Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Exhaust doesn't line up (Read 661 times)
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Exhaust doesn't line up
05/18/09 at 18:57:07

I finally pulled the heat shield off to see what's going on between the header and the muffler.

It doesn't line up. Here's some pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mdahrea/Muffler?authkey=Gv1sRgCOrI5KKr5ubRIQ&feat...

It's a Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide muffler that the previous owner installed. It looks like the stock muffler has a little bend in it where it attaches to the header.

Is this typical? How have others solved this?

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Exhaust doesn't line up
Reply #1 - 05/18/09 at 22:25:27

That looks a little loose to me....  could be leaking air, almost certainly really.....  
If you want to put in the effort,... work it till you get a tighter fit.  A little drillin', schoochin', twistin',...
mine butts up tight to the header-stop,... less angle, and no leaks.  
I put it on and off about 5 times....  no easy ways or shortcuts,... You just gotta' get determined...
If it bothers you,... you'll put in the effort...
If it don't, you won't...
some of us are wrenchers..
some of us are riders..
some of us are both...

Some of us will give you better advice...
I just bumped you...
Peace Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #2 - 05/18/09 at 22:42:23

ok, the damage is actually the evidence of somebody grabbing the muff while it's hot(the tan is oil, the purple is glove tips or fingers)... those are fingerprints, kind of...lol  what it looks like is you need a longer mounting rail... the bolt is to the end of the slot, and the muff is an inch shy of the end of the adaptor... easiest fix is a 1 3/4 inch male to female adaptor pipe, available at any autoparts store... remove the muff completely, tap the adaptors female end on the headpipe... hang 2 clamps on the adaptor... run the muff onto the end of the adaptor(may have to trim either or both ends of the adaptor), line up the hanger and install the bolt finger tight... then tighten front to back... adaptor to headpipe clamp, muff to adaptor clamp, then mounting bolt.... you can get a muffler shop to make you the adaptor, and put in the 7 degree bend to angle the rear out away from your brake...(it gets soot on the retaining rod).... a muff shop can fab it in stainless too...

IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #3 - 05/19/09 at 10:59:22

i bet that casued some extra backfires

Serowbot wrote on 05/18/09 at 22:25:27:
You just gotta' get determined...

I have a supertrapp  i had to wrestle with to get on, i eventually got it. Next time i needed to remove and re-install i just removed the whole pipe lol. I made changes, finger tighten two pipes together, install on bike, align ALL the screws (header and bracket at end) and finger tight before you wrench them down.

I hear there is some kinda tape or material you can put inbween the connectors to get real good airtight seal. Is there such a thing in existance? worth it all?

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #4 - 05/19/09 at 12:53:30

Walker Acousti/seal Exhaust System Sealing Compound or an equivalent product from another company at a good auto parts store near you.

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #5 - 05/19/09 at 13:27:27

Anybody know if this muffler and header are the same diameter?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-SAVAGE-LS650-1-3-4-INCH-MUFFLER-REDUCER...

Found a reducer sleeve on Ebay (I'm sure Advance Auto has something). I don't know if it's required or not.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #6 - 05/19/09 at 17:05:42

Quote:
If it bothers you,... you'll put in the effort...
If it don't, you won't...
some of us are wrenchers..
some of us are riders..
some of us are both...

It's not about will, it's about knowledge. The problem is I'm ignorant.

I can take the muffler off and put it back on, but that doesn't address the issue of making it stay.

I guess I could just nail it to the header.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #7 - 05/19/09 at 18:17:29

I apologize for the triple post.

Screwed around with it some more. Added a couple more pictures.

The muffler slips right on. There's about 1/16 inch free play between the muffler and the header. It just rattles around. No wonder it was hard to get a good seal.

That piece of metal strapping was inside the muffler, I guess it was supposed to be some type of gasket?

The muffler gets slightly narrower a little ways in and the header wants to stop there. Is that normal or should I force it?

The single mounting bolt is stuck. At this point I'm not sure it matters.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/19/09 at 18:31:44

Mine goes on to the point of allowing 5/16" between the mouth of the muffler and the shoulder on the Savage pipe.  I had to use steel shim stock around the Savage pipe.  I then firmly supported and blocked the Savage pipe, and then placed a piece of 2X4 against the output of the Dyna muffler and tapped it repeatedly with a hammer.  I used no sealant, and with a Harley clamp, there are no leaks.  The Savage heat shield bolts into place over the joint.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #9 - 05/19/09 at 20:11:04

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 05/19/09 at 13:27:27:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-SAVAGE-LS650-1-3-4-INCH-MUFFLER-REDUCER...

Found a reducer sleeve on Ebay (I'm sure Advance Auto has something). I don't know if it's required or not.

-D. Dwarf

Don't know anything about the reducer, but thought I'd mention that quite a few people on here have had negative experiences with this particular ebay seller "flightsimshop".  My public service announcement of the day! Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #10 - 05/19/09 at 20:52:00

-D. Dwarf

check your headpipe, there's 1 on it in the pic... that's the adaptor the muff isnt sitting on properly.... sorry if i was ambiguous...lol

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #11 - 05/19/09 at 20:55:49

-D. Dwarf

Do NOT buy from that seller. Bad news and don't buy from Kwikbay either.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #12 - 05/19/09 at 20:57:47

PTRider wrote on 05/19/09 at 12:53:30:
Walker Acousti/seal Exhaust System Sealing Compound or an equivalent product from another company at a good auto parts store near you.

as i pointed out in another thread(too late for Diamond Jim though), these sealers are to be used very sparingly... just wetting the inner surface of the female side for 1/2 an inch is plenty... otherwise, it becomes a most tenacious high temp adhesive... no gobs at all...

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #13 - 05/20/09 at 06:54:11

marshall13 wrote on 05/19/09 at 20:52:00:
check your headpipe, there's 1 on it in the pic... that's the adaptor the muff isnt sitting on properly.... sorry if i was ambiguous...lol

Um...

I assume you mean part #5 in the fiche.
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/Mak...

I don't think that's on the header. I took a picture of the end of the header, but didn't upload it. It looks like the header is three layers.

Edit:
Options?
1) Put it back the way it was, hope it stays.
2) Add a shim and/or sealant
3) Add an adapter with a (7 degree ??) bend - what diameter?
4) Force the muffler on further
5) other?
6) all of the above

I'm a little concerned about the tension on the joint. I guess that means I should find a place to make an adapter.

-D. Dwarf

« Last Edit: 05/20/09 at 08:07:11 by DrunkenDwarf »  

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #14 - 05/20/09 at 09:22:45

Yep, I used this:
http://www.itwconsumer.com/productfiles/product_62.jpg

Think of it as Amish pipe welder.   

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print