bad connection? (Read 93 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
bad connection?
05/04/09 at 13:48:28

would a bad tape job on the new turn signals cause the fuse to blow as soon as they are activated?

my battery is fine, and i put new fuses and everything was great..til i hit the blinker...so something is causing a short...i'm going to heat wrap the connection instead and see if that works....

if that doesn't help, i may have 2 comb over the wires with a probe...but i haven't had trouble til i put those new turn signals on so i'm betting that's it.......

on a positive note, i now know how 2 remove, seat, battery, turn signals, and all the covers that go along with those.......trying 2 be optimistic lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: bad connection?
Reply #1 - 05/04/09 at 14:19:15

sure you didnt get wires crossed somewhere?

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #2 - 05/04/09 at 14:31:18

is the problem both sides? or does it only happen when 1 direction is chosen? the signals all get individual hot leads from the switch, and id be kind of doubtful of both wires being wrong.... sure you didnt hook the hots for the new lights to the ground sides? if the signals have 2 wires, but also have a "body grounds to chassis" feature, then switching the wires will give a "hot to ground" short... if you have 2 wires on the new signals, try switching your wires on 1, then hit the switch for that 1... if it flashes, voila!!  some of the aftermarket ones are set up for single and 2 wire systems... those have to be hooked up correct polarity... and, just to make it easier, the manufacturers sometimes use just 1 wire color for both... wrong or mis-installed bulbs can do it too... got an ohm meter? if so pull the 8 wire connector for the bar harness to main harness, pull the light bulbs, hook a meter wire to ground, then probe the green, and black wires.... should show infinite resistance... if you get a reading, wrap your tape connections in paper(insulate them from the chassis, and each other), and probe the wires again... reading?  reversed hookup, or internally shorted sockets(rare, but it happens)... infinite resistance? you need to redo your splices.... can do the same with a self-powered test light....if you get infinite resistance for the first test, then change the bulbs.... to see if the wires are reversed, or the sockets are bad, pull both splices apart... only 1 wire on the new signals should have continuity to ground... if both do, shorted sockets... if they check ok, then put a piece of masking tape on the wire with no continuity(just to mark it)... repeat for the other side, also marking the "hot" wire... the green wire goes right hot, black is left, and the black-whites on both are the grounds....

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #3 - 05/05/09 at 05:37:38

If the fuse is blowing when you activate the turn signals... It has to be somewhere in the lines that you spliced in.

Take the turn signals off, keep the wires away from the frame/metal, replace the fuse and flick the signal... Does the fuse blow? You're going to have the "fast flash", it's the system telling you that you've got a bulb out. If the fuse doesn't blow... You've found your issue.

Are the new bulbs one or two wire (or maybe even three wire)? Some get their ground from the bolts that hold them in place, other use a hot wire and a ground wire. Could possibly be a wire that got switched, as mentioned above...

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #4 - 05/05/09 at 09:36:30

i'll def try doing all that!

the new turn signals have 2 wires, one all black and one black and white....now whats weird is if i'm not mistaken the right rear turn signal has a black and white wire, and the other one is white....is that normal?

i hope it's something stupid, cuz i want to ride!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #5 - 05/05/09 at 11:18:18

That's fine. The color of the wire won't have any impact on how it gets connected or how it functions.

I am going to guess that the black and white stripe wire is the ground, while the others are the positive. But, I'm not 100% sure on that.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/05/09 at 11:29:15

A soldering iron is cheap. Heat shrink tubing is cheap. Solder & flux are cheap. A 30 watt iron is less than $10.00. Solder & a paste flux( get flux, even tho the solder has a flux core & dont get the acid core solder) will last years & cost less than $10.00. The soldering iron stand with a sponge is a good idea, because you can dab the iron on the damp sponge & cool the iron, which increases the current flow & creates a temperature spike. You can do a much better job by soldering. You can practice on some pieces of junk wire so you dont mess up your wiring. Soldering is easy. If you can just barely see the pattern of the wires thats enough solder. No need to glob it on. Twist the wires together but dont lay one wire on the other, have them pointing at each other, so the heat shrink will slip down on the joint.
If you were wearing a long sleeved shirt & slid the sleeve up 1/2 way up your forearm, then grabbed your left wrist with your right hand & your right wrist with your left hand, thats what the wire would look like & the sleeves would be where the insulation on the wire stops.
Then, dab a little flux on & hold the tip of the iron at an angle, allowing the taper of the tip to contact the wire. OHH, Tin the tip of the iron before you start, dip it in the flux about 1/4 inch & get solder on it. Thats first. Just mess with it, you really cant screw up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #7 - 05/05/09 at 11:30:44

ok that's good! what i'm gonna do is, disconnect the rear blinkers like u said and see if that fixes my fuse blowing problem....hopefully it does...my friend said the wires should be soldered because of the vibration so i'll just use hand signals til i can get over to his place...it sux working night when everyone else works days...i can't ever match a schedule !

it just such a pain that something that little and stupid is stopping me from cruising around 2nite!  Angry

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 17:43:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bad connection?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.