Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine running louder... slight fluid leak (Read 138 times)
BettySue
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bellingham, WA
Engine running louder... slight fluid leak
03/26/09 at 11:00:15

So there is a bit of a long story behind this one... I moved the bike in a moving truck. When I attempted to first start the bike the "Float" was stuck and I experienced some gasoline leaking from the valve which we fixed by rapping the encasement with a screwdriver. Tadah no leaking. I bring this up even though it may be an entirely different issue.

Next I am not certain if I drove it while it was low on oil or not. OOOPS!

Lastly. most recently i took the bike out after repleneshing the oil and its running a bit louder then usual. No engine knocking or backfiring or anything other then the engine running a little louder. So I took it out to see if i would get any other indications from the engine that something might be wrong. The only thing I noticed is a little bit of fluid leakage on the cylinder case. near the center of the encasement and a little bit near the rear side of it. Does anyone have any ideas?

I haven't taken it in yet but the guys at work said maybe i blew a head gasket without seeing it.  Undecided

IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Re: Engine running louder... slight fluid leak
Reply #1 - 03/26/09 at 11:14:06

Might want to start here.

Head Cap Plug/Seal Fix
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1177184297

There are several known leak issues with the Savage/S40. If you look in the Table Of Contents of the Tech section there is a lot of good information there that should help you figure out just about any problem with your bike.

As far as it being louder, I don't know.

Flat Black 88

WWW SavageDanny   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/26/09 at 11:33:29

Where is the leak?  
if from the top of the head, then as directed by SD, most likely the plug leak.
If from the bottom, then it's the head gasket.

How many miles on the bike?  What does the noise sound like?  like a chain being drug accross the table?  Have your cam chain adjuster looked at.  Like a sewing machine?  Have your valves adjusted.  Like marbles in your tires?  Change the air in your tires.

Good catch on the stuck float.  Welcome Bettysue, from where do you hail?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/26/09 at 11:48:59

Im not following. If its up high on the engine, up on the cylinder, then listen to the orthers. If its down low, under the engine, tighten the peg bolts that pass thru the case.
I hope you didnt run low on oil. If you are afraid you did, change oil, so if thers any damage & any metal floating, you can get rid of it. Drag a magnet thru the oil & see what you get, maybe dump it thru a  white paper towel & see what shows up. Its normal to get some stuff.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 03/26/09 at 11:53:07

I think you might have gas in the oil,I would change it and see if thats it,It should be quieter if gas was in the oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
BettySue
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bellingham, WA
Reply #5 - 03/26/09 at 11:58:28

there are no other "noises" other then the engine running a little louder then it usually does.

The guys at work told me to wipe any leakage off of the cylinder case (not sure if thats the right termonology) and see if it comes back so I will do that tonight.

the fluid on the outside of the encasement is near the center and rear - not on the bottom at all. There is a little on the top of the cylinder between the "cover" and the rest of it. I will try and post a pic of it before I wipe it off.

GOod suggestion on the oil change. COUld I have done this damage by running it low? does it sound like a symptom?

I am from Milwaukee but just moved out west to Bellingham, WA. BettySue is actually my bikes name Wink

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 03/26/09 at 12:15:33

Yes if you ran it much if it was low on oil that would hurt it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/26/09 at 14:01:37

BettySue wrote on 03/26/09 at 11:58:28:
the fluid on the outside of the encasement is near the center and rear - not on the bottom at all. There is a little on the top of the cylinder between the "cover" and the rest of it. I will try and post a pic of it before I wipe it off.

GOod suggestion on the oil change. COUld I have done this damage by running it low? does it sound like a symptom?

I am from Milwaukee but just moved out west to Bellingham, WA. BettySue is actually my bikes name Wink

A picture is worth a thousand words.  Confusicous

How much oil did you add?  A qt or less and I wouldn't worry.
And how did you ride it?  Around town a little to blow the cobwebs off or poppin' wheelies?
Cool, so we're really talking to the bike, telling her her rider isn't really nuts or neglectful.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 03/27/09 at 07:12:43

Aaaaaaaa....  when you checked the oil, did you have the bike raised to vertical, not on the sidestand?

Just a thought....

Over-filled oil might make more noise as things splash when they normally don't, and you will get oil coming out places it would not normally.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
BettySue
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bellingham, WA
Reply #9 - 03/27/09 at 12:57:39

I tried to take some pictures ... no luck on that yet.

However a fellow biker had a look and thinks it might be a gasket.

He put his hand on the end of the muffler? And according to where I am getting fluid from.

When I put oil in I did check the bike vertically. I put in one quart. I am not sure if thats too much from where I was before.

Its recommended I not drive it so I am going to trailer it in and see about the problem really is and cross my fingers!

Thanks for your suggestions and I'll let you know what ends up

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:18:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine running louder... slight fluid leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.