Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Firing Order (Read 170 times)
genejohnson

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Firing Order
07/03/09 at 07:52:25

I have a question that I hope someone can answer without assuming the answer. Since a pulse on a Savage is picked up every 360 degrees, does the plug fire every 360 or 720 degrees? On most 4 cyl bikes, 2 cyls fire at top of their stroke while the other 2 cyls fire at bottom of their strokes. I wonder if the Savage fires at the top of its stroke and at the bottom?
  If not!, the Ignition Module would have to ignore every other pulse and for some reason that doesn't sound likely. Does anyone have any insight to the way the Savage works? Gene

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Firing Order
Reply #1 - 07/03/09 at 08:05:21

Actually noting fires at the bottom of the stroke.  It's on the waste or exhaust stroke.

That said, the S40/LS650 is a simple design and fires every time the piston comes up to the top of the cyclinder.   )One on the compression stroke then again on the exhaust stroke.  

This sort of make putting the engine back together easy.  You just have to line up all the top-dead-center (TDC) marks on all the misc parts and it will work.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/03/09 at 08:07:23

It fires at the top of each stroke, compression & exhaust, a wasted spark system

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/03/09 at 08:07:48

What's the firing order on a single cylinder engine?

It fires every 360°, a few degrees BTDC

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 07/03/09 at 08:30:18

Just like almost every other engine with a flywheel mounted pickup coil. The spark fires every time the magnet on the flywheel passes the pickup. Almost universal on lawn mowers and other equipment using Briggs, Tecumseh, Kohler engines.

My wife's Honda Twinstar used the same system, except that the coil had two wires. One wire went to each plug, and both plugs fired every revolution. It is said that the "wasted" spark may possibly help burn some of the unburned gases in the exhaust, but I have my doubts.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/03/09 at 08:33:31

verslagen1 wrote on 07/03/09 at 08:07:48:

Grin ..now,..now,..now,..now..  Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
genejohnson

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/03/09 at 09:33:54

When I used firing order as the subject matter it was to create interest in the post so that I could get some responses. I figured it was as everyone has suggested but wanted to know that there wasn't something I was missing as far as the Savage was concerned. I guess that means using the Duraspark Module should work on my test stand engine. Thanks for all the input. Gene

IP Logged
genejohnson

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/03/09 at 09:36:17

Thanks T Mack 1 for correcting me. It is the Exhaust stroke and not the bottom of the stroke. Gene

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 07/03/09 at 12:46:00

The sensor is triggered by a dimple in the flywheel. There are two dimples set 180 degrees apart so you get a second or wasted spark every rotation of the crank. I've always wondered if the wasted spark during the exhaust stroke helps to produce the loud pop we all get when backing off. I've been out in the heat too long cause I just realized that you could make the savage a two stroke with that extra spark.  Shocked

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #9 - 07/03/09 at 18:00:59

Ed L. wrote on 07/03/09 at 12:46:00:
The sensor is triggered by a dimple in the flywheel. There are two dimples set 180 degrees apart so you get a second or wasted spark every rotation of the crank. I've always wondered if the wasted spark during the exhaust stroke helps to produce the loud pop we all get when backing off. I've been out in the heat too long cause I just realized that you could make the savage a two stroke with that extra spark.  Shocked

Nope Ed, there is only one spark per 360º... and as other's have said, it is in response to a magnetic "strip" in the flywheel.

In fact, it is possible to demagnetize the strip in the flywheel by mishandling it (dropping it, or hitting it with a hammer). An expensive mistake best not made.

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #10 - 07/03/09 at 23:53:58

LOL! as i read this question i waited for someone to post that! Grin

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #11 - 07/04/09 at 06:25:22

As in, "how many legs does a Pogo Stick have" ?

Cheesy

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 07/04/09 at 06:44:51

I stand corrected, thanks

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:39:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Firing Order

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.