Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
she never ceases 2 surprise me! (Read 289 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
she never ceases 2 surprise me!
04/28/09 at 21:01:16

so i had karate 2day, i'm an instructor @ kelley karate center, i teach the little dragons & help out in all other classes except the black belt classes(as i am a 3rd brown). martial arts is my passion, it is my life, it is what i do. the people who have helped me are all part of my kenpo(the system or style i take) family.

SO 2nite was sparring, and i still have road rash so i fought one sided, kenpo teaches u to adapt so there was no problem. my instructor had us doing the coolest things, all classes were awesome!

i get out, call my girlfriend...she's down the street waiting for my sister, i'm feeling good and wanted 2 ride so i told her i meet her there in 10 with the bike. i put all my gear on, wiped her off(backfire not my girlfriend lol) and i got half way down the street, wanted to check something and the bike would not go into neutral....i turned her off, got off the bike, looked @ what i thought i knew what i was looking @....started her back up....got her into neutral and didn't have a problem the rest of the night.....i'm pretty sure my tranny has oil cuz i just bought it fully serviced....

when i laid her down the gear shifter was a little loose so i was told 2 tighten the bolt closest to the seat all the way @ the end of the shaft to the right of the gear shifter(if that made sense) has this happened 2 anyone? could it just have been me? i've never had a problem finding neutral before.......i don't like it when backfire and i argue !!!  Huh

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Re: she never ceases 2 surprise me!
Reply #1 - 04/28/09 at 21:08:36

well aside from you laying her down its hard to say......if it only happened once them maybe its a fluke. you tightened the bolt and its tight now? i say you made the right repair.......i have had a hard time shifting into first though.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #2 - 04/28/09 at 21:18:17

yes the bolt it tight! but not too tight i was told, as it's soft steel and i don't want it shredded.....yeah sometimes when i go into first i try a couple times and i gotta hear a "clunk" and i know it's in....i love the noises she makes....i don't think i'd like being a refined sport bike Grin

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #3 - 04/28/09 at 21:45:18

and thanks 2 john d i can now post some pics with my posts!  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/28/09 at 22:56:38

If the tranny is low on oil, you got BIG TRubbles, cuz thats the same oil that goes thru the engine,

You say its working differently, are you sure the rod that connects the shifter to the tranny is still straight? Have to get down low to check it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #5 - 04/29/09 at 08:15:57

OH!!!!! is that y there's only one oil fill glass? my buddy checked her out b4 we rode on friday and everything is fine!

and when i say different it might have been the cooler weather or just the fact that i was a little ravenous from sparring  Grin

and i'll have 2 check on that, i'm pretty sure it is....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 04/29/09 at 08:27:57

I recently had the shifter completely off, and when I put it back on it didn't shift down very well but shifted up easily.  Moved the arm on the back a couple of teeth, readjusted the peg and it shifts great.

Your drop may have turned the arm for you.  Or may have put a twist in the shifter that needs to be adjusted for.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 05/03/09 at 19:19:25

Were you rolling when it wouldn't go into neutral?

The tranny is sort of old school.  It likes to be rolling to shift.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #8 - 05/03/09 at 21:23:27

um no i was stopped...i've gotten stuck in neutral a couple of times but if i roll it goes right in...is that normal?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 05/04/09 at 03:27:59

Yes.  The gear train must be "in motion" to be able to shift correctly.  The motion can  be small (a couple of teeth or a dog face worth) but there has to be motion.

You can "cheat" a bit while sitting still to put the tranny into motion.  While attempting the shift (mild foot pressure) let the clutch out very lightly until you feel a bind,  then pull it back in.   Most times your shift will accomplish during that very small amount of tranny movement.  Sometimes you just gotta roll the bike a few feet.

Gears shift by engaging sliding constantly engaged teeth and disengaging and reingaging gear clusters using the side dogs on the sides of the gear clusters.

There are shift forks (think tuning forks) that drive the cluster motion thru an eccentric drum that has moving slots milled in it.  Your foot shifter moves the eccentric drum thru a ratchet and pall type system.

Are you confused yet?   Good, you should be -- I am a miserable explainer sometimes and this is a difficult subject.

Go here to get rotating 3-D diagrams and a much better explanation.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/transmission.htm

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #10 - 05/04/09 at 07:07:57

oK! i was just paranoid that my tranny was breaking...i haven't paid the bike off yet & can't afford costly repairs like that lol

but that makes sense, being an older bike, maybe a little wear on the dogs.....hmmmmmmm....@least i figured it out and rolled it a few feet BEFORE the light turned green lol hard to look cool when u can't find first!

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #11 - 05/04/09 at 15:39:59

Thanks Oldfeller. That expaination has taken a lot of the mystery out of the tranny for me.  Never to old to learn!!!!

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #12 - 05/04/09 at 15:57:08

When I know I'm going to be stopping I always grab the clutch and while slowing down to stop click it into 1st already. Unless I know it is going to be a long stop and my hand is going to get tired. Saves a lot of time and trouble.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #13 - 05/04/09 at 17:46:38

Savage_Amusement wrote on 05/04/09 at 15:57:08:
When I know I'm going to be stopping I always grab the clutch and while slowing down to stop click it into 1st already. Unless I know it is going to be a long stop and my hand is going to get tired. Saves a lot of time and trouble.

That's actually what our MSF instructor taught in the course.  ALWAYS shift down before stopping.  That way if some dork on a celphone is coming up fast in the rearview, you're already in gear to get the heck outta there! Shocked

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #14 - 05/05/09 at 09:39:35

i've been told by other people that sitting in 1st for a long time is bad and u should be in neutral, the instructor @ mti said it's not bad for the bike @ all, but it hurts your hand after a while lol

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 06:09:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › she never ceases 2 surprise me!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.