Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Start up question? (Read 135 times)
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Start up question?
04/24/09 at 09:55:24

So I am finishing up all the mods I've been doing over the last few months this weekend and I'm wondering what is the method for starting it with the new raptor petcock on the tank?  Do I just turn it to on with gas in the tank and let it sit for a few seconds so the float bowl can fill up before I crank her up?  Whats the correct procedure?  TIA

p.s. I will have pics as soon as I can figure out where to host them?

-Matt

IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Re: Start up question?
Reply #1 - 04/24/09 at 10:02:03

Unless you drained the float bowl or ran it out of gas then it should start up immediately, even without turning on the petcock beforehand (though not for very long).

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 04/24/09 at 10:09:45

Well I removed the tank and had it coated on the inside as well as the carb for a clean and re-jet.  The carb is mounted on the bike and bone dry.  The tank is installed as well as the raptor petcock, however it's empty and the petcock is turned to off.  When I pour in gas in the tank how long do I need to wait after I turn the petcock on before I try and start the beast?  TIA

-Matt

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 04/24/09 at 10:13:16

shouldn't take more than a few seconds to fill the bowl.
It may take a few seconds of cranking to get gas up into the carb and moving along.
If nothing happens, make sure gas made it to the carb by cracking the valve on the bottom of the float bowl.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #4 - 04/24/09 at 10:40:06

I had to check my bowl was filling recently and, if you can do it in a totally quiet environment, if you put your ear near the carb you can clearly hear the gas trickling into the empty bowl.

Took around 5 seconds to fill.

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 04/24/09 at 11:54:00

Thanks guys, I'll post back with what I find when I put it together for the last time tomorrow.  I'm sure there's gonna be a few bugs after having the head cover, tank and carb off the bike!  I cant thank you all enough for the advice and knowledge.  Lord only knows how much I would have had to shell out to have all of this work done by a shop  :'(

-Matt

IP Logged
gaillarry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/24/09 at 14:33:18

I installed a new float valve in the carb last year and still get the odd leak, so I just bought a raptor petcock today and doing the same thing !!

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #7 - 04/24/09 at 19:27:24

Matt

I might be too late, you might have already got the bike started.  I put on the raptor petcock and when I start it for the first time, I just choke it and push the button.  Fires right up every time.  Sometimes I even forget to turn the gas on and it still fires up, it does not run well or long, but it fires up.  I would say just turn the gas on and go!

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 04/24/09 at 20:02:39

Nope, havent started the bike yet.  As a matter of fact, the tank is still on the porch drying from the coating it got yesterday and today.  Bill Hirsch's gas tank treatment is awesome stuff is your tank is even a little bit rusty.  It's been very warm here (90 today!) so I'm gonna give it 24 hours to dry and call it good.  I have done a little more research and it seems like I need to turn the raptor petcock to ON and let it sit there for 10 seconds before I crank her up.  I'll post back with what happens when I hit that
Start button for the first time in 2 months  Shocked

-Matt

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #9 - 04/25/09 at 23:29:23

host em on photobucket Matt! its free!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 05:33:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Start up question?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.