Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
rear drum improvement (Read 164 times)
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
rear drum improvement
03/22/09 at 13:16:49

OK, so I understand the whole drilled/slotted rotor thing. It helps vent the gasses created and improves pad contact. So is it possible to slot the inside of the rear drum to accomplish the same thing?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: rear drum improvement
Reply #1 - 03/22/09 at 14:12:39

I dont know if grooves on the drum would vent gasses away & improve the grip of the shoes on the drum, but why would we need to? Stock, mine would lock up with just 3 wet turkey feathers laying on the brake pedal. YES~! I tested that,,
What? You dont believe me? I am crushed.. just crushed.

Anyway, it would lock up with such light pressure I couldnt use it "Hurriedly" w/o sliding the tire, so I modded the brake pads & now I can push on the pedal a good bit more w/o a lockup.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #2 - 03/22/09 at 14:48:18

Would the grooved drum increase lock up or decrease? if nothing else would it cause the pad to wear more evenly?

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 03/22/09 at 15:50:39

You have not made clear the object of the exercise. Are you trying to decrease the required pedal effort? Are you trying to increase the required effort prior to locking the wheel? Or do you have something else in mind?

In any case, whether disc or drum, the rear brake doesn't contribute a lot to the total stopping ability. Given that the front brake is used, the rear may possibly contribute up to about 1/3 of the total effort, on a very-long-wheelbase bike such as a raked cruiser. On a short-wheelbase bike such as a sportbike, the rear brake is almost useless if the front brake is properly used.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/22/09 at 16:15:06

splash07 wrote on 03/22/09 at 14:48:18:
Would the grooved drum increase lock up or decrease? if nothing else would it cause the pad to wear more evenly?

On the front, grooves and vent holes are said to increase braking power.  But even though the savage is a cruiser, it's a small bike and the rear is less effective then other cruisers.
If your intent is to reduce locking up the rear tire, then look to JOG's advice.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 03/22/09 at 23:17:00

I took the edge of a grinder disk to the shoes & made 4 or 5 grooved across the shoes, decreasing the contact area by somewhere around 1/3 or a bit more. I tapered the leading edge of each area a bit. I like the rear brake a lot better now. It will lock up, but I can feel the pressure on my ankle, whereas before, I couldnt even feel the pedal press against the sole of my boot. I like to keep the pedal high, very little play before the shoes hit the drum.

This way, if a mod isnt good, the hub isnt screwed. just the shoes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #6 - 03/23/09 at 07:07:07

Thanks for the sound advice JOG. and thanks for everyones input

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 03/23/09 at 14:01:39

Be sure to use appropriate safety measures. Grinding on brake shoes could be less than healthy, ya know??? Eyes & Lungs,, IDK if they still have bestasses in them or not, or is that asbestos?Whatever, dust from brakes isnt likely to be a good thing to breathe. Dont cheap out here, okay?

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #8 - 03/23/09 at 14:37:41

for sure I wouldnt do this type of mod without a respirator and goggles.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:16:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rear drum improvement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.