Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
4000 mile service (Read 78 times)
LostArtist
Ex Member

4000 mile service
07/04/09 at 12:03:16

what all do they do at the scheduled 4000 mile check up? and can I do it myself?  where would I find a list of things to do? doing it myself might be hard since I don't have a garage, but I have a friend who would let me use their garage to work on it for a day or so.  my bike has just over 4000 miles on it, I'm kinda strapped for cash since I have inspection due for both my car and bike and oil change for my car, and registration for my bike all due this month. I've already changed the oil in my bike and replaced the front brake pads. I really want to take care of my motorcycle since it's quickly replacing my car as a default mode of transportation.  The tires still look good. Can I put this off until August?  or about another 1000 miles, I drive 50+ miles a day on the bike.  I bought the bike so I could learn more about mechanics so this seems like a great opportunity, this is my first motorcycle and so far I love it!!  

thanks for any advice given in advance Smiley

IP Logged
PTRider

Re: 4000 mile service
Reply #1 - 07/04/09 at 14:13:48

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 07/04/09 at 14:40:05

If you don't already own one, buy a torque wrench at harbor freight for $20, something like this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=239

Yes, you can do your own check-ups. If you get into any trouble, ask questions here. The people on this forum are very generous with their knowledge and experience. I just go slow. And yeah, we're going to make a mistake here and there, it's all part of the learning process. I've second guessed myself a few times with something as simple as "did I put the o-ring back?" after doing an oil change. Opened it back up and there it was. But hey, better to double check in front of the house than to find out on the road.

After losing a couple of bolts recently, one thing I've been doing on a regular basis is tightening nuts, bolts, screws etc., but most bolts can be easily snap, a torque wrench will help avoid that. I've snapped a few already.

I just went outside to check the oil after a 2 hour ride. Let the bike sit for around 20 minutes. Just for the heck of it, I checked the clutch case bolts, and almost all of them were loose. I went around the bike checking everything, and twisting what needed to be tightened. Takes 20 minutes and can save ourselves a bunch of grief.

FSO
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/04/09 at 15:53:45

I use small pliers to slightly distort the threads when ui have one out, so when I crank it back in, it stays.. I use a salt water solution in a spray bottle on the ones I havent pulled, to give them enough rust to keep them in.

yea, Suuure I do,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 18:47:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 4000 mile service

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.