Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Exhaust doesn't line up (Read 661 times)
Rustbucket

Re: Exhaust doesn't line up
Reply #45 - 05/25/09 at 16:09:06

I Installed my dyna muffler yesterday following some of the good advice i found on this site. Something that helped decrease the angle slightly was removing the asbestos pad on the heat shield at the footpeg. This lets you turn the header pipe a taste outward.
I installed the dyna using a HD clamp. (bad ass clamp btw!) tight fit no slop but it leaked a little.
Enter this from Auto Zone>

Goobered alot all around the pipe, reinstalled the dyna and clamped her down TIGHT. Pay attention that you have the dyna rear bracket lined up with the rear support bracket.
A good man can get a bolt and nut in that rear mount and bolt her down.. I however, Am not that man lol.. I said screw it after 30 minutes but i see how it could be done with a smaller nut than i tried. Instead, A decent hose clamp from bracket to dyna support holds it good n tight.
You can reuse the S-40's big heatshield to hide your clamp and hide the exhaust goo goopy part. Looks ok enough for now.

Rode her today!!
Just 20 -30 min or so in city.. No leaks and i like the dyna sound alot! Not as loud as i thought it'd be but it sounds really good!!! I love it! Will put up a pic shortly of the results. Thanks to all who offered advice.

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #46 - 05/25/09 at 16:53:07

Stock heat shield is an option. I really don't like the way it looks, so it's a last resort.

Thanks for the pics, glad it worked out for you.

-D. Dwarf

edit: attempt at image...

It's an image! It's a link!
Wonder why it's so small. Must be Picasa.

« Last Edit: 05/25/09 at 19:31:48 by DrunkenDwarf »  

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #47 - 05/25/09 at 17:01:09

Rustbucket, I see you used Amish pipe welder just like I did.  It works so good my pipe has become one solid piece. I've removed/reinstalled it three times now as a complete unit.  To get it apart I'll need to do what Marshall said and apply flame to heat the joint.

IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #48 - 05/25/09 at 19:27:25

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 05/25/09 at 16:53:07:
Stock heat shield is an option. I really don't like the way it looks, so it's a last resort.

-D. Dwarf

The stock shield isn't my first choice either, I'll look into an alternative when i have the extra $$$

diamond jim wrote on 05/25/09 at 17:01:09:
Rustbucket, I see you used Amish pipe welder just like I did.  It works so good my pipe has become one solid piece. I've removed/reinstalled it three times now as a complete unit.  To get it apart I'll need to do what Marshall said and apply flame to heat the joint.

Until this topic i didn't know there was a decent exhaust sealer out there. haha Amish pipe welder is what i meant to say. Hope i never need to remove it because I gobbed extra stuff around the joint.

Took her out again tonight, Did I mention how much i love the new sound!! Now I might need to look into rejetting, It has a blaaa sluggish feeling at about 70 mph

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #49 - 05/25/09 at 19:31:45

Rustbucket wrote on 05/25/09 at 19:27:25:
DrunkenDwarf wrote on 05/25/09 at 16:53:07:

-D. Dwarf

The stock shield isn't my first choice either, I'll look into an alternative when i have the extra $$$

diamond jim wrote on 05/25/09 at 17:01:09:

Until this topic i didn't know there was a decent exhaust sealer out there. haha Amish pipe welder is what i meant to say. Hope i never need to remove it because I gobbed extra stuff around the joint.

Took her out again tonight, Did I mention how much i love the new sound!! Now I might need to look into rejetting, It has a blaaa sluggish feeling at about 70 mph

if you ever need to disassemble it, remember the "smokewrench" is the exhaustmans best friend....lol  "gooey gobs" leads me to believe you might want a "needle scaler" too...lol

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #50 - 05/26/09 at 13:11:10

No leaks.
That 4" heat shield isn't going to work out. It rattles at certain RPM.

Edit: How would I go about cutting that heat shield?

-D. Dwarf

« Last Edit: 05/26/09 at 17:44:45 by DrunkenDwarf »  

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #51 - 05/27/09 at 07:00:50

Bump in case my edit was missed:

How would I go about cutting that heat shield?

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #52 - 05/27/09 at 07:03:32

1st choice: Plasma cutter.
2nd choice: Angle grinder then clean up.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #53 - 05/27/09 at 07:23:39

Is there a alternative heat shield that can be used? That factory looks horrible.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #54 - 05/27/09 at 08:09:25

I bought a chrome-plated 1 3/4" x 6" sink tail piece from the plumbing section of the hardware store and sliced it down the middle with my angle grinder, pried it open, and clamped it over the uglies. I have a pic, but work IT security software won't allow me to post pics. I'll try to pm you a shot later tonight.

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #55 - 05/27/09 at 08:15:27

If you can post it in the thread, I'd like to see what it looks like as well. Does it get hot? I already have a colection of pants with holes in the right leg.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #56 - 05/27/09 at 09:07:12

Here's a 7" chrome heat shield for $14.99.  

http://www.retrocycle.com/CustomChromeParts/2736/Chrome_Exhaust_Heat_Shield.html

I've got the 10" one.  

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #57 - 05/27/09 at 10:23:00

Duane wrote on 05/27/09 at 07:23:39:
Is there a alternative heat shield that can be used? That factory looks horrible.

just about any thin wall tubing or moderately thin sheet metal can be used... stainless or chrome for a non-painted shield, or practically any metal besides zinc or bizmuth if you plan on painting it(not that one finds much zinc or bizmuth pipe or sheet in the hardware store)... the only limitation is how much elbow grease you're willing to expend to make one...hint for those who would like to make one from thin sheet.. you can "profile" sheetmetal with hoseclamps and a piece of pvc pipe, without getting hammer marks....thicker sheet would require a more robust forming rig.... muffler wrap can be rivetted or screwed to the inner face for insulation(no toasted ankle).... your imagination and fab skills are pretty much the 2 limitations....

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #58 - 05/27/09 at 10:26:51

How important is it to put something between the single walled exhaust pipe and the bike?

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #59 - 05/27/09 at 10:30:31

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 05/27/09 at 10:26:51:
How important is it to put something between the single walled exhaust pipe and the bike?

-D. Dwarf

not very... it might be an issue if you spend lots of time in bumper to bumper 5 feet per minute brooklyn at rush hour traffic, otherwise not so important...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 15:20:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust doesn't line up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.