Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Owner & Member (Read 69 times)
genejohnson

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Owner & Member
04/25/09 at 16:41:11

Just purchased an 86 Ls650 today. ($350) Will get it Monday. It comes with an extra engine, extra rear wheel,extra rear fender, and a set of forward controls. It appears to be complete. Only problems apparent are no key/ignition switch, therefore no gas cap key and it is locked.
  Is there a copy of the schematic floating around anywhere that I could gander at and try to figure the ignition out. The gas cap can be drilled out I guess.
  I am not new to bikes. I have been riding one thing or the other since the 50's. But... I am new to the Savage so I'll be asking a lot of questions, I'm sure. Gene

IP Logged
Wolf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New Owner & Member
Reply #1 - 04/25/09 at 16:51:26

Welcome genejohnson!  New here myself... a '99 Ls650 with upgrades soon to arrive  ... yeah!!  Browse the forums and threads, on this one there is a Table of Contents above and a "free fiche" thread. Besides the Clymers manual and the Savage CD (offered here), there is a wealth of information, many with pictures.  In the marketplace you will find the "used parts - for sale or need.    hehe

Wolf  Cheesy

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 04/25/09 at 19:46:39

No ignition switch shouldn't be too big of a problem.  Pretty sure you can pick up a generic one and it'll wire in just fine.  The gas cap might be tricky, think some people have successfully picked it and had it re-keyed to match the ignition.  Do a little research and search over in the Rubber Side Down thread.  Also check out the links in the Table of Contents Sticky Thread over in the Tech. section, just about any topic is covered there.  HTH

-Matt

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/25/09 at 21:44:02

I have an extra set, ig, gas cap, toolbox cylinder and helmet lock.  All keyed alike but no key for it although I can get one made.

I was able to pick the gas cap, never did it before.  Read about it long time ago, got a few tips from here.  It was harded finding the tools to do it.

Get a flat wire, the wire in wiper blades is perfect.  bend 1" over at 90°.  stick that in the keyway away from the pins.  Apply alittle twist in it to torque the cylinder in the direction that it opens in, CW.  Take another wire, put a little bump in the wire so that it will push in only one wire at a time.  Apply some twist, stick the wire with the bump in the keyway near the pins, rub back and forth until it opens.

If you buy a used cylinder with key get one from the same year.  I think there's a different keyway in every year.  Then take a look at the tech section, there's a thread on how to rekey the toolbox, all the cylinders are keyed the same way, but each cylinder is a little different.  Not hard to figure out really.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 09:22:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Owner & Member

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.