
use clamps on the ends, tie wrap or hose clamps.
check for fuel in the line while you're at it.

WWW   IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #5 - 06/04/09 at 15:10:05

Thanks guys.  I'll check it out this weekend and post results!

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 06/04/09 at 15:34:52

Had an odd issue like this a little while after a tach install - I'll guess you used a twin tail blade connectors on the coil to splice in the tach wires - check those two blade connectors for a tight fit

IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #7 - 07/02/09 at 19:20:26

I know I said I would reply within a couple days but I managed to sprain my ankle pretty bad that weekend, so I haven't had a chance to mess with her for a couple of weeks.  Wasn't going to work, could barely get of the couch!

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/eanonhorton/?action=view&current=june...
http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/eanonhorton/?action=view&current=june...

It felt a lot worse than it looks in the pics, I promise!  Embarrassed

Anyway, I got to working on her a couple of days ago, and now have new problems...  joy

I moved the battery to the left saddle bag.  Had to make new cables.  No problem.  Got her put back together and she started right up.  Very nice!  gonna go for a quick ride around the block!  It's been weeks since i've gotten to ride....

(Forgot to mention the battery was sitting on the ground next to the bike during the test run)  Put the battery in the saddle bag, go to start up bike, click, click, nothing.   Hmmm.  

I can see the decomp cable moving.  I've checked all the connections, everything is tight and clean.  (In the process of test fitting, I actually broke a the negative terminal on my battery, so.... )Brand new battery.  Also got a new spark plug and vac line.

I'm in the process of walking through the clymer's,  (Resistance of the electrical connector from the signal generator reads 225 ohms), but i killed the battery looking/testing for loose/dirty connections.  So while it's charging, any body got any ideas?  

(I know this has been covered before, but i searched for 30 minutes, then went page by page, till I hit page 45....
Plus, once I get her running, I can try to fix to stalling issue!  Roll Eyes)

Thanks in advance

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 07/03/09 at 08:32:51

My tach jumped a bit till found that the connection was loose.   How did you connect the tach???  

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #9 - 07/03/09 at 10:08:17

to the coil.  just checked, coil is good, decomp is good, signal generator is good.  still, no spark, as far as i can tell.  i tried testing it by touching the base of the plug  to the cylinder wall then trying to start the engine, like clymers suggests, but no spark.  i guess i'm on to the ignition unit.  think i just saw a post about checking that out, which will be handy, since yeah, clymers says "take it to the stealership".

IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #10 - 07/03/09 at 10:12:25

nope. that was a post about the voltage regulator.  anybody know how to test the ignition unit?

IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #11 - 07/03/09 at 11:29:25

turns out my hot wire going into the starter relay had come un-soldered.  Can't remember who posted that they had the same problem when their starter relay wasn't hooked up correctly, but thanks.  she's turning over now.  still not starting, but turning over.  she always hard to start after not being ridden for a while, so i'm gonna give her a few minutes, charge my battery some more, and try again.  wish me luck!

IP Logged
ineclipse

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/03/09 at 16:09:11

Good luck! Know how it feels to waltz around knowing for certain I've got my problems straight, taking moments to relax and enjoy my brilliant mechanical mind... when I return to find only the opposite. You do sound like you found a major issue, however. Like I said, my wishes are with you, good luck!
-Luke.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/04/09 at 08:27:07

Good find. Just close visual inspection?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #14 - 07/04/09 at 08:40:57

yeah.  just tracing wires, checking connections.  still no spark though.  I used AWG 8 to remake the battery cables.  on further research, I find out awg 8 is only rated to 24 amps.  Could that be my problem?  What is the cranking amps needed to achieve spark?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:29:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stalling at 70 (NO SPARK - RESOLVED)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.